Bondi!!

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

joshalohasurf

Bondi!!

Post by joshalohasurf » Thu Apr 22, 2004 10:42 am

Ok lets start off. no offence to anyone who worships bondi or is a local or a clubbie.
kimmy wrote:Bumba... Why go anywhere when Bondi's in your back yard?!

You can have not one, but two sets of flags, a 'surf-school only' section, 500 surfers squashed into 150metres of beach, and a clubbie on a jetski tearing in out and out to make sure you don't stray from your crappy allotted bank!

Can't believe you're thinking of travelling.

Sorry, know that wasn't helpful. Just had to get it off my chest. Had my first surf mid-morning after five weeks out of the water... wondered why i bothered :(
Well i have a story of my own......

i normally surf the northen beaches but hey ill give bondi ago.....what a mistake.

i paddled out to the south end crowded with kooks and a killer rip as well as many closeouts. i notice a left pelling of the rock wall neer the pool in the north end.

i walk down the beach hop in (keep in mind i am not in the flags at all) and straight away on his microphone the old clubbie yells

'FIBREGLASS BOARD ATTENTION FIBREGLASS BOARD DOWN THE SOUTH END! SPONGE BOARDS ONLY!'

What the F@#? it appears they should just ban surfing from bondi all to gether.

like above they have....
(working down the beach)

* a sponge board only section

* a flag section

* another flag section

* a surfskool only section

* and where left with the rippy close out 100 meter section arent we lucky!

now does that give any one cravings for Bondi?

buzzy
barnacle

Post by buzzy » Thu Apr 22, 2004 10:49 am

Yep, Bondi sucks.

It has it's moments though, just like any other beach. And it can be a visual treat.

bro
Local

bondi

Post by bro » Thu Apr 22, 2004 11:09 am

I am stoked to be on the N beaches with so much variety, I travel an hour a day south and an hour back but refuse to move there even though it would cut my travel time
on a sadder note I was kicked off Manly beach in the weekend by clubbies who said I couldn't surf in a non patrolled area as that was for soft boards only, can they do this just decided what sections of the beach can do what? I respect the flaggs even the blue one but this was between two sets of flagged areas and not patrolled I didn't think they could do that? So it might be happening here as well!

Simple Ben

Post by Simple Ben » Thu Apr 22, 2004 11:15 am

They're clubbies mate, just tell them to put some bloody pants on get fu#$ed.

bumbaclot
Supporter
Supporter

Post by bumbaclot » Thu Apr 22, 2004 11:25 am

they've banned kite surfin at Bondage cause of the safety issues.....Manly is on it's way to a similar set up I reckon.....give it another 5 years and ya won't be surfin anywhere south of Longy! :shock:

buzzy
barnacle

Post by buzzy » Thu Apr 22, 2004 11:40 am

Kite surfing IS dangerous though anywhere there's lots of folk around. I have no problem with it being banned at Bondage or Manly.

Incidentally, has anyone surfed that left that APPEARS surfable over near Ben Buckler? I've heard it's surfable but I've never seen anyone actually out there.

joshalohasurf

Post by joshalohasurf » Thu Apr 22, 2004 11:43 am

yeah that left is real surfable. i havent done it my self but ive seen other people do it. but its looks really rocky and in a big swell i think the rip would be to hard.

philw
Local

Post by philw » Thu Apr 22, 2004 11:51 am

buzzy - i've seen the left at ben buckler surfed. guys on paddle boards when it's not hollow and a couple of time i've seen some blokes on guns giving it a shot when it's more hollow. looks bloody horrible to me. a big nasty suck out followed by a fat wall that quickly disappears into deeper water. rips and other weird sh*t going on as well. the most crazed thing i've seen there is a guy on one of those really long pointy wave ski things (i heard he's a kiwi - some sort of gnarly legend!?) paddling into what i'd call 10ft waves. i later saw him on the beach - holding a broken ski with his legs all covered in blood. that wave is probably the worst wave at bondi - and that's saying something!

caspa

Post by caspa » Thu Apr 22, 2004 11:54 am

to hell with all that.
They have absolutelly no authority where you can and cannot surf plus they take the best breaks usually.
The council only has jurisdiction of the beach down to the high tide mark and they argue this in damages cases quite forcefully so them and their rules can get stuffed.
Fair enough that they put up flags for swimmers - we would end up with the swimmers spread out along the whole beach otherwise.
But they cannot segregate the beach depending on surfcraft type and they definitelly cannot allocate what is in fact coastline out of their jurisdiction to an institution that is out to make a profit (surfschool) at the expense of the other ratepayers.
What are they going to do? Take my board? I'd like to see them try it.
I have witnessed Warriewood where the clubbies flagged a portion of the beach then proceeded to surf in it themselves and allow all their mates to do so.

buzzy
barnacle

Post by buzzy » Thu Apr 22, 2004 12:05 pm

The thought of bloodied legs isn't that appealing. Maybe I'll give it a miss!!

The water's cooling down now so the crowds wil start thinning. With the flags dropping as well Bondi will be a little more pleasant to surf soon. As will everywhere else mind you!

joshalohasurf

Post by joshalohasurf » Thu Apr 22, 2004 12:15 pm

yeah no more summertime kooks! i hope the drop in problem goes down.

_cant_touch_this
Supporter
Supporter

Post by _cant_touch_this » Thu Apr 22, 2004 12:31 pm

I even entertained the thought of getting a foamie!? BTW, what are these like? Fun for a bash, or?
i started out on those surf-school boards at palmy and yes, they are fun.they are like a sluggish mal with not as quick paddling.the rails catch quite easily but can still make for a fun alternative to skull-cracking fibreglass.

as for the bondi situation - i say fcuk it, its bondi for godsakes! who the hell wants to surf yuppie-infested slop anyway???

roosters
regular

Post by roosters » Thu Apr 22, 2004 3:43 pm

buzzy wrote:Kite surfing IS dangerous though anywhere there's lots of folk around. I have no problem with it being banned at Bondage or Manly.

Incidentally, has anyone surfed that left that APPEARS surfable over near Ben Buckler? I've heard it's surfable but I've never seen anyone actually out there.
they've banned kite surfin at Bondage cause of the safety issues
i got wacked on the head with kite surfers board

i was duck diving at maroubra, he must not have seen me and clonk right on the noggin.

matt...
charger

Post by matt... » Thu Apr 22, 2004 5:12 pm

one of my old school mates lives at bondi - when i visit him, i don't even bother taking the board it is that crap !

don't forget about the backpackers, brazilians & liverpool sunday surfers either !!!!!!

but then you can also get them at manly as well......except they're from baulkham hills, not liverpool...

i pity the city beach surfers - you haven't got many options

mackenzies is fickle
tama is off limits at certain times
bronte reef is good
the 'bra is ok
a few reefs fire only on occasion
or it's a 30 minute drive to the shire!

poor souls.......
nature is a language. can't you read?
if you spend your life looking behind you, you don't see what's up front...

matt...
charger

Post by matt... » Thu Apr 22, 2004 5:15 pm

buzzy wrote:The thought of bloodied legs isn't that appealing. Maybe I'll give it a miss!!

The water's cooling down now so the crowds wil start thinning. With the flags dropping as well Bondi will be a little more pleasant to surf soon. As will everywhere else mind you!
you are kidding aren't you?

the poms will be out there in july in boardies!
nature is a language. can't you read?
if you spend your life looking behind you, you don't see what's up front...

spotty
Local

Post by spotty » Thu Apr 22, 2004 9:53 pm

Simple Ben wrote:They're clubbies mate, just tell them to put some bloody pants on get fu#$ed.
Spot on SB tell em to f@rk off... thank god for winter eh?