57 OCEAN ST CAFE

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

craig
regular

57 OCEAN ST CAFE

Post by craig » Fri Jun 09, 2006 7:18 am

Hi all, Just woke up to have my suspicions confirmed by Don that the council is preparing to grace our beaches with another yuppified, overpriced cafe at Narra. This one on the fordune of sth Narra beach.
I had suspected this for a while now after they didnt knock it down whilst re-landscaping the rest of the areas surrounds.

So as Don asked, i wrote a letter to Warringah council- I urge everyone else to do the same.....Heres a copy of mine i sent. Get writing everyone. This council is getting out of control.
(sorry about the capitals i'm angry......)

NO CAFE AT 57 OCEAN ST NARRABEEN BEACH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WHEN WILL THE COUNCIL EVER STOP?
AFTER LIVING IN THE COLLAROY / NARRABEEN AREA FOR NEARLY 30 YEARS, AND AS A REGULAR USER OF NARRABEEN BEACH I AM ABHORRED BY COUNCILS PLANS TO BUILD YET ANOTHER MONSTROSITY ON THE BEACHFRONT.

I BELIEVED THE PLAN WAS TO SLOWLY BUY BACK BEACHFRONT PROPERTIES TO RETURN THE DUNE SYSTEM TO IT'S ORIGINAL NATURAL PROTECTIVE STATE AND PROVIDE PARKLAND FOR RESIDENTS.
NOW IT SEEMS COUNCIL HAS ANOTHER GREAT DEVELOPMENT IN MIND. ANOTHER CAFE- JUST WHAT WE NEED. PUT IT BACK ACROSS THE ROAD WHERE THESE PLACES BELONG. KEEP THE PARKLAND SO I CAN PLAY WITH MY KIDS, WALK MY DOG OR RIDE MY BIKE..... AND SO MY CHILDRENS' CHILDREN CAN HOPE TO DO THE SAME!

ALSO, CAFES LIKE THESE ARE ALMOST DESTINED TO FAIL. WITH THE HIGH PRICE OF THE INVESTMENT BRINGS EXPENSIVE RENTS FOR SHOPKEEPERS AND EXORBITANT PRICES PASSED DOWN TO THEIR CUSTOMERS. $5 COFFEES- $20 BACON AND EGGS - NO THANKS.

CAN THE PEOPLE THAT RUN WARRINGAH NOT SEE WHAT A NIGHTMARE THE STRIP ALONG COLLAROY TO NARRABEEN IS BECOMING? ARE YOU BLIND TO THE STANDSTILL WEEKEND TRAFFIC AND COMPLETE LACK OF CAR PARKING IN ANY OF THE STREETS THAT RUN PERPENDICULAR TO THE BEACH?! THE APPROVAL OF A NEARLY 50 UNIT DEVELOPMENT AT 18 FRAZER ST ( A 4 BEDROOM HOUSE ) WHERE THERE IS ABSOLUTELY NO MORE POTENTIAL PARKING , JUST PROVES THE COUNCIL HAS LOST ITS MARBLES. TOPPING IT OFF, TO SOLVE THE TRAFFIC AND PARKING ISSUE IN FRAZER ST, THE COUNCIL WENT AND DECIDED THAT TRAFFIC LIGHTS AT THE CORNER OF PITTWATER AND FRAZER WOULD SOLVE THE PROBLEM.... HOW DID THAT ONE GET WORKED OUT.?????????? IS WARRINGAH COUNCIL TRYING TO CREATE NIGHTMARES FOR ITS RESIDENTS? I THINK SO.

I ASK YOU TO THINK ABOUT THE PEOPLE WHO ALREADY LIVE HERE AND NOT THE DEVELOPERS BANK BALANCES. DONT TURN COLLAROY - NARRABEEN INTO ANOTHER GHETTO LIKE DEE WHY "UNIT LAND" HAS BECOME!!! WE DONT WANT OR NEED ANOTHER CAFE. JUST A NICE PLACE TO SIT AND WATCH THE SUNRISE WILL DO RESIDENTS AND VISITORS ALIKE JUST FINE.

SO COUNCILLORS , PLEASE HAVE HALF A BRAIN WORKING WHEN YOU PONDER YET ANOTHER DEVELOPMENT ON OUR ALREADY RAVAGED BEACHFRONT..... THE RESIDENTS OF THIS AREA DO NOT WANT IT AND THE BEACH AS AN ALREADY DAMAGED FRAGILE ECOSYSTEM CERTAINLY DOESNT NEED IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

THIS IDEA IS ALMOST AS STUPID AS THE SEAWALL DEVELOPMENT THAT NEARLY WENT AHEAD. I THINK MORE PEOPLE WILL OPPOSE A CAFE ON THE FOREDUNE THAN WOULD OPPOSE A BRICK WALL ALONG THE BEACH.

I SURF AND I VOTE AND I LIKE TO DRINK MY COFFEE AT HOME BEFORE I SURF!
NO CAFE AT 57 0CEAN ST!!!!! IS THAT CLEAR ENOUGH?
PLEASE CONSIDER WISELY...

CRAIG D

(LIFELONG WARRINGAH RESIDENT)

Brand_77
Grommet

Post by Brand_77 » Fri Jun 09, 2006 7:49 am

Money grubber council!!! Council for the good of residents .... HA!!! What a joke!!! They're just out to line their pockets!!! I'm a local Narra resident and live just down the road. I watch in horror as they develop the Sands hotel and another block units opposite the Fire Station!! One park on the whole stretch is all we are asking for!!!! I'm sending my e-mail now and will be forwarding the details to everyone I know, I'll also be printing it off and handing it around my local residence area!! We have to stop this!!! It would be great to see people power actually winning for once!!

vortex
charger

Post by vortex » Fri Jun 09, 2006 10:07 am

Sorry mate where do we send this too? Got an email address handy or did i miss it?

grazza
Local

Post by grazza » Fri Jun 09, 2006 10:24 am

I'm finding it hard to get worked up about this. It's not like we're desecrating the pristine beauty of the world heritage South Narra National Park. IMHO, it's an ugly beach with no banks, and could well be improved by a good cafe.

We live in the biggest metropolis in the country, get used to it. Save your energy for things that really matter. Now the South Narra Nuclear Power Station I'd march in the streets against.

BTW, here's a better idea - use the profits from the cafe to build an artificial reef at South Narra.

beach_defender
Grommet

Post by beach_defender » Fri Jun 09, 2006 10:25 am

You can start by sending emails (sans abuse) to the council. Try the administrators office.

This will give you a list of contact points.
http://www.warringah.nsw.gov.au/council_directory.htm
Don't leave your crap on the beach, Stay well, Get involved...
(I'm taking typing lessons nexr weel)

still here
charger

Post by still here » Fri Jun 09, 2006 10:59 am

Craig , I hope you don't really play with your kids in the dunes as it's not allowed . Isn't their a park/grasspatch somewhere near .

Seems Narrabeen has yuppified already . There's enough 800k units and more going up . I reckon most of these people will either BOTH be working to pay the mortgage or earn enough to buy the kids a new playstation . Either way not everyone has kids . :shock:

So , what are you meant to do if you don't drink coffee at home before you leave ?
What if you WANT to eat bacon and eggs right up on the dunes overlooking the beach instead of across the road with petrol fumes spoiling the whole deal .
What if you'd like to chill out and have drink and a munch overlooking the beach unobstructed by cars bitumen or other private developments right on the beach . This seems to be the the domain of the super rich only ?
Are the rest of us to be pushed back from just a taste of what the wealthy can enjoy further up the stretch ? :roll:

Do you live nearby ?
How selfish to keep it to yourself and neighbours !!

Personally , I'd rather have a cool looking development where I can go and enjoy something special occasionally .
And I hate the crap look of childrens playgrounds , redundant looking "picnic tables " (or the "premium" "covered" picnic area ) . The playground's either empty or filled with screaming bats destroying my enjoyment of the beach scene . :twisted: If that's what you want , move to Collaroy !

Craig there are plenty of childrens parks but how many unique cafe type places right on the beach ?
Furthermore , I'd suggest the cafe play some unreal music to vibe it up and charge even more (maybe that will keep the pram set away ) .

I'm also a voter , so I guess it's just down to that .

collnarra

Post by collnarra » Fri Jun 09, 2006 11:13 am

I'm still wondering what happened to the g-r-a-t-i-t-u-d-e. where did it go, Still here?

Butts

Post by Butts » Fri Jun 09, 2006 11:24 am

beach_defender wrote:You can start by sending emails (sans abuse) to the council. Try the administrators office.

This will give you a list of contact points.
http://www.warringah.nsw.gov.au/council_directory.htm
Happy Birthday, you old + one bastard. :lol:

Hope your necks okay, and you didn't have too much medication 8)

still here
charger

Post by still here » Fri Jun 09, 2006 11:47 am

57 O--c--E--A--n s--t--r--E--E--t c--A--f--E

Blessed with powerful symbols of the LIFE FORCE .

5 is supremely centered .
7 is an ancient symbol of goodness .

Sorry , but I think it is wrong to deny everyone who doesn't own a piece of the dune overlooking the beach the opportunity to enjoy it with eggs and bacon , a drink with some music , a nice meal in the best position .

It is not only wrong ..... IT IS SELFISH .

If it ruins their exclusivity too bad .... they've got it good enough .

And if you want to live rough on a deserted beach get out of Sydney !
It's stupid to pretend this is pristine coastline .

beach_defender
Grommet

Post by beach_defender » Fri Jun 09, 2006 11:54 am

Sorry , but I think it is wrong to deny everyone who doesn't own a piece of the dune overlooking the beach the opportunity to enjoy it with eggs and bacon , a drink with some music , a nice meal in the best position .

It is not only wrong ..... IT IS SELFISH .
Of course letting them dirve to Collaroy - and sit out the back and get an even better view of the beach is what? Or, maybe we have DY ??

The issue here is that therre is a long standing agreement at all levels of government that in order to protect the beach at Narra/Collaroy, the council and NSw Gov should buy any property coming on the market and knock down the buildings, thus reducing the pressure on erosion from permanent heavy structures on the dune.

Its not selfish - its plain commone sense.

TH eonly reason that this insane Coffee shop (across the road btw from a new one) is because the current administrator has gone back on an undertaking entered into years ago.

If that is acceptable government in your eyes old son, then we indeed live in a different reality.

We do not need any more coffee shops aong the peninusular, there's heaps of them.

Knock it down, let the children play.
Don't leave your crap on the beach, Stay well, Get involved...
(I'm taking typing lessons nexr weel)

collnarra

Post by collnarra » Fri Jun 09, 2006 11:55 am

still here wrote: Sorry , but I think it is wrong to deny everyone who doesn't own a piece of the dune overlooking the beach the opportunity to enjoy it with eggs and bacon , a drink with some music , a nice meal in the best position .
you could always have a picnic.

craig
regular

Post by craig » Fri Jun 09, 2006 12:05 pm

send your emails to [email protected]

missed that bit.....

still here
charger

Post by still here » Fri Jun 09, 2006 12:28 pm

If I wanted a picnic with a table I'd go to Collaroy or Dee Why .
If I wanted a coffee with view across the street I'd go to the existing cafe on Ocean street .
If I wanted a picnic on deserted beach I'd go to West Australia .

And I don't want to go to the sunshine coast just to have a eggs and bacon over the beach .

OPEN THE NEWSPAPER and look at the properties for sale and changed hands recently on the NarraRoy stretch . :roll:

Why just let the wealthy in their elitist position eat eggs and bacon on the veranda beachside of Ocean street .While the rest of us must have picnics on crap picnic tables , or enjoy our eggs and bacon peeking at thye view between cars and over toilet blocks .
THAT'S SELFISH !

Beach-Defender , If the agreement at state and Federal and local level not to allow bathing in the sea during daylight hours was not changed all those years ago , none of us would be using the beach .

It's time to change the "agreements" .
STOP ELITISM ALONG THE NARRAROY STRETCH .
LET THE PEOPLE EAT EGGS AND BACON OVER THE BEACH ! :D

Meataxe
barnacle

Post by Meataxe » Fri Jun 09, 2006 12:41 pm

As an impartial observer I would say the negative team have a more robust argument.

The positive side's argument lacked foundation and was at times illogical. It took on a high 'whining' pitch in parts which detracted further from its cause.

collnarra

Post by collnarra » Fri Jun 09, 2006 1:14 pm

dinosaur wrote:
still here wrote: STOP ELITISM ALONG THE NARRAROY STRETCH .
LET THE PEOPLE EAT EGGS AND BACON OVER THE BEACH ! :D
what about the vegans? NAZI
Mr Gratitude wants to end elitism ... but he doesn't want families, prams or kids.

Hands up who reckons Still Here is trolling?

ether
regular

Post by ether » Fri Jun 09, 2006 2:26 pm

Meataxe wrote:As an impartial observer I would say the negative team have a more robust argument.

The positive side's argument lacked foundation and was at times illogical. It took on a high 'whining' pitch in parts which detracted further from its cause.
Hang on, which one is the positive team, and which one the negative?

munch
Harry the Hat

Post by munch » Fri Jun 09, 2006 2:30 pm

collnarra wrote:Hands up who reckons Still Here is trolling?
My hands up, he's included me in his rants and I don't give a shite :!:
still here wrote: and a munch overlooking the beach unobstructed by cars bitumen or other private developments right on the beach
Anyways as far as trolling goes,
now the sea wall .... everyone "seems" to of come to a conclusion that it'd be bad for for the area like the sand would get washed away ... now I did a little bit of marine science as part of me general studies at uni a number of years ago and there general conscensus was that it'd they were bad for beachs and stuffed up the long shore drifts .... but there weren't much eveidence ... and some people disagreed, so from a scientific point of view lets have a look at few beachs that have/have not sea walls:

Curly :arrow: no sea wall - sometimes has no sand at all
Freshy :arrow: no sea wall but a little small - but moslty has sand
Manly :arrow: sea wall and has sand all the time (does it get shipped in :?: )
Bondi :arrow: sea wall and has sand all the time (does it get shipped in :?: )
Coogee :arrow: sea wall and has sand all the time as well as 8 ft waves at times :roll:
Tama/Bronte - to small
Bra - sea wall (not at south end) and has sand all the time

so me confused, whats the problem :?:
well I know most of those beachs that have sea walls without protrusions have shite banks like bondi, where as add storm water drains (manly) or rocky outcrops (bra) and they get better but ... me confused :?
where's that pide piper gone, oh there he is getting followed by all those real surfers ....

ow ow, I'm sorry, I know I'm supposed to follow the general populess but ...
stop burning me :!:

go the swannies/wallabies/socaroos/blues :!:
If it's well engineered it's beautiful .

Spoon
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Spoon » Fri Jun 09, 2006 2:51 pm

Disregarding where you eat you bacon and eggs, I think the main problem is the council and the lone administrator that has somehow taken on complete power over the region of Warringah. Dick seems to approve any developement he likes no matter how much opposition there is from locals and he doesn't even live in the area. Surely it must be time to give us residents of Warringah our rights back to vote our own council and give Dick the flick. :evil:
Al this is gold. "She didn't realise I was fairly high and spent much of the evening trying to figure out why a purple and orange cow wanted me to climb a tree."