Expensive Surf Clothing-Who Benefits?

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

filthbarrel
regular

Expensive Surf Clothing-Who Benefits?

Post by filthbarrel » Sun Jan 18, 2004 11:36 am

I am interested to know what surfers think of boardies and other clothing that carries the brand of Quiksilver, Billabong or Rip Curl. I have seen this stuff go up and up in price and I wonder if any of you think it is worth it. Who benefits from these guys getting rich? Do the boardies last longer? Do Rip Curl shoes last longer? Now that common landlubbers at golf clubs wear these brands (see picture of the Denmark prince bloke yesterday in paper 'looking casual in his billabong shirt'), what really is the benefit of associating with these brands?

I suppose there are the academic types out there who may argue that in a post modern society in late industrial capitalism the only way one can ascertain identity is through commodity consumption and that brands serve the purpose of filling otherwise empty lives and allows one to 'mark' oneself in a manner that signifies something to others in the know. But as this stuff is mostly made in countries where labour is cheap (yes, I know, it provides jobs to people who wouldn't otherwise have them -I call this the 'Nike' excuse) and uses surfing as its theme -you know -"only a surfer knows the feeling (of paying $80 for a pair of shorts?)etc." - is it time to turn our backs on these companies completely.

Please explain how me paying $80 for boardshorts benefits surfing - as far as I can tell, the growth of the surf industries coincides with the growth of the number of blokes (and women -although I think the 'growth' of women's surfing is as largely overplayed in the media as is surf rage) iin the water wanting a scarce natural resource -waves at metropolitan beaches.

Over to you.

dan
regular

Post by dan » Sun Jan 18, 2004 1:18 pm

yep surf clothing.... im very irrated at the situation aswell. And you'd think with Tom Carrol acting like such a 'humanitarian' in front of the camera that he'd make quicksilver boardies costs less than $80 when it only took $2 to make. I mean, he is the founder of quicksilver...

Also, when you do buy surf clothing there is another problem to put up with... pretend surfers trying to sell you the stuff! Nothing annoys me more when a store clerk says to me "how was the undertow today?"!

Just wish there was a shop that sold decent clothing at reasonable prices. Anyone know of a place like this? And please don't say "surf shops during the sales" :)

filthbarrel
regular

Post by filthbarrel » Sun Jan 18, 2004 1:37 pm

Dan,

TC is not the founder of Quiksilver - on the payroll, but not a founder.

I don't blame the Tom's and Kelly's etc. -heck, these guys go surfing and get paid for it, and I suppose if we were good enough, we might too. No, I blame the costs on the size of corporate greed and the stupidity of people who are prepared to fork over the dollars to believe that the brand somehow makes their life more complete.

Me bewt Nanna gave me some boardies from K Mart at Xmas and no dramas so far, elastic +drawcord +pockets and comfy fabric -and absolutely no brand on 'em anywhere. Liked 'em so much dragged my soory self into K Mart and there they were on sale for $15 - I grabbed another pair and I never wash boardies, figure the saltwater does that.

Dropped into amall type surfshop and $80 for pretty much the same thing with a prominent logo -jeez. Now I liked 'em, but not so much that I would part with 5 times the amount I just handed over in K Mart -and to tell the truth, I am increasingly looking for stuff with no prominent brands anywhere on the items.

dan
regular

Post by dan » Sun Jan 18, 2004 3:13 pm

just wondering where i heard that thing about tom carrol....

thermalben
charger

Post by thermalben » Sun Jan 18, 2004 3:23 pm

Alan Green and John Law formed Quiksilver in 1970.
(http://www.quiksilver.com/?pageID=70)

kook

Post by kook » Sun Jan 18, 2004 5:32 pm

i have worked in the surfboard/ surfwear industry for the last 10 years. If you want to pay $80.00 fort a pair of boardies then most likely you are flthy rich, stupid or both. Most clothing is made in the same factories O/S by the same nimble fingers for the same price and using the same materials whether they retail here for $15 or $80. I have seen the same clothing with a brand label on it in asurf shop for $100.00 and in Kmart for $25. The only difference was the 2cm x 5cm label. Remember Kmart is also making money on these items when they sell, usually a 100% markup.
The big surf labels do put a certain amount of money back into the sport which Kmart does not although a lot of that is to promote their products through sponsorships of surfers and events. Private and public companies (Billabong) are there simply to make money on the products they sell. They price their items at the highest level they believe people will payand still generate enough sales to be profitable.
If you are the type that is sold on advertising then by all means buy at the highest price. But if you would rather spend the extra money on a surf trip or new board then look around and buy the same good quality without a label.

blindboy

Post by blindboy » Sun Jan 18, 2004 5:54 pm

"The big surf labels do put a certain amount of money back into the sport which Kmart does not although a lot of that is to promote their products through sponsorships of surfers and events"

...and hasn't that been a great boon for those of us who just want to ride waves in relatively uncrowded conditions. They have managed to persuade everyone on the planet that surfing is better than sex so you'd better get out there and give it a go.

That said, you have to look at what you're getting, there's a lot of crap sold in department stores as well as the odd bargain, at least some of the surf wear companies still understand their product and make boardshorts etc that are comfortable and durable.

chrisb
Owl status

Buy it in Bali - let's help the poor buggers

Post by chrisb » Sun Jan 18, 2004 6:13 pm

Next time you go to Bali, buy your surf gear there. You may be lucky enough to get the original article. Even if you don't it will be at a fraction of the price. I still wear a (probably) fake Billabong shirt that I bought in Bali in 1997 for $5.
Balinese are one of the loveliest races in the world and especially after Oct 02 they can do with all the help that you can give them.
The Aussie $'s the strongest it's been for years so you will benefit, the Balinese will benefit, the only ones who miss out are the greedy surf company exec's.

filthbarrel
regular

Post by filthbarrel » Sun Jan 18, 2004 6:29 pm

[The big surf labels do put a certain amount of money back into the sport which Kmart does not although a lot of that is to promote their products through sponsorships of surfers and events.

Kook,

the question still remains -who benefits. We hear a lot about these companies putting money back into surfing, but how does that benefit a bloke who just wants to go surfing -he isn't into comps, he isn't into image - I actually think it does not benefit him at all -in fact, I think it actually provides a negative. The ASP are also on about making the sport grow -but why? Who wants it to grow -most surfers I know would be happy to see it drop off - and what exactly has been done (is there anything one can pinpoint?) to make surfing so popular that nearly every report you read about good waves somewhere makes mention of the crowd -look at Don's report about Scott's Head today. 60 out enjoyable? Well, Don is a lot more patient than me.

kneelo1

Post by kneelo1 » Sun Jan 18, 2004 6:37 pm

Hey Filth, it's simple - these are public listed companies now so they're just like banks. When people complain the answer is "we so it for the shareholders". Thats why the new Surfersupreme in the Manly Corso cost more to put together than a **** Road Store. I even saw a Billabong business suit in there the other day! Way of the world. I don't buy the stuff except wetties and I thing we all admit the value and technology there is awesome value - particullarly when compared to the clothes. Lets face it, the clothes are just fashion items for kooks. Don't buy if it bothers you. Better yet learn to silk sceen and start making your own exclusive label. then ya rule!!!

thermalben
charger

Post by thermalben » Sun Jan 18, 2004 8:53 pm

uther - this is the crux of the problem though - Rip Curl have spent lots of $$ developing a new pair of shorts that (apparently) reduce rash - why should these be available in the discount bin? You can't have the latest technology available in a no-name brand straight off the bat. It's kinda like the new breed of wetties over the last few years.. you can pick up a regular unsealed straightjacket-style wetsuit for a couple of hundred bucks, but if you want the state of the art 'elasto' model fro Rip Curl, you'll need to fork out $600+. You pay more for comfort. Same too with anything - cars, music gear, airfares, hotel accomodation.

There's plenty of cheap boardshort options at KMart for under $20, but if you want the top-of-the-line products straight from the production line, it'll cost ya.

marcus
Owl status

paying to make our waves more crowded

Post by marcus » Mon Jan 19, 2004 6:21 am

the way i look at is this
we are paying to make our waves more crowded.
if you ask the surfers who benefits, they say, " oh it promotes surfing"
so basically when we buy new ripbong shorts we are paying for more people to join us in the surf.
do what i do, get the stuff from a mensware shop, looks the same, unless your going to wear it in the water dont buy a big brand.
but ive seen certain products made in mexico for US$12 and sold in a surf shop for AU$330 one thing to remember is that the surf shop gets half the money.
i also walk out of a shop if they dont guenuinly sell boards.
cheers
marcus
Oscar Wilde - "I am not young enough to know everything"

marcus
Owl status

Post by marcus » Mon Jan 19, 2004 6:22 am

oh yeah, look at me in the pic
im not wearing anything!!!!
those fools arent getting my money...haha
Oscar Wilde - "I am not young enough to know everything"

Clif
barnacle

boardies

Post by Clif » Mon Jan 19, 2004 2:41 pm

couldn't buy the brands even if i wanted them. many can't. bit of a privilege to assume that one has the choice to or not isn't it?

while we are at it ... what about wiping the logos off the board manufacturers as well? (such as the mass producing organism called 'Base' now producing Nevs, Handleys etc).

Bring make murals etc. like the hippies had.

baldric
barnacle

Post by baldric » Tue Jan 20, 2004 1:05 am

Last edited by baldric on Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.

kneelo1

Post by kneelo1 » Tue Jan 20, 2004 9:03 am

onya Baldric. labels are for losers. Nothing I love better than seeing a 130kg 60 year old spilling out of her support hose wearing a Nike jumper.
Yo, u the man!

Clif
barnacle

re filth barrel

Post by Clif » Tue Jan 20, 2004 12:03 pm

postmodern blah :D

the claim may go that you comsume and rely on others to recognise the signifiers and label identities etc. And that everyone now purchasing means the signifier floats (didn't it always). The fact is, the crew are pretty on to it. i never look at a surfbrand anymore to decide who or what is a surfer etc. Rather, i check out how they surf - that is, in the surf. if someone is using a label to form some sense of identity or even associate with a a lifestyle they are easily recognisable as not belonging. You can be clothed in the brands from head to toe but that won't hide the fact you are a kook. notice that heaps of crew are now deliberately NOT wearing the brands. go the op shop. its like the skate culture. when everyone starting copying the style the boys started wearing plain white tees and everyday kmart jeans. Anyway, it is so unethical to wear the brands. if they want us to wear them pay the people who make them proper wages!!!!! i'm no communist but if working hard has taught me anything its that everyone deserves to be paid for a hard days work fairly. (not fair to the corporation but for those who actually do the work and their living conditions). research clothing brands but don't see them as definitive markers of surfing. that's a myth perpetuated by the mags. the reality is about being in the water, actually going surfing.