two fiths of you are insane!

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

infectious
regular

two fiths of you are insane!

Post by infectious » Sun Jan 07, 2007 4:35 am

do you think rabbits believe in life after death, or whales, or snakes?? or maybe we're living in a parallel universe and this is all just a dream... when you die, thats it, theres nothing! religion was invented to give people meaning to life after we evolved to a higher level of thinking than the rest of the animal kingdom, so that these pagans had something to live for and to create laws by which to keep society out of anarchy... i think that in this day and age its completely outstayed its welcome and that anyone who subscribes to this propaganda should have their heads checked... there are so many different religions, gods, deity's, and beliefs, how can anyone be sure which one is "right"?? this is cause for alot of the violence, suffering and hatred in the world today... there is un disputable evidence that god did not click his fingers and create the world in 6 days, nor did the rainbow serpent hollow out the river murray... and look where mohammed has gotten us... take an objective view of things and realise that these beliefs are out dated and superfluous to the needs of todays society. we have laws, law enforcers and mostly sensible people now who control whats right and wrong... understand we are on this earth by a fluke in the universe, we will be born, we will hopefully procreate and we will definitely die... everything else in between is a bonus and should be enjoyed without the imposition of some silly rules designed to keep superstitious pagans in check... because when you die, there will be nothing...

sorry to break it to you, but deal with it and get on with your lives... sleep with multiple partners, take drugs (but not too many), travel the world, tell your boss hes a shithead, live your lives, dont be a slave to a non-existent belief system in the hope of filling in your subscription for a shot at eternal happiness... live for the now people, while you still can, thats what its all about!
"I wanna be on you"

Bear
barnacle

Post by Bear » Sun Jan 07, 2007 5:16 am

Hey Kiddies! I'm back in Athens and have internet 24/7 so I can finally reply and I'll chose this topic to start it off with.

First off you are wrong....
Religion was not created in order to put instore rules and measures. You can go to many places of with extremely old archaeology and find religious icons. There were no cities back then nor a centralised government! Most early cities were not controlled by religion. Now we can claim(although peoples personal ideologies blur this) that religion and state are two different things. Yes there are laws in religion but are any of them really that bad? I know many disagree with sex with just one partner, but think about it, be nice to others, dont kill, steal etc etc. They are all pretty good messages.(This is obviously a christian laws, Islam and others are different but I won't go into it...)

Yes religion has played a large part in our history and caused deaths, but the major wars, say of the last hundred years, can't be blamed on religion(Even if Mel Gibson disagrees)

Fact is you claim that religion is based on nothing and that when we die there is no heaven but instead nothing. But how do you know? How do you proove god doesnt exist? There is one simple answer to a question like this... You can't see the wind but you can see its effects and feel it on you so it does exist. People who are religious can say that to you and you can't disprove it. Remember as well that the bible etc was based on mortal mens writings about god, the argument about it being wrong can be that it is meant to be interpreted etc. There is no real way to prove god doesn't exist.... If you think there is then please grace us with it...

But anyways why don't you just be tolerant and accept that some people will want to practice religion and some don't and just leave it at that.

But go to the country I was just in and say what you said in that post...

:lol: :lol:

FishStick
Local

Post by FishStick » Sun Jan 07, 2007 7:27 am

Pfffft why do you think that if someone votes that they believe in "life after death" that they therefore subscribe to one of the world's organised religions?

I believe in a life after death but I don't go to a church/mosque/synagogue/temple etc and I don't run my life by rules written in a bible. I don't believe that praying will get me what I want.

I do believe though that you shouldn't step on other people's toes, or cause anyone any unnecessary grief. It maybe cliche, and really annoying for some of you, but I believe in karma. What goes around comes around, and that life is just one big test.

I have so many incredible moments in my life,that just tie in with karma and fate so well, that I'm sold on this belief. The ways that some things in my life just come together are just too amazing for me to ignore. Science and stone cold rationality can't explain why so many of the dreams I have at night come true.

I was born a Christian, then I was an atheist but somewhere in my late 20's I started to become an agnostic and I wasn't influenced by any priests or the like, it's just the way I felt and probably also due to the copious amounts of drugs I took. :D

yanks r us
charger

Post by yanks r us » Sun Jan 07, 2007 8:54 am

id have to agree with infectious.

You cant be entirely sure either bear, people back then didnt have the science and knowledge about how things worked so they assumed these things to a higher power, when we clearly know now thats not the case.

And ever since then poeple as kids are raised up to believing in god, and this is very brain wiring beacuse it is accepeted that parents strongly exert their beliefs and values on their kids, so they are simply passing it on to the next generation.

cant prove it doesnt exist? other way around..

cousteau
regular

Post by cousteau » Sun Jan 07, 2007 10:26 am

you can be certain of one thing.

No one really knows anything, be most wary of anyone professing to have knowledge of the one true path for it is purely speculation on their behalf.

If you are sound of mind, deep down you know the difference between right or wrong, any more dogma than that is purely window dressing ... which is fine, whatever floats your boat i reckon, in fact i quite enjoy religion all wrapped up in its historical finery it's so pretty and impressive.

I just can't cope when seemingly intelligent people claim their way is the one true way.... the arrogance.

prowler

Re: two fiths of you are insane!

Post by prowler » Sun Jan 07, 2007 11:07 am

infectious wrote:there is un disputable evidence that god did not click his fingers and create the world in 6 days,
not really, we only know what happened from the fraction of a second after the universe was created (or came to be) but not what happened before. As for the six days, I choose to believe in the metaphorical interpretation of Genisis. Some people take it all for fact (probably not many here) but its important to remember the Bible isnt a science text book, its main purpose isnt to explain the origin of the universe but for something else.
I havent been brainwashed into thinking any of this. My parents were pretty cool about not forcing any particular beliefs on me and allowed me to make my own decisions. I have read about 2/3 of the Bible casually over the past year or so, and I plan to read the Talmud and Koran after I finish it.

Deadbolt
Local

Post by Deadbolt » Sun Jan 07, 2007 11:48 am

i was never a fan of religion, but the deal was sealed when i was speaking to a christian friend at work and she informed me that christians believe that 'anyone who does not follow their faith' is going to hell. i laughed.

Chamberess
Owl status

Post by Chamberess » Sun Jan 07, 2007 12:37 pm

yet another topic about religion which is turning into a sh*t fight :roll:

can i ask...what is the problem with the old lady next door/the guy who owns your local newsagency or a work colleague believing in a religion?

Are they taking the clothes off your back,the food out of your fridge?

just leave people to their own devices.If you think religion is as substantial as a pile of piss...why go to the effort of making a topic about it?

i'm agnostic.If everyone on here wnats to believe tomorrow that God exists so be it,good luck to you all.

I just don't see the point of yet another topic about the same argument getting posted over and over again...and not to provide an enlightening perspective,simply to ellude that those who believe in religion are insane.It's getting boring...really boring.

Larry
barnacle

Post by Larry » Sun Jan 07, 2007 12:41 pm

I was taught by brothers and nuns and priests - the whole promotion - and after about 60+ years find that two things really stuck - One being that the meek shall inherit the earth - and that's after (2) God renews the face of the earth

That means all I have to do to get southern Qld - in its original state - to meself is to be nice to you bastards.

I can live with that
Last edited by Larry on Sun Jan 07, 2007 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Re: two fiths of you are insane!

Post by Nick Carroll » Sun Jan 07, 2007 12:47 pm

infectious wrote:sorry to break it to you
Oh I think we can mostly weather the shock.

CaT_SPeW
charger

Post by CaT_SPeW » Sun Jan 07, 2007 1:59 pm

if i had of bothered to actually retard all of that i guess you could classify me at least two fifths insane

Dingus
Owl status

Post by Dingus » Sun Jan 07, 2007 2:20 pm

Bodyboarders suck

greygrom
regular

Post by greygrom » Sun Jan 07, 2007 2:37 pm

Dae wrote:Bodyboarders suck
amen

offshore1
Duke Status

Post by offshore1 » Sun Jan 07, 2007 2:44 pm

guard wrote:If god knows everything then he can feel pain yes?
but he doesn't whinge.
God never whinges.
Unless you worship cows.
Then it's:

ImageThat's His secretary.

sydney
barnacle

Post by sydney » Sun Jan 07, 2007 3:07 pm

So, a religion telling people they are going to hell cause everyone else is wrong, is somehow different from infectious coming on here and telling every religious person that they're wrong, and that they are going to spend eternity as worm food, that's it.

There's know way you can know. Personally I'm of the same sort of standing as you infectious (atheist), but at the same time I usually don't go ranting around telling other people what they can and can't believe.

More than likely there's inumerable things that you take as truth cause someone told you, or you read it somewhere, but you haven't actually seen it with your own eyes. (bear's wind example as one, that the US landed on the moon as another). The reason you believe these things is because a source that you trust (book, science teacher, CSIRO, NASA) told you so.

What the difference between that, and someone you trust (religion teacher, priest, bishop, pope) telling you about life after death and god? Realistically, you've signed yourself up to a religion in itself of science. The belief that everything can be explained through certain laws and basic reactions. It just so happens that religion and science are, in the vast majority, contradictory and mortal enemies.

Get off your high horse and let other be. If someone wants to get into a debate about religion (and if you check the religion/.polotics threads, they do) they debate with them. Don't turn all third reich and tell them they're wrong. Damn science bashers.

sydney
barnacle

Post by sydney » Sun Jan 07, 2007 3:09 pm

Oh, the fact that you wrote this at 3:35am, obviously after a huge saturday night, possibly on the pingers doesn't really lend credit to your argument either.

reggie

Post by reggie » Sun Jan 07, 2007 3:19 pm

Chamberess wrote:why go to the effort of making a topic about it?
compared to the horse sh*t topics you create?

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Sun Jan 07, 2007 5:33 pm

Is this about religion or life after death infectious?

I don’t see that the two things go hand in hand. :wink: