Surfing by yourself

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

vortex
charger

Post by vortex » Tue Aug 15, 2006 6:55 pm

Bear wrote:
vortex wrote:my good surfing mate doesnt make it too much anymore. ski instructing. doesnt bother me in the slightest. nothing better than surfing alone. and when there is a crowd, as has been said, ya dont shit people rolling up alone.
Maybe he just doesnt like you anymore... :lol: :lol:
As I originally said, doesnt worry me at all. I'm just so used to heading on lone trips i've gotten used to it. Wouldnt have it any other way now. It's nice to have someone from time to time to yak with in the car or watch getting kegged, but it's great to be independent. Do your own thang and being perfectly satisfied doing it. And quite frankly as HB said, surfing absolutely alone is like nothing else!

behhh02
Grommet

Post by behhh02 » Tue Aug 15, 2006 11:32 pm

The best amount of people in the water are yourself and 2 other friends. Keeps you pumped and wanting to tackle the bigger waves, yet doesn't overly annoy anyone else out in the lineuop. Its always good to be able to have yarn about the surf afterwards to people who shared it with you.

Spoon
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Spoon » Wed Aug 16, 2006 9:22 am

Usually surf with a mate from down the road and my middle son. Good to share a joke or hangover first thing or talk each other up if you've had a good session.

moreorless
regular

Post by moreorless » Wed Aug 16, 2006 9:49 am

loco4olas wrote:
The Dan wrote:How good is it when you get in that zone where youre just praying that no one else comes out and its a massive downer when you see someone else show up
I can SO relate to that-don't really know how to avoid being grumpy when that happens.
It's even worse if a pack turns up. Worse still if they're a bunch of longboard gumbys.

HB
regular

Post by HB » Wed Aug 16, 2006 10:27 am

oldman wrote: You can really face yourself out in the middle of the ocean when the waves have a bit of consequence, you are on your own, at a beach you have never paddled out at before, and you know that if you get into trouble you are helpless. Sure adds to the excitement.
Yeah, being scared and alone is even more spine tingling. Daring yourself to stay out just a bit longer. A couple more waves. No, not the in between ones, the decent sized ones. And then finally deciding to head in satisfied you've had a dig - checking out an empty line-up, dripping wet with the last buzz of adrenalin tingling through your body. Unreal.

I can't believe this topic hasn't been brouught up before. Great stuff.
"Stay happy and everything will be perfectly all right"... Jack Norris

grazza
Local

Post by grazza » Wed Aug 16, 2006 10:40 am

This is a hypothetical discussion, right? Like "wouldn't it be good if there was no more disease, we could all get along without fighting or war and we got to surf alone every now and again?"

matt...
charger

Post by matt... » Wed Aug 16, 2006 11:04 am

great topic !!

and some good points HB...

i had a session by myself this very morning in fact...

out at Copa, grey skies, grey ocean, two whales blowing water a few K's out to sea

a grom had just come in as i was going out. got a few good ones in the hour i was out there on my own....then 1, 2, then 3 guys showed up after that...

but it was a good vibe, had a chat to the first young bloke who came out...

but it is on days like today that every ripple on the water's surface, every shadow or piece of weed underwater makes your heart jump a bit !!

i surf 99.9% of my surfs "alone in the crowd" or "alone with a few guys out" or totally alone. i'll agree that it's up to yourself for the motivation to strive, but i find the distraction of the prescence of others a far greater thing to overcome...

for motivation i sing to myself in the surf or talk to myself, and sometimes i find i'll do it out loud without realising, which may l;ook strange for others in the surf.

but great topic Locolas !

dammit__01
Owl status

Post by dammit__01 » Wed Aug 16, 2006 11:08 am

love surfing with mates at a peak all to urselves. usually go with a stand-up and we have some absolutely awsome sessions and usually head out at the club house and slowly paddle to no-mans and find a perfect peak. but then we get followed by the pack usually so after a while we end up at poles and decide we have gone to far and go back to the original peak which the pack has left.

or go to queensie pool rights with my mates. no1 is ever surfing them and there damn fun :D

Shaunm
Snowy McAllister

Post by Shaunm » Wed Aug 16, 2006 11:28 am

Why's that, I often see good waves go unridden there?????

beach_defender
Grommet

Post by beach_defender » Wed Aug 16, 2006 12:10 pm

vortex wrote:my good surfing mate doesnt make it too much anymore. ski instructing. doesnt bother me in the slightest. nothing better than surfing alone. and when there is a crowd, as has been said, ya dont shit people rolling up alone.
It seems that i shit people ALL the time. Not sure if its 'cause I'm ugly, fat, lazy, stupid or a kook (or a permutation of all).

I've never tried to count whether I get more waves on my own or with mates.
Don't leave your crap on the beach, Stay well, Get involved...
(I'm taking typing lessons nexr weel)

barazza
Grommet

Post by barazza » Wed Aug 16, 2006 2:03 pm

Thought of the topic planning my solo trip up to the Goldie! am relocating from Sydney on the 9th and me and my old trusty EJ Holden are goin on a road trip for three to four weeks, when ever she gets tiered, where ever i get good surf thats my home till it's time to move on! Cant wait....

SAsurfa
barnacle

Post by SAsurfa » Wed Aug 16, 2006 5:08 pm

Down here in SA nearly every surf is by myself unless I go with mates and thats what makes it so good down here, there's not much hassling unless its 2' and offshore on the mid and you can score any bank down south or little reefy on the mid to yourself most of the time :)

But can get pretty packed on weekends when its cranking.

beach_defender
Grommet

Post by beach_defender » Wed Aug 16, 2006 5:14 pm

SAsurfa wrote:Down here in SA nearly every surf is by myself unless I go with mates
Isn't going surfing with ya mates in SA called burleying?
Don't leave your crap on the beach, Stay well, Get involved...
(I'm taking typing lessons nexr weel)

SAsurfa
barnacle

Post by SAsurfa » Wed Aug 16, 2006 5:16 pm

Haha yeah thats why i try and get one of my gutsliding friends to come down with me ;)

scooter83
Grommet

Post by scooter83 » Wed Aug 16, 2006 6:50 pm

One of my most memorable surfing moments was last year, when it was a beautiful winters day and for the first time ever i was surfing outside of sydney. I surfed a spot called spooky point in angourie...there were 2 locals out, but i remember just suiting up, and feeling the adrenaline rush just paddling out, which is about 150 metres via a deep water channel...i know it wasn't comletely solo...but when your local is bondi, strewth it was a great feeling...after about 45 mins the locals (who were pretty cruisy, and i didn't even try and get the better waves from them) paddled in, and there was knowone else round...that was abit freaky cause it's such an open spot, u literally feel like ur just bobbing in the open ocean...

Also, i was stoked to be the first out at bondville on a friday morn during July, when it was pretty solid, and the sun was out, but the crisp offshore was turning my boogers into icicles...that solo sess lasted about 15 mins, but imagine how different bondi would have looked from the lineup 100 yrs ago...mmm, wouldnt it be nice

stoive
barnacle

Post by stoive » Wed Aug 16, 2006 6:59 pm

i paddled out newport reef late arvo once, absolutely no-one around, pretty creepy, i could see the beach either because of the late arvo glow .

goldfish
Grommet

Post by goldfish » Wed Aug 16, 2006 7:15 pm

i'm a big fan of going solo to the beach, and then just surfing with one other random. not even someone you know, just someone who is sharing the same experience. Its good to know that no one else feels the way which you do at that moment in time, well, maybe besides the other person surfing at that beach. (sigh). its that feeling that you're so lucky to be able to be in teh water, enjoying the weather, the elements, feeling alone and thinking.
but then again, here comes summer, so not too much of it left.

Mr_momo_32
Local

Post by Mr_momo_32 » Wed Aug 16, 2006 7:42 pm

wingnut72 wrote:Surfing without another soul in the water - now that's something else entirely.

:oops: not a soul insite,.... reef break hard paddle in... then come the imaginations.... :?