Skin cancers

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

CLS

Skin cancers

Post by CLS » Tue Apr 06, 2004 8:26 am

Shit, I am only 25, have already had 2 moles cut out and need to have another 2 gone before they turn into those bastard melanoma thingies. first one off the back of my arm this arvo, stitches for 2 weeks, then the second after all that. Now I am gonna miss any chance for an easter surf.

Thought I was doing all the right things as well, suncream, rashies, surf in the morn and arvo, regular checks, also got told by a doctor that I shouldn't be too worried about skin cancer because I have olive skin. What a f#$kn liar.

Anyone have any ideas on how to avoid these things? Including alternative type stuff such as diet etc?

the kalakau kid

Post by the kalakau kid » Tue Apr 06, 2004 8:48 am

CLS,

will talk to my naturopath wife and see if she can suggest anything. Also have a few medico mates & I'll run it by them.

FWIW - i don't wear lycra sun protection any more, i use a neoprene rubber shirt. It doesn't seem to be any hotter ( used it in indo too) and I know that UV rays are not getting through that rubber!
meantime - stay in the shade bro & get well

the kalakau kid

Post by the kalakau kid » Tue Apr 06, 2004 9:10 am

Squid,

its a rip curl top with a short zipper at the back. About 4 -5 years old but still going ok. Heaps of companies make them and the new ones look good but my old faithful keeps puttin' in.
Yes it does ride up at the back and if you wipe out in reasonable waves it pulls up under your armpits sometimes. It doesn't really bother me enough to stop using it though. The rest of the time its great.
Another thought is the polypropylene thermal shirts that are around. I have one of these too but it tends to give me an underarm rash so I don't wear it much. Would block out the UV though.

Dave
regular
Location: Central coast, out the back, 6 foot and glassy, no crowds

Re: Skin cancers

Post by Dave » Tue Apr 06, 2004 9:19 am

CLS wrote: Anyone have any ideas on how to avoid these things? Including alternative type stuff such as diet etc?
CLS, by far the best thing to avoid skin cancer is lots of SEX. Have a word to your missus and tell her that if she wants you to live she knows what to do....

if melanomas persist please see your doctor

caspa

Post by caspa » Tue Apr 06, 2004 9:43 am

Skin cancers are supposedly started off in childhood so anything you may have done recently to prevent them don't necesarilly have much effect.
So if you grew up on Oz during the 70s/80s then regular checkups are the go - FWIW black people get skin cancers too so while in normal radiation environments darkness of skin reduces the risk, in Australia it makes almost no difference.
My main worry now is my noggin - i've worn wettie/rashies all the time and suncreamed the face and ears and neck but the scalp went without and thinning hair doesn't help (I've lost more sunhats in the surf than I care to think about so nevermind that suggestion).

The thermal rashies are great for sun block but like TKK said they do give you a rash underarm after 2 hours or so

Stu

Post by Stu » Tue Apr 06, 2004 10:01 am

My current Doc tells me most skin cancers are genetic so it's my parents fault. At 30 I've had 5 cut out 6 burnt off and another two on my face to get cut later this year. Anyone know a good plastic surgeon? Rather not look like frankenstien if I can help it!

spotty
Local

Dr Sean Walsh

Post by spotty » Tue Apr 06, 2004 6:51 pm

The Chatswood skin cancer clinic, (9411 6199) has a Dee why branch. Make an appointment to see Dr Sean Walsh. He is great, not a butcher like so many others, puts you right at ease,+ he bulk bills. :D

caspa

Post by caspa » Tue Apr 13, 2004 5:46 pm

Spotty,

Thanks for the DY Cancer clinic pointer - I've made an appointment - been putting it off for too long and having the number in front of me kinda got me motivated.

spotty
Local

dont worry... be happy

Post by spotty » Tue Apr 13, 2004 7:07 pm

caspa wrote:Spotty,

Thanks for the DY Cancer clinic pointer - I've made an appointment - been putting it off for too long and having the number in front of me kinda got me motivated.
You will be fine, dont stress. The important thing to remember is to get a check-up every 6 months, as "they", keep telling us : early detection is the key.

caspa

Post by caspa » Fri Apr 16, 2004 10:34 am

well well well ... so being a ethnic slur goes here has other benefits apart from being hung like .. uhhh nevermind.
Just saw Dr Walsh at Chatswood Skin cancer Clinic (DY branch). as Spotty says he's good - surfs, grew up locally (unlike me damn blowin) and in no time burnt off 3 small sunspots on my nose and no wories about my scalp -- see him again in one year - shweet.

matt...
charger

Re: Dr Sean Walsh

Post by matt... » Fri Apr 16, 2004 11:45 am

spotty wrote:The Chatswood skin cancer clinic, (9411 6199) has a Dee why branch. Make an appointment to see Dr Sean Walsh. He is great, not a butcher like so many others, puts you right at ease,+ he bulk bills. :D
Good suggestion, spotty, I go there too - i usually get about 10 spots iced off my face, every 12 months.
I swear by that place, really good doctors there.
The one up the coast here has very limited business hours.
My old man & mum go there too, but my dad has to go every 6 months & gets about 40 spots iced off his noggin & has done for the last 8 years (he's 64).

So if you're getting thin on top guys, wear a hat & look after it now.

Every time the old man goes for a wave its the thick 4 hour 30+spf stuff for the noggin, even in winter, the one you have to wash off with soap to get off.
nature is a language. can't you read?
if you spend your life looking behind you, you don't see what's up front...

Spoon
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Spoon » Fri Apr 16, 2004 11:50 am

I am sitting here with 3 stitches in my cheek from a mole which had to go. Clean thankfully. I recommend that wherever you go, go every 12 months at least and try to see the same Doctor so they also get to know you and have records from 12 months earlier that they can go back and check for any growth if needed.
Al this is gold. "She didn't realise I was fairly high and spent much of the evening trying to figure out why a purple and orange cow wanted me to climb a tree."

CLS

Post by CLS » Fri Apr 16, 2004 9:45 pm

Had the first lot of stitches out this morning, also got the results back from the doc. He said it was a benign compound neavus(sp?) which he said meant had the potential to become a melanoma.

Next cutting happens next week, least I get a surf in this w/e.

Does anyone believe the hole in the ozone layer is exposing us to more harmful radiation? Seemed to be the only thing on the news a couple of years ago but you don't hear about it these days??

stuey

Post by stuey » Fri Apr 16, 2004 10:12 pm

Well havin been thru the melanoma ordeal meself, I only have one piece o advice. If ya feel that somethin should be removed, then have it removed. As great as a doctor is, don't put yar life in their hands unnecessarily. I had a mole that I continually had checked. Always ok they say. I didnt believe them and went to Molemax. There they use a super duper camera to photograph your bosy. The doc then analyses the super close up pics. having put out the wedge for this, ya may think yar right. I thought about all diz, and wondered why the freak I was expendin so much dough and worry on this particular mole. Went to the plastic surgeon and said remove it. A week later, yep the result is melanoma. I then went through two sessions o surgery. Finally havin about 4 inches by two inches o skin cut outa me back along me spine. How long did it take ta heal? What waz me mental state? MAteys, I dun wanna frighten yaz, but do yaself a favour. If yar concerned, have it cut out. Im alive now, just by luck, good fortune, or fate. Yaz all know I dont like ta be a serious prick, but fellas dont hesitate. Piece o mind = more vb, pissed nights, hangovers,tubes, roots, tit checkin and so on.

spotty
Local

cfc

Post by spotty » Sat Apr 17, 2004 6:39 am

CLS wrote:Had the first lot of stitches out this morning, also got the results back from the doc. He said it was a benign compound neavus(sp?) which he said meant had the potential to become a melanoma.

Next cutting happens next week, least I get a surf in this w/e.

Does anyone believe the hole in the ozone layer is exposing us to more harmful radiation? Seemed to be the only thing on the news a couple of years ago but you don't hear about it these days??
The hole in the ozone most definately increases our chances of getting skin cancers. Just ask anyone who lives in Tassie about how severe the solar radiation is down there! The good news is that the hole has decreased in size dramatically in the past 10 years. Tighter controls on the release of Chloro-flouro carbons is the reason for the repair. :D