Need some advice

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

longyfreshy
Grommet

Need some advice

Post by longyfreshy » Tue Jan 30, 2007 12:00 pm

Hi I am needing some helpful advice to help my surfing.

O.K. bare with me as I give a little backgroud. I am a 164cm, 52kg, 49 yr old female yes I know alot against me haha! I have been surfing a short board for approx. 5 yrs and have only the few summer months to get out there due to kids winter sport committments and plus I live half an hour from the beach. Anyways as each summer comes around I feel like I am a kook again by the time summer finishes I am getting better then it all starts again.

The problem is I like my short board but have trouble competing for waves then when I get them it is usually the crapper waves that you need to be able to get up really fast which I am sorry to say I am a little slow in getting up (last summer head first into a sandbank and stretchered off the beach). My son tells me I am too old and should give it up. But I love it and always wanted to surf being from the 70's it was very male dominated.

I was wondering should I look into getting one of those boards with the wider noses forgot what they call them as it may give me more stability and easier paddling so I can get onto the wave easier at the more fatter area before it peaks too quick. I can still have the small board thing as I am not a great fan of mals or maybe should I try a mini mal.

Also I would like to start winter surfing so need a warm wetty any suggestions as you get older you feel the cold! Oh! one more question is there any boardriders club for someone like me to join as that would help me get out there with someone as I surf alone in Sydney on the northern beaches.

Sorry this is incredibly long but any good advice would be very grateful and if anyone knows a good place to look at boards here in Sydney as I don't have alot of cash. Family comes first me somewhere way down the line.

longyfreshy
Grommet

Post by longyfreshy » Tue Jan 30, 2007 12:16 pm

Thanks Iggy but I can actually ride my short board and you would probably class me an intermediate I am just slow. I forgot to mention my short board is a 6'2" fishtail. I have my days when I surf O.K. and days when it's crap. I don't go out in big surf as I am not strong enough to get out there (I am working on my strength).

Grooter
Duke Status

Post by Grooter » Tue Jan 30, 2007 12:28 pm

Definitely get a mini-mal.

Check out the the NSP range of boards. http://www.newsurfproject.com/
They are very tough and have enough variety in the range now to suit most people.

I have a 7ft 6 mini-mal one. Catches pretty much any wave you care to go for, turns well enough and it's easy to paddle on too. It's not great in big surf as it's bloody hard to duck dive on but stability is very good so once you're up it's pretty easy to stay there.

You can get them pretty much anywhere nowadays, some cheap ones can be found on eBAY as well.

munch
Harry the Hat

Post by munch » Tue Jan 30, 2007 1:24 pm

iggy wrote:^^ ok....
then maybe go to an egg shape...
around 6'8 x 19.25 x 2.5...
good suggestion iggs it'll help with getting on to waves and won't surf to much differently than a short board ..... but longfresh is about half you so maybe cut down on the dimension a wee bit :D like maybe
6'4 x 19 x 2.5
If it's well engineered it's beautiful .

offshore1
Duke Status

Post by offshore1 » Tue Jan 30, 2007 1:51 pm

Go ahead Salty, wadda ya waitin' for, ask 'er to the barbie :wink: .

longyfreshy
Grommet

Post by longyfreshy » Tue Jan 30, 2007 2:08 pm

Hey guys the advice is sounding great. I'm liking the idea about the 6'4. I do like a short board the way it moves etc, and I still want to be able to duck dive. So the egg shape seems good what about those stumpy boards that I have been seeing alot of lately they also have a fish tale.

Where would be the best place to look at the egg shape boards around the Northern beaches. Ebay ummm I don't have a clue, again showing my age. Oh and any idea of how much? I could trade my board in or maybe my son would like a 2nd board as it is pretty nice to ride.

surfin39
charger

Post by surfin39 » Tue Jan 30, 2007 2:23 pm

Try going to a shaper, describe what you can and can't do, explain what you want to do and what you want out of your surfing, and let him advise you on what is best for you. This is what they do now days, and will come up with a solution for you.

Try the big surf shop at Manly opposite Nth Steyne Club house (can't remember the name), there were / are a few mature girls there who organised to surf together (mostly mini mals I believe)

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Tue Jan 30, 2007 2:30 pm

munch wrote:
iggy wrote:^^ ok....
then maybe go to an egg shape...
around 6'8 x 19.25 x 2.5...
good suggestion iggs it'll help with getting on to waves and won't surf to much differently than a short board ..... but longfresh is about half you so maybe cut down on the dimension a wee bit :D like maybe
6'4 x 19 x 2.5
Maybe smaller than Knicknack, but I think Iggy is closer to the mark oh engineared one :wink: now just be a good fellow and go back and re-read what she wrote.

So Long&fresh, perhaps consider something like a Webber CD there is a 6'2", 6'6" and 6'10" in the range and even staying with 6'2" would give you a bit more area without being too minimalish. Made in Thailand :wink: Image

P.S. If Offshore1 starts asking for a photo of your pins just ignore him, unless of course... :twisted:

offshore1
Duke Status

Post by offshore1 » Tue Jan 30, 2007 2:30 pm

iggy wrote:
iggy wrote:Go ahead offshore1, wadda ya waitin' for, ask my mum to the barbie :cry: .
:D

Longyfreshy, much as fong hates them, go the egg. 6'6"

yeh, in the meantime, as modest compensation for all our efforts, post a pic of your pins :wink:

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Tue Jan 30, 2007 2:37 pm

iggy wrote:^^ Munch was spot on with the 6'4 actually...
Don’t encourage him Iggy, he knows from nothing I tell you. :D

Hey Long&Fresh, I got a 6'4-and-a-poopteenth" x 20 x 2 5/8" that I made just before xmas if you want to have a spin. I think the rocker may be a little peaky though, but you being a light weight it may not matter too much. :?:

longyfreshy
Grommet

Post by longyfreshy » Tue Jan 30, 2007 2:44 pm

Thanks surfing39 do shapers ask for fee for their advice or do they expect you to buy a board custom made as that is very pricey. Is there anyone you would recommend? Yeah I think I know the surf shop I bought my last board at Aloha surf shop. Have even bought one of my kids boards at Wicks at collaroy but they don't have a very big selection.

I bought a board back in the early 80's but only had it for one year before going O.S. and living there for forever and coming back with a family. It is somewhere lost in storage which I must track done one day. A beautiful red and white single fin shaped by McCoy I have read some of you older surfers would love to get your hands on something like that. Got the board and the guts too late before go off overseas and hardly used it, such a shame.

longyfreshy
Grommet

Post by longyfreshy » Tue Jan 30, 2007 2:51 pm

Hahahahaha guys you are making me PMSL! Didn't you read the age? Before I would even think to put my picture up I would have to see a true picture of all of you!

Oh I am liking the Webber my son has a 5'11" but obviously not a rounded one and really likes it.
Last edited by longyfreshy on Tue Jan 30, 2007 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

offshore1
Duke Status

Post by offshore1 » Tue Jan 30, 2007 3:04 pm

longyfreshy wrote:Hahahahaha guys you are making me PMSL! Didn't you read the age?

You're absolutely correct, longyfresh :oops:

You're faaaar too young for igster :wink: .

ric_vidal wrote:Don’t encourage him Iggy, he knows from nothing I tell you. :D

(and that's enough outta you e-gregious-ric)

Shaunm
Snowy McAllister

Post by Shaunm » Tue Jan 30, 2007 3:08 pm

There's a Northern Beaches Womens Club, I think www.surfit.com has their details.
Re board you can go a "SoulFish" ($700 new) or McTavish epoxy Carver (2nd hand about $800 from a shop)

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Tue Jan 30, 2007 3:08 pm

iggy wrote:^^ on your next RV custom, i wanna see the word 'poopteenth' used next to the stringer on the pencil in.. (photos to prove it also) :D

6'4-and-a-poopteenth" x 20 x 2 5/8" 'Shaped by Ric Vidal'
I was wrong - 2.5" thickImage
P.S. How the hell do I post something other than thumbnails from ImageShack?

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Tue Jan 30, 2007 3:15 pm

offshore1 wrote:
ric_vidal wrote:Don’t encourage him Iggy, he knows from nothing I tell you. :D

(and that's enough outta you e-gregious-ric)
Was referring to Munch Offness not you.

Come on Long&Fresh, these guys are the kids, still 49 myself and hanging onto it desperately. The age, not the it! :oops:

Butts

Post by Butts » Tue Jan 30, 2007 3:29 pm

ric_vidal wrote:
iggy wrote:^^ on your next RV custom, i wanna see the word 'poopteenth' used next to the stringer on the pencil in.. (photos to prove it also) :D

6'4-and-a-poopteenth" x 20 x 2 5/8" 'Shaped by Ric Vidal'
I was wrong - 2.5" thickImage
P.S. How the hell do I post something other than thumbnails from ImageShack?
RV, use the IMG tags supplied above the thumbnail :wink:
And presto :P

longyfreshy
Grommet

Post by longyfreshy » Tue Jan 30, 2007 3:30 pm

Nice talking to you guys it's been a day of servicing the car and now I'm off to get 2 new tyres bloody hell! Thats not how I wanted to spend my day off.

The advice has been very helpful and I will check later for anymore tips. You all seem like a bunch of fun guys and any help with the surfing is much appreciated.

$700 or $800 wow it's alot I must be very out of touch with prices I'll have to spend a day going from surf shop to surf shop or try and kill myself trying to perfect on what I have hahahaha! na only kidding watch out if you see me in the surf! :D