Sneaking a surf in work time

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

mad
charger

Sneaking a surf in work time

Post by mad » Fri Jan 12, 2007 11:07 am

I work for the man so I don’t have the luxury of surfing when I want, but a window of opportunity has opened up for me to sneak in a sesh around lunchtime. Gotta few tricks up my sleave to reduce the getting busted factor, such as parking in an out of the way place, bottle of water to huck out the sand, short hair etc.

Wonder if any one else has got tips (e.g. boards in hot cars), stories, experiences re savouring the forbidden fruit of a stolen surf :?:

Your input will not be recorded or passed on :wink: Promise

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Fri Jan 12, 2007 11:27 am

I got nothin’ Mad and I work for myself :wink: but it reminds me of a story I heard recently, cough cough cough, just clearing my throat. :D

A company with several service vans for plumbers or electricians (canna remember which) recently installed GPS equipment. Well one poor sucker just didn’t put 2+2 together did he :? Spent half the morning at home (not working) went to the local shops for a coffee presumbably, went to the surf, went to the job he should have been doing very briefly, went somewhere else he didn’t need to...

He got sacked I believe :roll:

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Fri Jan 12, 2007 11:28 am

... if it’s your lunchtime what are you worried about? :twisted:

Hound
Grommet

Post by Hound » Fri Jan 12, 2007 11:43 am

The eyes are always the giveaway....can spot whether I've sneaked one in during lunch, just have to pretend it's hayfever...

stoive
barnacle

Post by stoive » Fri Jan 12, 2007 11:46 am

My school ain't close enough to the beach and i dont own a car

mad
charger

Post by mad » Fri Jan 12, 2007 11:59 am

RV Wrote
... if it’s your lunchtime what are you worried about?
I need about 2 hours to travel, suit up etc and have a decent sesh, and am only supposed to take 45 minutes, but atm no-one's looking or giving a flaming rats arse.

Yeah I get the bleeding eyes, looks like I've been on the giggle gear.

In an old job I rocked up to this meeting pretty late after a surf and made what I thought were good excuses but this woman next to me kept staring daggers, which made my ears start itching. I promptly gave them a finger poke and realised they were full of sand from surfing a shory. Hence the stares and now the bottle of water.

KLXracer
Grommet

Honesty - the best policy

Post by KLXracer » Fri Jan 12, 2007 12:06 pm

When I lived and surfed on the northern beaches I had a kick ass boss who understood the pull associated with good waves.

His attitude was basically "You know what you have to do and when you have to do it by, who am I to tell you when and where to do it".

So, a surfin-I-would-go. If it meant I had to put in another couple of hours in the evening after the sun went down, well so be it.

Mine was a predominantly client facing job (sales), so a balance had to be maintained of course.

KLX

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Fri Jan 12, 2007 12:06 pm

mad wrote:RV Wrote
... if it’s your lunchtime what are you worried about?
I need about 2 hours to travel, suit up etc and have a decent sesh, and am only supposed to take 45 minutes, but atm no-one's looking or giving a flaming rats arse.
Yes well if you provided sufficient information from the outset you wouldn’t have these problems. :D Have a good one Mad.

2nd Reef
Harry the Hat

Post by 2nd Reef » Fri Jan 12, 2007 12:22 pm

If your nicking off during a macking or perfect swell it would help if you didn't have Realsurf as your homepage. Dont want colleagues booting up your computer and logging on to read Don say 'it's pumping, get down there!'

Also, when you get back to work dont ever feel guilty. For 2 reasons;

1) It is our God-given right to surf whenever it is good. Surfing is not golf - there might not be waves come Saturday morning.

2) Act guilty and you've blown it already. I've taken my fair share of sickie calls from employees. You can tell in the first 10 secs. if they're genuine or not.

Get amongst it!!

PdogH
regular

Re: Honesty - the best policy

Post by PdogH » Fri Jan 12, 2007 12:36 pm

KLXracer wrote:When I lived and surfed on the northern beaches I had a kick **** boss who understood the pull associated with good waves.

His attitude was basically "You know what you have to do and when you have to do it by, who am I to tell you when and where to do it".

So, a surfin-I-would-go. If it meant I had to put in another couple of hours in the evening after the sun went down, well so be it.

Mine was a predominantly client facing job (sales), so a balance had to be maintained of course.

KLX
I'm in that boat but unfortunately my office is in North Ryde and most clients seem to be either in the City, North Sydney or North Ryde. So to get to the beach is half an hour at best, then surf, then get back again - a little bit too long. Oh well I might try to look for prospects closer to the water...

ether
regular

Post by ether » Fri Jan 12, 2007 12:42 pm

One of my favourite things, the working hours surf. It adds an extra enjoyment factor to the session, knowing that it's an illicit activity. Add to that the fact that it's almost certainly going to be less crowded - a real advantage if you live on a city beach - and it can be truly a wonderful thing.

Forget the little things you can do to reduce suspicion. The big thing is whether people would think you are *that* type of person. You've got to make sure the people you work with don't consider you to be the type of guy who'd skive off work in the first place, let alone go for a surf on company time.

So if you let it be widely known that you're a surfer, that most days you'd rather be in the water, that you can't wait to get home for a surf, can't wait to get away for a surf this w/e, etc etc, then the natural suspicion is going to be that you're in the water, even if you're genuinely in bed with the 'flu. I don't mention surfing in the office as a rule for this reason.

And never ever tell anybody you work with that you fit in the odd work hours surf...even your best mate in the office won't be able to help himself telling a few people and word will spread.

My only fear is getting spotted, dunno what the protocol is there!

Damage
Owl status

Post by Damage » Fri Jan 12, 2007 12:56 pm

Well I don't mean to brag.........

I work in Dee Why......... still at my first job 8 years after I finished Uni..........get to surf pretty much when-ever I want.............. usually wait til 9-10 oclock for the crowds to disperse somewhat................ and can't bring myself to apply for another job anywhere else cause of what I'd be giving up...........

A mans gotta have priorities! :D

bonusbeats
Local

Post by bonusbeats » Fri Jan 12, 2007 1:04 pm

Hound wrote:The eyes are always the giveaway....can spot whether I've sneaked one in during lunch, just have to pretend it's hayfever...
that's easy to cover - just tell them you smoked a doobie over lunch.

2nd Reef
Harry the Hat

Post by 2nd Reef » Fri Jan 12, 2007 1:07 pm

Hey Damage!

Well I dont mean to be offensive....

....but you are a f*cken bastard!

reggie

Post by reggie » Fri Jan 12, 2007 1:27 pm

i duck out at lunch sometimes for a session, but its hard to keep within that 1 hr limit... often i have been 1 1/2 to 2 hrs.. and it has been raised as an issue before...

ive only been at my new place of work for 7 months now, but over the next 6 months i should be able to establish myself enough to get that flexability to surf whenever i want, as long as the work gets done... its just a matter of putting in the hard yards first!

Damage
Owl status

Post by Damage » Fri Jan 12, 2007 1:27 pm

Yeah well i said I didn't mean to brag :wink:

(plus i grew up in western nsw where the surf is pretty infrequent; so i've got a bit of catching up to do)

dammit__01
Owl status

Post by dammit__01 » Fri Jan 12, 2007 1:45 pm

dont bother with it today, best thing to do is go for a little body bash or a few laps in the pool, surf is shit.

At school i got a 3 hour break between classes :D and tuesday OFF, so that results in ... ALOT OF ALONE SESSIONS :D

cs
regular

Post by cs » Fri Jan 12, 2007 1:45 pm

just got back from a quick sesh at curly, which is 5mins away by car.
my boss is cool as long as the days work gets done etc...
Pretty dead in here today, so he didnt even miss me!!
Was fine in boardies too, but wouldnt have wanted to stay out much longer.