Still wearing a steamer?

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

Are you still wearing a Steamer in Sydney?

Yes...cos I'm soft.
38%
No... cos I'm hardcore!
62%

Total votes: 26

Moby
Grommet

Still wearing a steamer?

Post by Moby » Thu Dec 14, 2006 1:16 pm

Can't believe the amount of people still wearing steamers in Sydney. Waters not cold, weathers been pretty warm, it's December. Surely a spring suit or less is all that's required? What's the go, are Sydney surfers getting softer :?:

surfin39
charger

Post by surfin39 » Thu Dec 14, 2006 1:30 pm

I am equally amazed, I haven't had a wettie on since the last week of October, but I do tend to move to the boardies as soon as possible and put up with a few chilly mornings, but I could not imagine having a steamer on now, even my 9 year daughter has been in a spring suit for the past month.
I suppose it's just what you are used to but at my age paddling around in a steamer is just another restriction

reggie

Post by reggie » Thu Dec 14, 2006 1:38 pm

its far too warm for a steamer.

come to think of it i havent really seen many people still in them - with the odd exception.

Kunji
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Kunji » Thu Dec 14, 2006 1:48 pm

Im using my 2x2 short arm. But i dont have a springy and i wear shorts when i go swimming.

CaT_SPeW
charger

Post by CaT_SPeW » Thu Dec 14, 2006 2:01 pm

whhops i voted before i realised it was for sideny. anyway ditched the wettie on the weekend here in vic. most of the other softcocks were still wearing one, but i only had boardies and a wettie long-sleeve coz im hardcore

willie
barnacle

Post by willie » Thu Dec 14, 2006 2:07 pm

i got to the northern beaches at 5:45 this morning and yes... i wore my steamer.

but later in the day (when 9am hit) i changed it for my short john
Last edited by willie on Thu Dec 14, 2006 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

spongeInside
Local

Post by spongeInside » Thu Dec 14, 2006 2:37 pm

springy for the cooler mornings, otherwise boardies all the way.
Heaps of softc0cks still out in steamers.

unmployed
Grommet

Post by unmployed » Thu Dec 14, 2006 2:57 pm

i didnt use a steamer all winter, i was fine in just a spring suit. been cold is all in the mind.

Moby
Grommet

Post by Moby » Thu Dec 14, 2006 3:03 pm

Ringmaster, I'll be down your way between Xmas at New Years. After starting the post, I'll be the guy in boardies :D :D :D

marty
barnacle

Post by marty » Thu Dec 14, 2006 3:10 pm

i had a one off in the steamer tuesday arvo. It was f'in windy but the water was fine.
other then that i've been in my springy since the start of Nov.

collnarra

Post by collnarra » Thu Dec 14, 2006 3:36 pm

winter: Rip Curl 3/2 ebomb steamer

spring / autum / windy early and late summer : rip curl 2/2 ebomb long sleeve springy

summer: boardies / long sleeve vest / long sleeve rashy depending

Kunji
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Kunji » Thu Dec 14, 2006 3:44 pm

^^^ Rippy wetties are the best ive ever worn.

I have the E-Bomb 3x2 steamer for winter, and the Stealth 2x2 short arm for spring/autumn. And a Stealth long arm vest for summer. Or just frame and shorts if i feel like it.

Butts

Post by Butts » Thu Dec 14, 2006 4:17 pm

No springy so if the winds a blowing, like last week and the temp is down
Steamer for me unfortunately for the early only. :cry:

Otherwise boardies since October, although wussed on a couple of mornings
cause I felt cold before I arrived (don't ask) :P

stoive
barnacle

Post by stoive » Thu Dec 14, 2006 6:13 pm

Speaking of steamers

About 2 months ago my Cell steamer got slashed up all over at a certain reef break, i sent it to Quiksilver as it was still under warranty.

Today i go into the store to get it and find that they have sent me the 500$ 2007 yet to be released Limited edition Cell. whereas my other one cost 220$

Great customer service

sharky
Grommet

Post by sharky » Thu Dec 14, 2006 7:30 pm

yes, i'm still in my steamer...

i'm usually the first one in and the last one out.

but what gets me is, what's the big deal?

for me, comfort in the water is key.
and i actually like the added protection--
from the sun, and from other things that may "get me" while i'm out there.

now, i'm a chick, and kind of a slight build, so i don't really retain heat that well...

but again, what's the big deal with whether or not you're "still in your steamer?" :roll:

i guess it's a guy thing.

thats' cool. 8)

Peace,

Sharky

brenno05
Local

Post by brenno05 » Thu Dec 14, 2006 7:35 pm

i reckon its been a pretty cool summer in terms of water temps, i remember this time last year i had been wearing boardies since october....only just started wearing boardies now..
must say yesterday mornings early was pretty cold and i did wear my steamer, but at the end of the day i dont really care, i enjoy surfing in a wetsuit over boardies

mattspew
regular

Not fat enough

Post by mattspew » Thu Dec 14, 2006 7:36 pm

Having been brought up in luxurious queensland waters and now living in chilly WA - I am NOT ashamed to admit I am still wearing a steamer BUT before you write me off it does have advantages - my back only peels about once or twice every summer (I do surf in boardies if its over 35 degrees!). I dont have to worry about losing tons of skin on the shallow reef breaks which are my favourites. I can surf until Im too TIRED to surf anymore not too COLD. besides Im just not fat enough to surf in cold water in boardies - theres no warmth in skin and bones....
OK - now you can write me off.
PS Ive been surfing for 20 years and dont really give a @#$% what any of you say anyway....

rabbity7
regular

Post by rabbity7 » Thu Dec 14, 2006 9:16 pm

I'm soft. I occasionally wear a steamer. If its cold and windy or maybe just before dark. I love steamers though. I'm a wettie man. You feel so safe and secure. I reacon I get more stiff when I don't wear a steamer cause your colder and your muscles tighten up. I have to admit a steamer in the middle of the day if its sunny is abit excessive but I still love em. Another reason i wear em is cause I have the seediest, most painful ulcer on my knee cause of my gay tail pad. The little bigger wont go away, had it for about 3 weeks now. Yeah so in conclusion I love steamers. Especially these new ones that feel like your wearing nothing at all. I also love short arm steamers. I often steal my dads and wear it even though its too big for me. Solves all my problems.