Do you want breakwalls at Collaroy > Narra stretch?

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

Do you want breakwalls?

Yes - Get 'em up there
53%
No - Dont be stupid
29%
Get back to work Coops. What the hell are you doing anyway?
18%

Total votes: 34

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Tue Sep 05, 2006 10:48 am

Might be a bit chewier than bluefin tuna there oki. I have heard poodle marinated in its own gall softens up nicely after a week or so.

Longygrom
barnacle

Post by Longygrom » Tue Sep 05, 2006 11:50 am

LaNkYbOoG wrote:could make a sick wedge
Yeah and ruin some of the sikest beachy kegs in NE swells Sydney has...

You lidder kook

moreorless
regular

Post by moreorless » Tue Sep 05, 2006 1:17 pm

Congratulations Longygrom for bringing the thread back on topic.

The whole Collary-Narra stretch can get good in east and northeast swells, but that seems to have more to do with swell direction than the state of the banks. If it's a south swell one day it's probably going to be one long closeout. If the next day the swell goes north of east there probably will be decent waves. It sure isn't the banks that have changed.

beach_defender
Grommet

Post by beach_defender » Tue Sep 05, 2006 1:48 pm

This is a ridiculous idea. Seawalls don't work!

Most (if not all) scientific studies todate indicate that sand replenishment is the best options. Speak to Dr Andrew Short about this.

We got 3000+ people on the beach to stop this insane idea.

If you want to talk to people that have been involved in this for the past 10 years, come along to the Surfrider Foundation meeting tomorrow night at the North Narrabeen SLSC clubhouse about 7:45 and get informed.

From all reports the artificial reef on the Goldie doesn't work very well.

The Coolaroy-Narrabeen beach extends all the way back to the escarpement. THe sand from the beach moves in and out, not along the beach such as the Goldie. THere are vast reserves of sand just of the coast and storms and the like have served to move sand in and out of the beach. THere is currently underway a

If we want to manage erosion, we need to move the heavy objects (read houses and unit blocks) on the caostal side of Pittwater Road - to the dump.

The one strategy that guaranteed to increase erosion is to build a solid structure right on the water front. Checek out the loss of sand in kiddies corner at Dee Why since they built the concrete structures there, the undermining of South Curly. If you look at where there is a solid wall and where there is none on these beaches it is immediately obvious that the areas with the most erosion impact (and thus poorer wave shape) is against or at the edges of the hard stuff (concrete).

No SeaWall.

This is something worth figthing for if you don't want to lose one of the best breaks in Australia (Northy).

some more info:

http://www.esc.nsw.gov.au/coastal/coast ... erosion%22
http://www.warringah.nsw.gov.au/pdf/200 ... erosion%22
http://www.vims.edu/~art/narrabeen.html

Beach_Defender.
Don't leave your crap on the beach, Stay well, Get involved...
(I'm taking typing lessons nexr weel)

Kunji
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Kunji » Tue Sep 05, 2006 2:13 pm

^^^ Good points there Defender! I enjoy your thinking. :)

Who is speaking on thursday? What will they be talking about? What kind of a crowd will be going?

moreorless
regular

Post by moreorless » Tue Sep 05, 2006 3:00 pm

beach_defender wrote:Most (if not all) scientific studies todate indicate that sand replenishment is the best options.
Thanks for the input beach_defender and for the links to the council reports. Some interesting reading there. Seems that buying back the land is not a realistic option, unless the council wants to take its ratepayers deep into hock and the ratepayers are prepared to go along.

Sand replenishment seems to have worked well on the Gold Coast and had the added bonus to producing the superbank. The sand there comes from the Tweed River. The pump is just replicating a natural mechanism that was disrupted by the construction of the sea walls at the river mouth.

Not so sure about sourcing the sand for any proposed replenishment of Collaroy-Narra from offshore deposits. The distinction between beach nourishment from such a source and sand mining seems like a pretty fine one to me and the 'To Nourish or Not to Nourish' report seems a bit overconfident in its claim that "Carefully planned marine dredging is less disruptive than land-based sand quarrying." Pretty big call I'd say.

beach_defender
Grommet

Post by beach_defender » Tue Sep 05, 2006 3:35 pm

Hi moresy,

Over the past 6 or so years that I've been with the Surfrider foundation and hanging around the edges of ABSAMP (Australian Beach Safety and Management Program), I had a number of discussions with Andrew Short ( http://www.geosci.usyd.edu.au/about/peo ... short.html )

From those disucssions I gather that the sand offshore is originally from the beach, so the sand type would more closely match the existing beach.

The question of Sand Mining is the topic for another debate, but in essence, the SydneyNorthern Beaches branch of Surfrider believ that sand replenishment shoul dbe tested. THe thing with sand is that currently most of is mined from behind dunes, which has an enormous impact on beaches. The building industry and others have a huge demand for the stuff, we really need to address that as well. If we don't want to end up with a world full of humans and things that serve them and nothing esle, we have stop extractive resource management strategies, there is only so much of everything.

Well, I seem to have raved again, damn and I pormised to stop.

Might have to start reporting again....

I need to get back to work now, so I won't come back for a while.

The Surfrider meeting is on Wed night at 76:45, there'll be only a few motely aged hippies there, but we'd really like folks to come along and fight the good fight, oh and have a few beers after the meeting (all that fighting can be thirsty work)

Here is an interview with Andy from Earthbeat :

http://www.abc.net.au/rn/science/earth/ ... 346648.htm

Stay happy, stay well, get involved.
Beach Disaster

Kunji
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Kunji » Tue Sep 05, 2006 4:45 pm

beach_defender wrote:The Surfrider meeting is on Wed night at 76:45...
:? Sweet see you at around 76-77 oclock.

beach_defender
Grommet

Post by beach_defender » Tue Sep 05, 2006 4:52 pm

"Folks are dumb where I cum frum"

7:45

Cheeky bugger

thermalben
charger

Post by thermalben » Tue Sep 05, 2006 4:57 pm

beach_defender wrote:From all reports the artificial reef on the Goldie doesn't work very well.
Whilst I agree with everything else you've written BD, it's probably worth clarifying this point. The artificial reef on the Gold Coast was not designed as a surfing reef. It has served its purpose very well - to protect the venerable area at Narrowneck by increasing the beach buffer zone. Good waves at the artificial reef were only ever going to be an additional benefit to this structure - I have surfed it a couple of times and it's pretty good (but, being in the middle of a long beach, wave quality is highly dependent on sand buildup).

rabbity7
regular

Post by rabbity7 » Tue Sep 05, 2006 5:55 pm

After doing alot of reading about how the narrabeen lake works and how the narrabeen stretch of coast works I've changed my mind about having a breakwall. It could destroy northy. Don't do it.

Boozer
barnacle

Post by Boozer » Tue Sep 05, 2006 6:16 pm

beach_defender wrote:THe sand from the beach moves in and out, not along the beach such as the Goldie.
The only part you were not 100% spot on.

It certainly does move from Collaroy to Narrabeen. Eventually it finds its way back in.

beach_defender
Grommet

Post by beach_defender » Tue Sep 05, 2006 9:09 pm

thermalben said
Whilst I agree with everything else you've written BD, it's probably worth clarifying this point. The artificial reef on the Gold Coast was not designed as a surfing reef. It has served its purpose very well - to protect the venerable area at Narrowneck by increasing the beach buffer zone.
I was wrong - I should have said that I had heard some time back that while its primary purpose, saving the beach from heavy waves action was apparently a good success, I had heard that the surfing was not that flash.

So please forgive me, I must offer up my humble apologies and beg forgiveness by the dolphins.

But I stick the point that seawalls are stupid.. and ineffectual (Like some polies we all know)