Nick's Crazy Board Sale

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Tue Jan 23, 2007 8:29 am

^^yes well he has a thing for flighty famous blondes. Poor bastard.

kk you asked about me leg. Well nine days from now the surgeon will release me from the fibreglass, x-ray the damned thing, and decide if I can get on with learning how to walk again. Here's something odd: having never broken a bone before, I had no idea you could feel the bone healing...but you can! Kind of a deep ache that lasts a day or so, then recedes, and suddenly the limb feels more coherent. Then the process repeats a week or so later. I'm sure it'll come and go like that a few times during the corrective phase of healing, which takes up to 8 months according to the literature. During this time, as the bone feels weight-bearing activities, it slowly adjusts the repair to fit, and finally the repair job sets as true bone. Imagine if surfboards could do the same! (They sorta do -- bend and flex to fit your particular weight, style of turn, waves ridden etc ... but unfortunately the process breaks 'em down instead of setting 'em stronger.)

I imagine you'll all know what the surgeon says, 'cause if he gives me the green light, then I'm going straight back into the ocean to swim beach laps ... and if that happens, all my hot air should warm the water right back up :lol:

2nd Reef
Harry the Hat

Post by 2nd Reef » Tue Jan 23, 2007 8:58 am

Lucky Al wrote:i'd claim the 6'10" nick but i'm 78kg, which is why i was after the 6'8" until 2nd reef to my disbelief and disgust nabbed it when i'd turned my back for a second.
He he he....I'll let you know how it goes Al!

barstardos
charger

Post by barstardos » Tue Jan 23, 2007 9:02 am

Dont get too excited about swimming yet Nick.
There is a lot of tricky joints to heal in ankles and swimming kicks can put funny strains on the ankle. Hopping around in the surf is also very risky.
best you can hope for is to get in the ocean pool and drag yourself up and down the laps with a pool bouy.
Get yourself a wind trainer for your bike if you want an aerobic workout with risk of strain on healing injury.

(This is where I am at now in my recovery. Am very excited about walking without a limp but the tendon graft is at its weakest between 6-9 weeks so I have to be super careful for a little while. Otherwise all is going well and ahead of schedule)
Last edited by barstardos on Tue Jan 23, 2007 9:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Tue Jan 23, 2007 9:08 am

Are we in the discount phase yet knicknack? :D

Hope your leg ends up the same length, wouldn’t want you stalling all the time.

swift
regular

Post by swift » Tue Jan 23, 2007 9:53 am

Hey Nick, what about a payment plan??

I'll take the 6'3 off your hands but $$$ are a bit tight at the moment.

It looks like it would go well in indo too yes??

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Re: Nick's Crazy Board Sale

Post by ric_vidal » Tue Jan 23, 2007 12:41 pm

Nick Carroll wrote:I can't believe nobody's gone the 6'10". You're all mad. That thing is a 20 second tube ride waiting to happen. The 6'3" is siiiick too.
You ever considered a job in real estate knicknack, or maybe writing copy for used car ads? :?

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Tue Jan 23, 2007 1:24 pm

barstardos wrote:Dont get too excited about swimming yet Nick.
There is a lot of tricky joints to heal in ankles and swimming kicks can put funny strains on the ankle. Hopping around in the surf is also very risky.
don't you worry sunshine, I've got my eye on the long term here.

Have bounced back from severe sprains of both ankles and know well the lengthy process of same.

Yet also believe in active recovery, especially when it comes to correct strengthening of ligaments -- they like to be worked a bit so they know how to align the fibres during healing.

and risky...wow!!! Real estate! I'd never considered it. Imagine me in a spivvy suit kow-towing to some arrogant rich bastard over a $10mill Calvert Parade mansion. I'd end up pushing him off the cliff :lol:

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Tue Jan 23, 2007 1:27 pm

swift wrote:Hey Nick, what about a payment plan??

I'll take the 6'3 off your hands but $$$ are a bit tight at the moment.

It looks like it would go well in indo too yes??
Yes it would go very well in Indo -- it's been ridden in various Tuamotu reef passes and responded with what I can only describe as glee.

But! No! Sorry! No payment plans. Recall my motive for these sales -- instant cash to give to Mr Credit Card Surgery Bill.

This sale is like a set of waves: pick one and go....or wait for the next one.

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Tue Jan 23, 2007 1:32 pm

Nick Carroll wrote:and risky...wow!!! Real estate! I'd never considered it. Imagine me in a spivvy suit kow-towing to some arrogant rich bastard over a $10mill Calvert Parade mansion. I'd end up pushing him off the cliff :lol:
Somehow I can’t see you in anything but t-shirt, shorts and thongs, and of course a hat for the solar panel, so this plainly isn’t going to work... that and the whole off the cliff thing. :D

Is Mr Mark Warren still playing real estate or has he been dragged into surf video and empires? Saw his name in the credits of a video for someone not THAT long ago.

Hawkeye
barnacle

Post by Hawkeye » Tue Jan 23, 2007 1:34 pm

Nick Carroll wrote:and risky...wow!!! Real estate! I'd never considered it. Imagine me in a spivvy suit kow-towing to some arrogant rich bastard over a $10mill Calvert Parade mansion. I'd end up pushing him off the cliff :lol:
Hmm, yeah I can imagine that. :lol: Tip: Just make sure you get the chequebook and an autograph on a blank sheet of paper first, and Bob's your uncle. :lol: :lol:

Or was it Rene... your middle name wouldn't be Gordon would it?

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Tue Jan 23, 2007 3:29 pm

ric_vidal wrote:Is Mr Mark Warren still playing real estate or has he been dragged into surf video and empires? Saw his name in the credits of a video for someone not THAT long ago.
Mark is part of the Quik Empire.

and come now hawkeye...danger's my middle name.

kreepykrawly
Owl status

Post by kreepykrawly » Tue Jan 23, 2007 4:47 pm

Ive broken bones, dislocated joints,torn tendons etc
It can be quite addictive :D
The adrenalin rush you get from fracturing a fibula or dislocating an elbow is quite mind boggling.

p.s im talking about my own not somebody else's... that's a different kinda rush. :twisted:

barstardos
charger

Post by barstardos » Tue Jan 23, 2007 6:13 pm

Usually I find injuries just plain hurt.
Its feels like I have spent half my life at the physio, the consequenses of an active life.
Rehab after injuries just sucks.
Go break a leg kk!

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Tue Jan 23, 2007 8:30 pm

Hmmmm, this is going reasonably well, but come on people Mr NC needs to be selling boards. Roll up, roll up, everyone is a winner...

Nick’s got some serious debt to clear, what with the amputee, no I mean credit card, oops sorry surgeon, theatre staff, anaethetist debt and all.

Come on 2ndbeef you can afford another, you’re young-ish, fit, agile. What is holding you back and it’s got Knicknacks DNA on it. :shock: Good karma son...

Sorry Nick, I’m clearly not in your physical demographic, if there is such a thing, as the ravages of time have taken there toll and that whole XXXX training, well it doesn’t look fun to me :?

Hopefully we’ll keep you on the front page though... :wink:

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Tue Jan 30, 2007 11:29 am

Thanks rickity!!

OK, here we go, one more round of Salesmanship.

Gone are the 6-10, 6-8, 6-1 and the paddleboard. All others remain and I shall chant their praises.

the 6-3 is very sick, solid glass job (made for heavier waves) and again I have yet to find a wave it could catch but couldn't make.

The MR hovers in the background, taunting a number of Realsurfers with its presence, but is yet to find a new home, which has me a bit, like "cripes! It's too good!"

The Haydenshapes might be a bit hi-per and small for most RSers but it's a dream board for a teenager or early 20s kid who's growing into their surfing and has the advantage of a highly tuned fin set that's worth $100 on its own.

The Webber is cheap and super fun to ride. So's the MC.

OK I will stop badgering you all now, thanks for all the support so far!

kreepykrawly
Owl status

Post by kreepykrawly » Tue Jan 30, 2007 3:44 pm

What will you have left to sell if you break something else?.You need to plan for the future. You will find as you get older you will break more and more bones and you will have to sell more and more stuff.In the end you will be broke & broken man.You might have to end up selling your body.There are heaps of divorcees in Newport that like the Yul Brenner types.

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Tue Jan 30, 2007 4:24 pm

Don't I know it.

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Tue Jan 30, 2007 4:32 pm

Nick Carroll wrote:Gone are the 6-10, 6-8, 6-1 and the paddleboard.
That just about covers the hire cost of the crutches or did you go crotchless? Gotta watch them typos. :twisted:

MR is STILL there, where’s Fong when you need him? That one will end up a collectible no doubt.