Surfers are Birds

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

Lucky Al
Duke Status

Surfers are Birds

Post by Lucky Al » Fri Jun 02, 2006 5:21 am

Gulls are seabirds in the family Laridae. They are most closely related to the terns (family Sternidae), and more distantly to the waders, auks and skimmers.

They are in general medium to large birds, typically grey or white, often with black markings on the head or wings. They have stout, longish bills and webbed feet.

Most gulls are ground-nesting carnivores, which will take live food or scavenge opportunistically. They are typically coastal or inland species, rarely venturing far out to sea.

Gulls are resourceful and highly-intelligent birds, demonstrating complex methods of communication and a highly-developed social structure. Certain species have exhibited tool use behaviour, and many have thrived in human habitats.

Johnno
Harry the Hat

Post by Johnno » Fri Jun 02, 2006 6:27 am

Haven't ever seen any gulls in a surf shop ...................... :wink: :D

p.s Al that water looks off but then again surfing in crystal clear water up here does make one spoilt.................. :D :lol:

Greensurf
Grommet

Post by Greensurf » Fri Jun 02, 2006 9:00 am

Faaark Faaaark FAAAAAAAARRRRRK (sound of crow cawing)

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Fri Jun 02, 2006 9:28 am

“Gulls are resourceful and highly-intelligent birds, demonstrating complex methods of communication and a highly-developed social structure. Certain species have exhibited tool use behaviour, and many have thrived in human habitats.”

So that’s why they love chips...

Squidlips
barnacle

Post by Squidlips » Fri Jun 02, 2006 11:23 am

nice pics, reminds me of home (UK) :D

Kunji
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Kunji » Fri Jun 02, 2006 12:02 pm

Stay away from the brown Acid. :P
------------
BA (on Realsurf) wrote: It's the wild west with a bit more homo-eroticism.

scroopulis
Local

Post by scroopulis » Fri Jun 02, 2006 12:07 pm

I thought most surfers were bums.

chrisb
Owl status

Post by chrisb » Fri Jun 02, 2006 1:16 pm

and your point is ?

murrum
Local

Post by murrum » Fri Jun 02, 2006 2:53 pm

I think he is saying with a bit of resourcefulness - surfers can scavenge wave action in unlikely spots...

And, by jingo, those Japanese love a bit of concrete.
the dreams that stuff was made of

collnarra

Post by collnarra » Fri Jun 02, 2006 3:07 pm

There's a pommy wetsuit brand called "Gul"

http://www.gul.com/

Mr_momo_32
Local

Post by Mr_momo_32 » Fri Jun 02, 2006 5:09 pm

what a nutter... why are you talking about birds? :roll:

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Sat Jun 03, 2006 8:51 am

Surfers definitely fight over waves like seagulls over a chip at Bondi.

Lucky Al
Duke Status

Post by Lucky Al » Mon Jun 05, 2006 2:28 am

This spot, wow! Every day for five months I rode over the bridge that crosses the river in front of it on my way to town or to the local beachbreaks, but I never saw anything like this until last Saturday, when a huge swell came up from down south and light offshores blew from early morning. The river looked and smelled like a mud puddle in the grounds of a paint factory, and was full of the sorts of things you see in the back corners of building sites. It was tricky getting in (I slipped and cut the palm of my hand and the bottom of my foot on sharp rocks before I'd even got my hair wet) and tricky catching and riding the waves, but there were short, misshapen barrels to be had, and when I arrived just two guys were in the water, and they got out as I got in, so 'Faaark!!!' is right. Kept thinking as I surfed and when I'd got out about... different things. At one point, gulls came to mind.

Lucky Al
Duke Status

Post by Lucky Al » Mon Jun 05, 2006 2:30 am

Also been thinking that the Realsurf.com forum is a great medium in which to do what they do in the mags - that is, use words and pictures to tell stories, develop and communicate ideas, describe or invent places and people, and so on. We're always complaining about the mags and wondering about alternatives, but I reckon we needn't go beyond this forum to create things of real cultural value. (Not to say that the little piece of nonsense with which I started this thread is a thing of real cultural value - far from it, but possibly useful as an exercise in form.) There are good surfers, photographers, writers and thinkers among us. Working on our own or collaborating, we ought to be able to produce pieces of at least equal quality and interest to anything in the mags, including travel stories, interviews, historical articles, social commentaries, photo essays and fiction. Sure there's no money in it, but also no rejection or censorship by editors, publishers or advertisers, and no enormous waste of paper. Finally, the simple pleasures of working on, showing to others, and having others offer feedback on creations of our own for many of us would no doubt be reward enough.

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Mon Jun 05, 2006 9:17 pm

That sounds like Realsurf, Al. So your point is?

Lucky Al
Duke Status

Post by Lucky Al » Tue Jun 06, 2006 1:50 am

I've been sleep-posting, Beanpole! And letting words tangle me up like a legrope around my ankles.

macca202
Harry the Hat

Post by macca202 » Tue Jun 06, 2006 2:20 am