Sunny Garcia Faces Likely Gaol Sentence for Tax Evasion

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

filthbarrel
regular

Sunny Garcia Faces Likely Gaol Sentence for Tax Evasion

Post by filthbarrel » Wed Jun 07, 2006 2:59 pm

As Nick Carroll hinted at in his Jan 06 interview with Sunny Garcia:
http://www.surfingthemag.com/news/surfi ... index.html
there be a world of problem facing the bloke.

Today it has been revealed in the Honolulu Advertiser:
http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/apps/ ... /1001/NEWS
that he faces a likely ten months in prison for tax evasion.

Tax and death huh?

scroopulis
Local

Post by scroopulis » Wed Jun 07, 2006 3:46 pm

Geez, wouldn't it be nice to be able to 'forget' to pay a couple of hundred grand in tax over the last couple of years??!!

Pretty stupid. I don't think prison will him much good.

filthbarrel
regular

Post by filthbarrel » Wed Jun 07, 2006 3:53 pm

Rest assured that prison doesn't do anyone any good. Ever.

In Sunny's case, asset confiscation would be far more appropriate.

Meataxe
barnacle

Post by Meataxe » Wed Jun 07, 2006 4:12 pm

My Dad would do that every year if mum wasn't keeping a close eye on him.

g_u_m_b_y
barnacle

Post by g_u_m_b_y » Wed Jun 07, 2006 4:50 pm

you shouldnt say that stuff on the internet, you never know whos watching

Meataxe
barnacle

Post by Meataxe » Wed Jun 07, 2006 4:53 pm

Feeling a bit paranoid today Gumby? You didn't just smoke weed for the first time did you?

dreamin
regular

Post by dreamin » Wed Jun 07, 2006 6:10 pm

fuck i hate tax.. and it shits me that a large group out in the west can fucken get the dole on my back, while they work cash in hand and do up their cars..

Beerfan

tax

Post by Beerfan » Wed Jun 07, 2006 6:26 pm

You think people don't do that in bondi??. How about the wealthy scumbags who'se wives collect child endowments from the governement while driving 100k cars??. Not that i dont agree with you but people who have plenty of money rip off the taxpayer too

rae
Local

Post by rae » Wed Jun 07, 2006 9:06 pm

Yeah, but then there's those that really need the money and don't screw the whole thing over and when u see how bad the lives of some of those people are i find it hard to complain. Which i guess makes it all the worse that people are scamming the money when others need it so much.

patske
regular

Post by patske » Wed Jun 07, 2006 9:47 pm

I don't think it was sunny purposely scamming the IRS I think it was more that he was busy partying and surfing and really couldn't be bothered keeping track of all the money that was coming in, I can understand that.
If my step dads accountant didn't look after all my shit I'd be lost sometimes just because I've never sat down to look at it all. I'm sure sunny had an accountant but just lost track of telling him everything

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Wed Jun 07, 2006 9:50 pm

dreamin wrote:**** i hate tax.. and it shits me that a large group out in the west can **** get the dole on my back, while they work cash in hand and do up their cars..
Ah how times change :lol: :lol: :lol:
Back when Bronte Beach was a strip of empty shops with one surf shop and the astra wasn't a retirement centre I think you could find a bit of double dealing going on in the eastern suburbs.

If you think half the cafes aren't running cash in hand now you really are dreamin mate.

Chamberess
Owl status

Post by Chamberess » Thu Jun 08, 2006 9:28 am

i agree with you beanpole.when i was living in north bondi/rosebay cusp,my neighbour was this late 30's italian guy who was living in the penthouse of a block of units he built.

I'd walk home from school and he constantly had his italian/lebanese mates coming over with their done up cars,having parties every weekend. then if that wasnt suss enough (you kinda had to be there to see it) the cops rocked up a few times and there were young models staying over at his place regularly,including one of the billabong girls.

Kunji
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Kunji » Thu Jun 08, 2006 9:37 am

Crime does not pay!
------------
BA (on Realsurf) wrote: It's the wild west with a bit more homo-eroticism.

HB
regular

Post by HB » Thu Jun 08, 2006 9:41 am

I don't like the direction this thread is taking.

I once travelled with a white, anglo saxon guy, who sold dope to fund his adventurers and his mum collected his dole for him - and she was an anglo, too!

Once I even heard of some girls(!!) on the dole and surfing at Byron - yep you guessed it - whities also.

There, that's better.
"Stay happy and everything will be perfectly all right"... Jack Norris

Chamberess
Owl status

Post by Chamberess » Thu Jun 08, 2006 9:49 am

HB wrote:I don't like the direction this thread is taking.

I once travelled with a white, anglo saxon guy, who sold dope to fund his adventurers and his mum collected his dole for him - and she was an anglo, too!

Once I even heard of some girls(!!) on the dole and surfing at Byron - yep you guessed it - whities also.

There, that's better.
well HB,my parents are European.Not every mention of a nationality is a racist comment :roll:

HB
regular

Post by HB » Thu Jun 08, 2006 10:08 am

Sorry. I must be a bit sensitive today. Probably had something to do with seeing those Cronulla riot morons on the front page of smh.com.au again. It really is bloody embarrassing.

OK, back on topic - Sunny Garcia. 20 years as a pro surfer - I think he knew what was going on.

Have a nice day everyone, and remember to pay your taxes - or take Kerry Packer's lead and don't pay a cent.
"Stay happy and everything will be perfectly all right"... Jack Norris

creeper

Post by creeper » Thu Jun 08, 2006 10:09 am

how can you forget to declare overseas earnings of over $400000? you don't, not even $400. forgetting has nothing to do with it. seriously,we're not talking about a bit of cash for labouring now and then here. it's just those that think they're above the rest of us that do and they do end up getting caught. "He acknowledges that he made very serious mistakes". sure did.

patske
regular

Post by patske » Thu Jun 08, 2006 10:36 am

fair enough but I'm not sure how it works.. if you do the jail time do you still have to pay the money back or do they scrap the bill when they send you to jail.

Seems a bit pointless sending someone to club fed AND flipping a bill. Why not just work out some sort of inflated bill and make em pay it back.