Dropping in/Snaking World Cup

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

Zaffa
regular

Dropping in/Snaking World Cup

Post by Zaffa » Wed Jun 14, 2006 6:19 pm

The post about the nice Kiwi fella got me thinking about Brazillian chicks....which got me thinking further.....which nationality is the worst to surf with??? Wanna keep this light hearted and of course this is only a generalisation but ..... my top 3!

1. The French - some of them can surf but all that I have surfed with have no concept of a line-up.

2. Brazilians - ditto

3. POMS - can't surf but are always in the way!

4. My mate Matt (South African) almost caused a fight on the boat trip we were on by constantly paddling up the line-up.

My Best nationalities to surf with.....

Japanese.... always polite and not scary

Australians.....I think having surfed in places were localism is so strong you get to respect the line-up if its not your home break

FishStick
Local

Post by FishStick » Wed Jun 14, 2006 9:27 pm

I find Poms are great to surf with. They have more ability than the usual back packers as most of them are Aussie residents, so they know the drop in rules but they aren't good enough to get all the waves which means more waves for me.

It was like that the other week I found this bank with 3 Aussies out and this big group of poms paddled out but didn't stop me from getting the waves I wanted. It was the Aussies that were on the inside of waves that I didn't get.

As mentioned above the Japs are good in the line up, I haven't seen too many kooks and they are really polite.

Brazilians are strange because they do everything in big groups. In the summer after work at the DY beachie they seem to outnumber everyone, then you go to Coles in the evening they are all shopping together as well. :D

dreamin
regular

Post by dreamin » Wed Jun 14, 2006 9:50 pm

its more to do with the number of people in the lineup in relation to the amount of space - I don't think you can equate a nationality to the number of drop ins to be honest.

chris_010
Local

Post by chris_010 » Wed Jun 14, 2006 10:34 pm

no one?

yeh yeh i know

Longygrom
barnacle

Post by Longygrom » Thu Jun 15, 2006 7:37 am

dreamin wrote:I don't think you can equate a nationality to the number of drop ins to be honest.
I think you can.

DeeWhyguy
Grommet

Post by DeeWhyguy » Thu Jun 15, 2006 7:46 am

No 1 with a bullet - Brazilnutz!!!! :?

tootr
Duke Status

Post by tootr » Thu Jun 15, 2006 8:00 am

there's a certain nationality that is the absolute rudest and worst snakes, dropper-ins, pack animals and general fwits - thankfully it's only sri lanka or the maldives you'll encounter packs of them

Shaunm
Snowy McAllister

Post by Shaunm » Thu Jun 15, 2006 9:04 am

1 Serbians
2 Croats
3 Queenslanders

swift
regular

Post by swift » Thu Jun 15, 2006 9:06 am

When I was in Marocco there was this French bloke that constantly paddled inside everyone. The fact the bloke couldn't surf that well didn't seem to bother him.
A couple of drop ins sorted the situation though!!!!!

WANDERER
Owl status

Post by WANDERER » Thu Jun 15, 2006 9:42 am

Shaunm wrote:1 Serbians
2 Croats
3 Queenslanders
4) macedonians
5) greeks.... oh hang on... I thought this was a list of the worst soccer hools in australia...

dreamin
regular

Post by dreamin » Thu Jun 15, 2006 9:43 am

Longygrom wrote:
dreamin wrote:I don't think you can equate a nationality to the number of drop ins to be honest.
I think you can.
really? maybe i dont pay enough attention.

bombora
Local

Post by bombora » Thu Jun 15, 2006 10:43 am

Hey Tootr you wouldn't be refering to Israelis would ya? If so yep yep and yep. Reckon they and zillas are equal firsts. I've had the first hand israeli experience in Costa Rica and Mexico and they were shockas but didn't even realise it. Came out after one seession at Mex Pipe where they had given everyone the shits, then they asked for my address in Oz when they discovered I lived next to the beach, obviously wanting to stay when they got here. Hope they enjoyed Jones Street, Dapto :wink: . Friend came back from Sri Lanka just before the Tsunami and even though she doesn't surf she came back with stories about how every other nationality hated them. The locals weren't fans either, she said, with complaints of full on rudeness in and out of the water.
Then, again, in the late 70s/80s I reckon Aussies _ who were full on into the "agro we are better than anyone gig" _ would have toped the list if you asked the rest of the world.......

chrisb
Owl status

Post by chrisb » Thu Jun 15, 2006 1:50 pm

[quote="bombora"]Hey Tootr you wouldn't be refering to Israelis would ya? If so yep yep and yep. Reckon they and zillas are equal firsts. quote]

You wouldn't think they would get enough wave time at home in Israel to get competent enough to snake your waves. They must spend more time away than at home.

I agree with the positive comments about the Japs, polite and friendly out in the water and they still get their share of waves. Shame everyone isn't like that.

The Yanks Iv'e seen in the surf in Oz are OK too - they obviously don't follow the bad example set by their leader.

Da Duke
regular

Post by Da Duke » Thu Jun 15, 2006 1:52 pm

Had a real problem with the Brazoz in G-land last year so we'd( ie everyone else) got together and came up with a rope-a-dope system (aka monkey fishing)where we used the Brazilians own over-inflated machismo to lure them up the point and out of harms way. You just need a couple of guys to sit about 50m inside of the peak and wait for the Brazos to start paddling up the inside of them. By this stage they were far too deep so as an added bonus of getting them off the take-off area you could watch them getting drilled as you took off!
This has to be one of the most beautiful spectacles in all of surfing.
They inevitably got the shits and would get a bit stroppy but do you think they would stop paddling inside? Nope.
Then the guys or "lures" would drift pack into position for the next set and a couple of other guys would then become the "lures"!
Even started a "fishing comp" where the winners were the lures who took a Brazo the furthest up the point! First prize was free bintangs and the title of Rex for the night!
Take my hat off to 'em though. They took some pretty solid thrashings and it seemed to make them angier! which made them paddle even deeper!

bombora
Local

Post by bombora » Thu Jun 15, 2006 5:04 pm

Hiya Chris, in their defence they are pretty gung-ho _ they'd go out in 6ft plus Mex pipe (size starting to have me sitting on the beach, v heavy wave after I'd been living in London 3 yrs :oops: ) but it was at the point up the beach they really got agro. Ability doesn't stop some snakes _ and it doesn't take much talent to drop in! Again a bit (a very little bit) of sympathy for em as most do the big surf trip after compulsary military service _ I'd probably be an agronaut after a coupla years being told to shoot Palestinian kids and seeing my mates blown up by suicide bombers!!
Depite all this they can _ of course not all of em _ be seriously rude people in and out of the water.

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Thu Jun 15, 2006 5:19 pm

The worst people I have ever surfed with were the locals at Lunada Bay in California, at the most beautiful surfing environment in SoCal they were ugly, rude, disgusting in a kind of cheesy Septic whining fashion that was truly difficult to endure. "Waaaah! Waaaah! We don't know you! We live in the richest place on Earth and it's not enough! Waaaah! You're not one of Us!! Waaaah!!"

Can scarcely wait to meet some of them at another surf spot.

Other than that I reckon it's the old saw ... there's good and bad apples in every barrel.

marcus
Owl status

Post by marcus » Thu Jun 15, 2006 5:35 pm

this brazil nut was the biggest gorilla when i was in g-land in 97.
first of all the boards boat was grounded at low tide so he started beating his chest .. going come on lets push the boat.
then we get underway at high tide and the surf in the far distace was booming on the reef, and hes prancing around the boat like an ape wanting his bananna. slapping bad boy stickers on the boat.
i was thinking, shit, maybe im not ready for this place.
we get there and i didnt see him in the water once...
not sure what he did the whole week or two.
the g-land guest book is filled with taunts against the brazillians.

Hawkeye
barnacle

Post by Hawkeye » Thu Jun 15, 2006 5:54 pm

dreamin wrote:its more to do with the number of people in the lineup in relation to the amount of space - I don't think you can equate a nationality to the number of drop ins to be honest.
You're dreamin'!

I was up the coast near mum & dad's, and a pack of four brazilnuts paddled out and proceeded to run interference for each other. One would paddle inside and the other on the shuolder.

The guy on the inside would be real deep and marginal for the take-off. If you went, he'd take it and call you off. If you left it, he'd pull back and his mate on the shoulder would take it. Then they'd swap and take it in turns.

It was really quite a clever tactic. The funny thing was the locals were so busy chatting to them they didn't notice they were no longer getting any waves.

That's the most blatant, but except for a few I'm friendly with at DY, I'd easily rate them as the worst-mannered in the lineup.

Japs are cool.