it's colddddd

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

rae
Local

it's colddddd

Post by rae » Sun Jun 25, 2006 6:10 pm

It's starting to get hard to motivate myself to get out of bed in the morning. It used to be alarm goes and bang, I jump out of bed, get into the wetty off to the beach i go. Today it took me just over an hour from my alarm first going off to walking out the door.... due to the extra time it takes to convince myself out of bed. And then there's the walk, it's about a km for me and at 7 in the morning it's COLD so i took to wearing socks (i know i looked like a tool but it works :D ) untill i got told i'd have to buy my socks myself as it ruined a pair per surf. Then theres the need to wear a jumper walking down which gets covered in wax and also the sand is so cold it almost hurts.

Once I'm out I'm fine, it's just the getting there part thats hard. And theres also not that motivation for emptyish waves because it seems not too many are deterred by the cold.

I can't be the only one with this problem, though i suppose all you silly people with cars and liscences have it a bit easier (11 hours, and only a month and a half untill i can get mine!!!).... So.... how do you all motivate yourselves to get down there?

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Sun Jun 25, 2006 7:11 pm

Go later when you’re warm and toasty Doe Rae Me! After all you early morning maniacs are finished it can be quite civilised.

:idea: Why don’t you invest in some booties for the walk? Or, find a fellow with transport that you don’t necessarily have to share spit with, if you know what I mean as I think you are still relatively young, yes?

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Sun Jun 25, 2006 7:21 pm

Get a bike missy, it's still cold but at least it's over with quicker.

bc
charger

Post by bc » Sun Jun 25, 2006 7:29 pm

Think back to how often you do the early surf, and how good it feels when you come back in. -I can think of maybe only one surf this year that I would have preferred to sleep.

But hey - I'm easily pleased.

Putting the alarm clock over the other side of the room gets you out of bed to turn it off.

ether
regular

Re: it's colddddd

Post by ether » Sun Jun 25, 2006 8:42 pm

rae wrote:it's COLD so i took to wearing socks (i know i looked like a tool but it works :D )
i'm sure i'll get bagged for being a wimp here, but i like to pull on the booties when the cold's a bit biting. keeps those footsies nice'n'toasty & saves the need for thongs for those of us who have a bit of a (broken glass littered) hike to the beach. plus it gives you some extra traction for the rock-off :D

rae
Local

Post by rae » Sun Jun 25, 2006 9:12 pm

bc wrote:Think back to how often you do the early surf, and how good it feels when you come back in. -I can think of maybe only one surf this year that I would have preferred to sleep.

But hey - I'm easily pleased.

Putting the alarm clock over the other side of the room gets you out of bed to turn it off.
Your completely right and im always glad once i've got there.... it's the convincing myself to get out of bed thats the hard bit. I like the alarm clock suggestion though, something i'll deffinately try. As for a bike, there's way too many hills around me and me + bike + board = a disaster :D

Though I didn't start this thread to revolve just around me and my inability to get out of bed, i was also wondering how the rest of you get yourselves up because i can't be the only one with this problem!

fong

Post by fong » Sun Jun 25, 2006 9:23 pm

workin most nites.....earlys not my game :lol:

sides the points been workin best at low tide up this way :arrow: and thats been midday.....not cold....spring suit stuff....got bastard crowd thu...bloody 6 guys out today :x

as 4 motivation rae....if i've checked the buoys....or say swellnet :roll: nite b4 and know the surfs gonna b pumpin....well i take that idea too bed...and helps me crawl out the covers 4 a early a.m :!:

p.s all blacks sux :lol:

temper8

Post by temper8 » Sun Jun 25, 2006 9:30 pm

i got some booties for the southern current, sick of freezin ma feet off :D

Chrisp
barnacle

Post by Chrisp » Sun Jun 25, 2006 9:30 pm

I've had the same problem Rae, especially on weekends, you lay there thinking, mmmm this is cold & the bed's so warm, so many times I dogg the early to go later (when inevitably it's crowded rippy slop!)

Buuutt having said that I don't have the problem on weekdays (because I want to go before work) so my tip for having the motivation to go is to be prepared the night before, lay your wettie out (unless it's wet) have whatever you wear under the wettie at hand, wear old shoes or uggs or something to save the cold feet, have the board waxed and ready.

Then as soon as your alarm goes off start moving, don't think, just go, soon enough you'll be half-asleep paddling out :D

elmo
regular

Post by elmo » Sun Jun 25, 2006 9:53 pm

there are these things called explorer socks they are very warm i wear them sometimes sure u look like a doush 8) but hey its warmth and they dont wear out too easy :)

CaT_SPeW
charger

Post by CaT_SPeW » Mon Jun 26, 2006 9:43 am

the waters so cold down here at the moment that when i went in the other day i had to walk into the water for 30 seconds then come back out and wait for them to stop aching and repeat until my feet went numb and didnt hurt anymore then i could go right in.

Beerfan

cold

Post by Beerfan » Mon Jun 26, 2006 10:08 am

Uggies are the go. I put my wetty on, then the uggies and jump in the car. When i get there, i know all i have to do is ditch the uggies, run down and jump in. As you know, once you're in, you're right. I planned an early morning today, but i didn't sleep til about 3am so i was too buggered. Man i wish i had've went, i always feel great when i have an early morning surf, even though when i get to work for arvo shift, im ready for a lie down.

Jersey
regular

Post by Jersey » Mon Jun 26, 2006 10:18 am

Cold?
Try our New York winters, that's cold!

Grooter
Duke Status

Post by Grooter » Mon Jun 26, 2006 12:27 pm

temper8 wrote:i got some booties for the southern current, sick of freezin ma feet off :D
Booties are the best for the cold weather. I'm wearing them for the first time this year and can't imagine how I ever did without them!

Hawkeye
barnacle

Post by Hawkeye » Mon Jun 26, 2006 1:04 pm

I'd go the booties, although if you're more than a couple of hundred metres away and with those hills I'd put on some old runners and take one of your old school backpacks to put 'em in with a towel to wipe off the sand for the run back.

Ha! I bought a full wetsuit hood and attached vest for half-price over the weekend. I've had a couple of headcolds over the last 6 weeks or so, and going for surfs sure didn't help my recovery. Could feel the bodyheat flying out of my head when I went in.

They look slightly stoopid, but with the wind up for the early on Sunday I didn't hesitate to put it on. It drew lots of funny looks, and I felt slightly stiff taking off on my backhand but I was very pleasantly warm, thanks! Might have to change the name of my eBay store to TerroristSurfShop to go with the new look! :lol: :lol:

Shaunm
Snowy McAllister

Post by Shaunm » Mon Jun 26, 2006 1:11 pm

I was given a pair of H2Odyssey thin booties and a full length hood with bream for my birthday, haven't used them yet. I had a pair of peak booties but found them too cumbersome for some reason, these look more like fin socks with grip. Sizing is a bit wierd though, need to go bigger size than peak or billabong.

Merry Prankster
Grommet

Post by Merry Prankster » Mon Jun 26, 2006 1:20 pm

Hawkeye wrote:
Ha! I bought a full wetsuit hood and attached vest for half-price over the weekend. I've had a couple of headcolds over the last 6 weeks or so, and going for surfs sure didn't help my recovery. Could feel the bodyheat flying out of my head when I went in. :lol: :lol:
I have worn a hood before (but definately not on the Northern beaches). I found it so annoying and ended up ditching it even though the water was 7-8 degrees + wind chill. I just found that I'd rather have a good surf for an hour and a bit than be able to sit out there for longer but blow lots of waves. The hood stuffs up your balance because your ears are covered. I never met anyone that enjoyed wearing one.

In relation to getting up I reckon that I get out of bed and go about 70% of the time that I set my alarm. Anyone else reckon they do much better?

Shaunm
Snowy McAllister

Post by Shaunm » Mon Jun 26, 2006 1:28 pm

Only if it's blowing really strongly I say stuff it, rain doesn't deter me or the cold.
I found plugs effectd my balance, but the surfmuff thing did not for some reason. :?