Beach break Surf etiquette

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

Greensurf
Grommet

Post by Greensurf » Mon May 29, 2006 6:45 pm

I was out between Elouera and Wanda today on my mini mal during my lunch hour, getting a lot of waves in the smallest amount of time. Anyway this Maori bloke spews at me and tries to drop in. I call him off and he wants to go for it on the beach.

Anyway, I flick off said wave and he is still crapping on saying I am dropping in on everyone. However, the way I see it he was just pissed cos he couldnt catch waves and actually paddled 150m up north to where I was cos he thought the waves were better there cos I was getting so many. The only reason I was getting so many was that I know the peaks very well, having surfed there 5-6 times a week for the last 6 months or so... All the shortboarders were sitting right inside getting their own waves and not complaining except this one guy. No one bothered paddling out the back.

I ride Mals, shortboards and minimals depending on the conditions and my mental attitude at the time. I reckon this guy was just discriminating against me for riding a mini mal..he said I shouldnbt be riding a heap like that (It is a $300 Chinese epoxy popout but it absolutely rips the shit in 3 foot plus waves). I just told him he was jealous cos I was a better surfer. (I felt like telling him to take his Chilli Bin and Jandals and go back to Bondi but 2 wrongs dont make a right)

We continue arguing for about 5 mins and I just couldnt get him to see the point that if you sit still you aint gonna get as many waves. He goes on about seeing me dropping in on everyone for the last 20 mins or so, but in reality I did no such thing. I argued the case that if you dont paddle out to the peak, dont expect to take off on the inside section. I tell him beach breaks are different to point breaks in that the peak is constantly shifting and it is sometimes pot luck who gets it but closest to inside rules (unless I am actually snaking someone)...I regard snaking as paddling inside a few metres away from someone...If I paddle 50-60m up the beach and a further 70 metres outside I dont consider that snaking.

The point of all the raving above is WHAT DO YOU GUYS/CHICKS reckon constitutes dropping in/snaking? Is what I am doing technically incorrect?...I must stress that these waves could be caught by a shortboard from where I was taking off but no-one bothered to paddle out there...Also, in 30+ years of surfing I have never had anyone have a go at me for the way I surf and try for my waves. I only get into arguments when people drop in on me and these are usually beginners. (when I was young we all paid our dues and waited for the crumbs but it seems that a lot of beginners dont respect that anymore..they have the equipment but just cant understand that the better surfers have put in years of practice to get where they are).

The other point is that everyone today was in steamers and I am in a short john so paddling is not so much a problem and I like to paddle as hard as I can for a good workout...beats jogging.

Just interested to see what the gurus of realsurf think. What experiences have you had about people not understanding beach etiquette?

marty
barnacle

Re: Beach break Surf etiquette

Post by marty » Mon May 29, 2006 7:04 pm

Greensurf wrote: I know the peaks very well, having surfed there 5-6 times a week for the last 6 months or so...
no-one should be subjected to this @ cronulla's beachies.
i feel for you.

tootr
Duke Status

Post by tootr » Mon May 29, 2006 7:24 pm

from the way things are going "beach break surf etiquette" (or any surf etiquette) is going the way of the dodo bird, quality hamburgers and honest politicians :lol:

but IMO your jandal wearing mate was just frustrated he was missing out (was he a big fat f**k ??) - if u can't compete these days - fugeddaboutit and take up golf, and if you're a learner expecting a free pass - fugeddabout that too

Grooter
Duke Status

Post by Grooter » Tue May 30, 2006 9:18 am

Sharing is caring.

I have only once had an arument with some arogant idiot and that was at Gunnamatta. He was bitching and whinging about drop-ins, min-mals and so on.

I pointed out that he was currently surfing on one of the most popular breaks in Victoria. Mentioned that plenty of surf comps get held there, it's used by people of all different experience levels etc... if you don't like it go someone else that is not so publically known.

It pretty much fell on deaf ears (always does with people like this) but everyone else just ignored him anyway and he didn't stay around for much longer.

I think that if you are surfing on a very popular beach be it Gunna, Bondi, Bells, whatever, then you should take what you can get and be grateful for it. You just can't ever expect others to show the same etiquette or experience as others on a crowded line up.

A measure of any good surfer is the etiquette they show to others (which I always try and do) but I just ignore those that don't anyway.

gman
Grommet

Post by gman » Tue May 30, 2006 10:25 am

I just ignore anyone who goes off in the water for no reason and stick to my guns. It's easy you smile and say thanks have great surf then move on with what your doing. Don't let another persons problems into your own space. Works every time.

hamish
regular

Post by hamish » Tue May 30, 2006 10:38 am

why is snaking considered less reprehensible than dropping in? Out at trigg last week and guys on mals were snaking the hell out of everyone and acting aggrieved when I paddled to keep my line. Whatever happened to lining up let alone surf etiquette?

buzzy
barnacle

Post by buzzy » Tue May 30, 2006 12:08 pm

Yep Hamish, one thing that bugs me is when you are sitting right on the peak and someone paddles from outside to try to snake you! Argh. I'm a bit of a "sitter" though in that I'll scope out a spot that peaks up or lines up or whatever and just wait for the optimal wave shape for that little peak or spot. Generally I'll catch as many waves as blokes buzzing around like flies, with half the energy expended.

Another thing which bugs me too is again, you're sitting on the peak and someone paddles to your inside to claim the wave. That's cool as long as they aren't snaking. If you can make it, go for it. But mostly they haven't got the ability and get caught behind the foam. Meanwhile I don't paddle because it's not clear whether they'll make it or not, with the end result no-one gets a wave.

And another thing, people paddling on the outside right next to you when you are clearly going to get the wave. Do I really HAVE to call you off. If I'm going to get the wave just wait for the next one, don't be angling to drop in.

Hawkeye
barnacle

Post by Hawkeye » Tue May 30, 2006 12:45 pm

If a guy is sharing the peak with me, and the waves are coming steadily, I'll give the guy waves and I'll work to take it in turns, especially if he's friendly enough to say G'day.

But if someone is sitting on the shoulder or 70m across and 50m in from me, and gets annoyed, it's his problem not mine.

I do get annoyed with snaking, especially from kooks on mals. Happened during the big April swells at Collaroy. You'd be inside because you need to catch the wave later on the steeper drop, and these guys would paddle from outside off your right shoulder (it was breaking right) around behind you and be right next to you on your left shoulder just as you're about to pop up. :evil:

Or they'd just straight drop in - not a lot of fun when the sets are pushing through a couple of feet overhead.

dreamin
regular

Post by dreamin » Tue May 30, 2006 12:54 pm

often people mistake angled paddling for snaking -- often people will go around you, but generally they are further out & they see and chase.. I find that good surfers tend to be more focused on getting into position before they look around to check if they are dropping in.

I go to the lineup with the sit in a place & wait for my wave mentality -- i dont chase, i just soak in the fresh air & relax, and guaranteed i'll get a few great waves that are mine -- and everyone around knows it.

morrisey
Grommet

Post by morrisey » Tue May 30, 2006 12:56 pm

Firstly I would like to say, you were on a mini mal so you were in the wrong. Secondly, I know how it is on ya lunch break, but if you had just once stopped being a typical mini mal wave hog and called the old boy into one, you probably would av been havin beers with him after and avoided an argument completely. 8)

Natho
barnacle

Post by Natho » Tue May 30, 2006 1:30 pm

I wouldn't say the mini mal is in the wrong. Rules of surfing are not well defined. What I would say is that if you are on a wave hog machine, and you are taking wave after wave then the other guy who has to work harder, and can't get into the wave as early as you is going to get pi$$ed.

I guess it is just plain manners to give him a couple, and not expect to paddle straight back out and get the very next wave (as some mal riders do). At the end of the day this is up to you, and nothing says you have to. Its just called a liitle RESPECT.

On the other hand, if you were out there surfing that peak by yourself, and this guy paddled out on his shorty when there were many other peaks...well he kind of should know what he is getting himself into before he paddles out.

If he was out there and then you turned up on your wave hog machine and thought you could take every wave...then I would understand his frustration. No excuse for violence though.

Shaunm
Snowy McAllister

Post by Shaunm » Tue May 30, 2006 1:53 pm

You answered it in your first sentence Mini-mal & lunch hour :D

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Tue May 30, 2006 2:41 pm

Greensurf wrote:The point of all the raving above is WHAT DO YOU GUYS/CHICKS reckon constitutes dropping in/snaking?
In order to Drop In on someone, the person must be taking off on your inside, closer to the curl at the point of takeoff, and you must take off anyway, thus blocking their ride. Do Not Drop In is the general surfing rule.

In order to Snake someone, you must abuse the above rule by waiting on the outside shoulder position until the last second, then sneaking onto the inside after the person has already begun paddling into the ride, and calling 'em off on that basis.

On the moral scale, Dropping In may have more severe consequences, but Snaking is the more evil, since it for sure requires premeditation. Dropping In can be accidental, but Snaking never is.

If you on your mini-mal were paddling out, taking the inside fair and square, and riding almost every good wave at the expense of your Maori buddy, then you are a Wave Hog, which may be fun and all, but will for SURE end in tears if you try it on a more skilled surfer than yourself.

If you on your mini-mal were taking waves from other surfers by using the apparent paddling characteristics of the board, you are also a Wave Hog and once again will one day come severely to grief at the hands (and/or rails) of a more skilled surfer.
Greensurf wrote:What experiences have you had about people not understanding beach etiquette?
Oh, none! I find everyone I surf with to be the picture of etiquette and good manners in the surf. That's Newport Peak for you! Come on up and join us!!

snakes
barnacle

Post by snakes » Tue May 30, 2006 7:41 pm

Nick Carroll wrote: Oh, none! I find everyone I surf with to be the picture of etiquette and good manners in the surf. That's Newport Peak for you! Come on up and join us!!

Just watch out for those drop bears though eh Nick

snakes

harveybirdman
regular

Post by harveybirdman » Tue May 30, 2006 9:59 pm

Regardless of what constitutes a drop-in, you should keep in mind that just because you're able to sit deeper for every wave doesn't mean you should take them all. Sure, if you're good enough or have the right board you should have priority, but good manners would suggest that you leave some for those less fortunate than yourself. Otherwise you might find yourself on the wrong end of 100 kilos of angry Maori!

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Tue May 30, 2006 10:25 pm

Why, why , why do we have another post on the etiquette of snaking?
Everyone goes through the same arguments to justify the unjustifiable. You never know objectively how reasonable or unreasonable the situation is unless you see it.
Regardless of anything else why don't we agree to let everyone have a wave once in a while.

Johnno
Harry the Hat

Post by Johnno » Wed May 31, 2006 6:10 am

Beanpole wrote:Why, why , why do we have another post on the etiquette of snaking?
Just a city thing ................. :wink: :lol:

Lot more behaved up this way as you never know who's got a shot gun in their car ............. :shock: :lol:

breaks
Grommet

Post by breaks » Wed May 31, 2006 10:10 am

Greensurf, sounds like he was pissed because you were snaking him and you are cut up because you know you were snaking him