northern beaches surfers

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

the shackle
regular

northern beaches surfers

Post by the shackle » Fri Jan 19, 2007 11:22 am

how long does it take you guys to get into the city?
i may have to move up to the big smoke for work later this year and am trying to decide where to live.
also do you get raped by rent up there?
cheers.

Kunji
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Kunji » Fri Jan 19, 2007 11:37 am

Where do you live now?

The Beaches is the best place to live in Sydney.

If you are catching a bus from say DY, the Express bus will take you to Wynard in about 30mins. An extra 10 mins from Collaroy.

If you move to Manly you can get the Ferry to Circular Quay in around 30mins or less on a Jetcat (extra cash). Where abouts are you working in the Big Smoke?

Rent is quite expensive for a nice place on the beach. Mine is $870 a month ea for my flatmate and myself in Collaroy, but its an awesome place.
Last edited by Kunji on Fri Jan 19, 2007 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

channels
Duke Status

Post by channels » Fri Jan 19, 2007 11:38 am

I moved over from WA a couple of years ago for work and have been living in Manly. Yes I'm getting shafted for rent but I think everyone in Sydney does. Easy place to live though, Jetcat to the city in 15 mins when its working. Early and arvo surfs and good pubs so don't need much more. Although leaving in a few weeks as going to Auckland with work. Its been a great place to live.

PdogH
regular

Post by PdogH » Fri Jan 19, 2007 11:39 am

I don't know where you live now but if you haven't experienced Sydney traffic before your in for a shock - it's a shitfight!

On an average morning Dee Why to the city maybe 30 minutes if you leave at say 6:00am. If you left at 7:00am it would be at least an hour, then some.

The ferry from Manly to the city is about 30 mins (when it hasn't crashed or broken down). Jetcat I think is about 15 but thats even more unreliable...

surfin39
charger

Post by surfin39 » Fri Jan 19, 2007 11:44 am

Nthn Beaches are definately the best place to live but in peak times the traffic is a nightmare, public transport is the best way to get to the city, but there is only buses and ferries, no trains, so the system is stretched.
Driving is a shocker, an hour from DY at 7am and longer after that (very frustrating), but at 6am the other day I made it to the airport in 35, so depending on starting times you can get a good run.
All of the above multiplies dramatically in there is a drop of rain.

Kunji
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Kunji » Fri Jan 19, 2007 11:47 am

Yeah dont drive! :shock: There is a bottle neck at the Spit bridge. Unless you have 3 people in your car you'll have to get public transport.

I work in Nth Sydney. During school times i get an Express bus from Collaroy at 8am to Neutral Bay (the stop before the Harbour Bridge) and it takes 40-45mins.

Kunji
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Kunji » Fri Jan 19, 2007 11:49 am

wanto wrote:jeez coops that bus must literally fly .. i used to get express (E65) from the swimming pool in manly vale and it took at least 35 to Wynyard.
E88 baby! Collaroy to Neutral Bay. Non stop.

the shackle
regular

Post by the shackle » Fri Jan 19, 2007 11:54 am

cheers for the replies guys. i am kind of tossing up between the nthn beaches and cronulla as places to live.

Coops@DY wrote:Where do you live now?

The Beaches is the best place to live in Sydney.

If you are catching a bus from say DY, the Express bus will take you to Wynard in about 30mins. An extra 10 mins from Collaroy.

If you move to Manly you can get the Ferry to Circular Quay in around 30mins or less on a Jetcat (extra cash). Where abouts are you working in the Big Smoke?

Rent is quite expensive for a nice place on the beach. Mine is $870 a month ea for my flatmate and myself in Collaroy, but its an awesome place.
coops i live on the sth coast at the moment. will be working in the city on the sth side of the bridge

Kunji
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Kunji » Fri Jan 19, 2007 12:00 pm

^^^ Cronulla is great too. Plenty of reefs. Takes a bit longer to get into town though. A bit busier with the train though if you like the hussle and bussle.

longbum
Local

Post by longbum » Fri Jan 19, 2007 12:05 pm

Coops@DY wrote:^^^ Cronulla is great too. Plenty of reefs. Takes a bit longer to get into town though. A bit busier with the train though if you like the hussle and bussle.
yep, I'd say cronulla would be better for surfwise as its only a short run down the coast as well.
That'd be the only place I could handle living if I had to go to sydney.

barstardos
charger

Post by barstardos » Fri Jan 19, 2007 12:11 pm

The E65 from Harbord-Queensie is about the quickest after the Jetcat. On a good day, 30mins Wynyard-Home but Harbord - Wynyard is always at least 45mins but can blow out to 1 1/2hrs if there is a problem on the bridge or military rd.
Ive lived in North Curly, Mona and Newport and it was always too far for me. The worsth thing about buses beyond DY is when you have a few beers in town and then have an hour on the bus!

Clif
barnacle

Post by Clif » Fri Jan 19, 2007 12:17 pm

i vote for nulla way as well. the access to going south is the bonus. trains aren't too bad. getting in and out of the peninsula is very frustrating. also, doesn't get as much south swell ... which can be a drag.

channels
Duke Status

Post by channels » Fri Jan 19, 2007 12:19 pm

The annoying things about Northern Beaches are trying to get home after midnight if you've been in the city. Trying to get up or down the coast on a Friday night after work.

bc
charger

Post by bc » Fri Jan 19, 2007 12:21 pm

Bondi, seemingly the closest beach to the city, is one of the slowest to get to.
From Central Station, a train to Bondi Junction, then a bus to the beach will take anywhere from 40 minutes to an hour.

It is $20 bucks in a cab with no traffic tho.

For the same amount of time, you can almost make it to Coledale on the train.

Go north, young man.

2nd Reef
Harry the Hat

Post by 2nd Reef » Fri Jan 19, 2007 12:26 pm

Well, it's a big city and it's got a bit of everything so whatever your into you can find.

The Northern Beaches is the most beautiful part of the city, and the lower beaches have great nightlife. Beachbreak heaven, especially in summer. Public transport can be a hassle (though Coops thinks otherwise). Not many surf choices when the big southerlies hit during winter. Good, consistent reefs are thin on the ground. Reasonable rent esp. around Dee Why, Manly.

Eastern Suburbs have the best nightlife (by far) and the highest concentration of saucy women (by far). Only beachies (except for Cloey Bommie and The Southy which both break good about once a year - you wouldn't move there to surf em), and pretty ordinary beachies at that. Maroubra gets alright esp. during summer as it rakes in the Nth Swell. Outrageous rents around Bondi, Tama, Coogee.

Cronulla has pretty shit beachies but makes up for it with a swag of reefs (some good, some great). Not many waves during summer north swell patterns, but is awesome in winter. Plenty of south swell options. Easy to escape to the National Park (with one beach accesible by car and six by foot) and to the Gong reefs and those further south. Terrible nightlife, with one pub and not much else. Any single girl over 25 moves to the city. Good pub. transport. Cheapest beachside rent in Sydney.

Kunji
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Kunji » Fri Jan 19, 2007 12:53 pm

2nd Reef wrote:Eastern Suburbs have the best nightlife (by far) and the highest concentration of saucy women (by far).
Where are these spots please? Dont say the Palace.

2nd Reef
Harry the Hat

Post by 2nd Reef » Fri Jan 19, 2007 1:02 pm

Any of the pubs, clubs and bars around Bondi. Plus proximity to the city helps its cause. All beachside suburbs have some good night spots, the Eastern Suburbs has the highest concentration.

The Palace? Seen classier women at Rooty Hill RSL.