I fell in love at 8:10am this morning

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

Chamberess
Owl status

Post by Chamberess » Fri May 26, 2006 12:54 pm

Longboarder wrote:To the comment about wishing there was a surf mag that was all pictures and no articles or ads, come on am i the only one that finds value in words. I think a story is just as good as any picture. Provided the writer has some clue.
i can honestly count all the times on one hand that ive read an article in a surf mag and thought "wow,that was great" and i not only read aussie surf mags,but american ones too.

Lairdy
Grommet

Plug

Post by Lairdy » Fri May 26, 2006 1:00 pm

What a plug.

the shackle
regular

Post by the shackle » Fri May 26, 2006 2:57 pm

i am in that mag.
contents page, two blokes checking the surf, i am the one on the right.
how fucken good am I.
somebody sponsor me.

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Fri May 26, 2006 3:09 pm

ric_vidal wrote:Aye Nickitty, is ASL part of the EMAP behemoth?
No, it's part of a small independent publishing company owned by Peter Morrison, based on the Goldy but has offices in Syd and Melb, and a great company to work with, mostly 'cause PM is tough but fair with a bullshit detector that's second to none, and his managing staff are the best in the business.

I don't like behemoths, I work with one in the US (Surfing magazine, owned by billion-dollar Primedia Inc) but it doesn't feel like one because the crew (Evan Slater, Steve Sherman, Nate Myers, Ross Garrett, Don Meek, Cody Welsh, Travis Ferre, everyone else there too) are all super cool and get to run their own deal. I think head office is a bit scared of 'em actually.

And Alvin, really, mate, I think you're overrating the "give a s**t" factor of the readership re Reuben's nationality.

vortex
charger

Post by vortex » Fri May 26, 2006 3:22 pm

mudguts wrote:i'd like to see the poster girls "secret spot"
hehehe best thing said on this thread so far f'sure!

Alvin
Grommet

Post by Alvin » Fri May 26, 2006 3:27 pm

Nick Carroll wrote: And Alvin, really, mate, I think you're overrating the "give a s**t" factor of the readership re Reuben's nationality.
Sorry - re-read my message and probably came across the wrong way...I knew Reuben when he was a little kid...given all the usual stereotypes about drowning pommy backpackers, was amused/stoked to see him in the techniques section of the mag
vortex wrote:So 'Alvin', if that is your real name, when you can backflip above Shar Island's dry end section, surge, when its pushing 8 foot, then i might consider taking you seriously when you say sponging is 'easy'.

Shaunm
Snowy McAllister

Post by Shaunm » Fri May 26, 2006 3:34 pm

Chamberess wrote:
Shaunm wrote:This isn't for "General Section" unless you're gonna say you looked up and saw a whale or dlphin @ the Bra
actually it is,if im talking about falling in love with something i saw in a surfing mag,it can only mean one of two things:

1. waves
2.poster chick
3. a McTavish :lol:
and given i am not that way inclined,it is safe to say it is number 1.

Lucky Al
Duke Status

Post by Lucky Al » Fri May 26, 2006 3:42 pm

I hate surf photographers - it's too easy for them to make girls swoon. Okay, so maybe I envy them. But no, who could envy them all those hours spent sweating on the sand? I must just hate them, then. But I also fear them! Yes, I fear them, for every one of them suffers from fundamental mental derangement, and every one holds within his twisted black heart a dirty secret: the secret of whether the choice he made to take pictures rather than surf stemmed from strength or weakness, whether that choice was a fearful or a courageous one. These are dangerous individuals, to be hated and feared by all of us who can think clearly and feel sincerely. I always look for a big rock to pick up when I see one on the sand where I must pass on my way to the water's edge, and I advise you all to do the same.

marty
barnacle

Post by marty » Fri May 26, 2006 4:57 pm

Nick Carroll wrote:No, it's part of a small independent publishing company owned by Peter Morrison, based on the Goldy but has offices in Syd and Melb,
Is that Morrison Media Nick? The same company that do Movement Magazine (Bodyboarding).

vortex
charger

Post by vortex » Fri May 26, 2006 6:27 pm

Lucky Al wrote:I hate surf photographers - it's too easy for them to make girls swoon. Okay, so maybe I envy them. But no, who could envy them all those hours spent sweating on the sand? I must just hate them, then. But I also fear them! Yes, I fear them, for every one of them suffers from fundamental mental derangement, and every one holds within his twisted black heart a dirty secret: the secret of whether the choice he made to take pictures rather than surf stemmed from strength or weakness, whether that choice was a fearful or a courageous one. These are dangerous individuals, to be hated and feared by all of us who can think clearly and feel sincerely. I always look for a big rock to pick up when I see one on the sand where I must pass on my way to the water's edge, and I advise you all to do the same.
Al, i love to surf but i also like filming too. Its a pretty straight forward equation. Surf = enjoy it at present. Film = enjoy logging a session for later (and forever). I really like getting both on, and i've made friends along the way who've been frothing that someone was there to catch THAT barrel for them to watch again and again. Besides, in Sydney, where crowds are prevalent, there's a lot of opportunity to collect footage of nearly every wave ridden, rather than sitting out there fighting for the odd one. Empty sessions = surf, most Syd sessions = film. That's the general rule i find myself following.

And yeah Marty i'd say that Morrison Media does both mags, though i thought Morrison was Riptide? Not sure who Movement's publisher is?

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Fri May 26, 2006 6:39 pm

Nick Carroll wrote:
ric_vidal wrote:Aye Nickitty, is ASL part of the EMAP behemoth?
No, it's part of a small independent publishing company owned by Peter Morrison, based on the Goldy but has offices in Syd and Melb, and a great company to work with, mostly 'cause PM is tough but fair with a bullshit detector that's second to none, and his managing staff are the best in the business.
Ta, hope you don’t work in ‘the office’, it just wouldn’t feel right in this electronic age, and what with your surfing, XXXX training :roll:, family and all. Perhaps just the occasional meeting at the Sydney office to talk strategy for the next issue. :wink:

Squidlips
barnacle

Re: I fell in love at 8:10am this morning

Post by Squidlips » Fri May 26, 2006 9:03 pm

dinosaur wrote:
Chamberess wrote:Saw Dinosaur in the surf today and stopped dead in my tracks...i was in love.

No worries love. Shouldn't this be in the "who has actually met a reeeal life person from reaaal surf?" topic though.
gold :lol:

vortex
charger

Re: I fell in love at 8:10am this morning

Post by vortex » Fri May 26, 2006 9:27 pm

squidlips wrote:
dinosaur wrote:I'm a virgin.
gold :lol:
Second that.

marty
barnacle

Post by marty » Fri May 26, 2006 11:25 pm

no.
you moved the motion, vortex merely seconded it (or seconded that it was infact gold).
Consequently it was passed unanimously.

Beerfan

love

Post by Beerfan » Sat May 27, 2006 6:34 am

I fall in love everytime i walk out the back and see the tap on my keg fridge waiting for me to empty it!. It talks to me i swear, whispers sweet nothings in my ear, really!

Bigpete

Post by Bigpete » Sat May 27, 2006 10:13 am

Back on topic. Surfer magazine issue 2 1961 I think. There was a wetsuit add on the back cover with a well endowed girl modelling the latest gear. Dunno whether it was the wettie (we were all wearing footie jumpers out in the break back then) or the nice bulges underneath the neoprene, but it's just as well it was the back cover otherwise that mag would have had its pages glued together permenantly. :wink: Well what else could you expect from a sixteen year old lad?
Back to lurking mode now.
Good on yez all
Bigpete

Deadbolt
Local

Post by Deadbolt » Sun May 28, 2006 1:31 pm

dinosaur wrote: The Brand. My Brothers Keeper. The Slogan. Clothes for the urban soldier.
What is this guy on.
that makes me want to smack my head. ridiculous. urban soldier? ha.

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Sun May 28, 2006 2:01 pm

marty wrote:Is that Morrison Media Nick? The same company that do Movement Magazine (Bodyboarding).
Yes Morrison Media, and they do Riptide, not Movement.

And Lucky Al! I share your hatred of surf photographers! They are always trying to trick me into arranging surf trips for them. Then they go on the surf trips ... and don't go surfing! Instead they take all these stupid photographs and send them to Billabong and make a fortune. Then they get these most amazing girlfriends, no doubt through promising to make them really big in showbiz somehow, and the girl only wakes up to it four years later when she's lumping his gear down some impossible cliff in Mexico, while the pro surfers are yelling at her for being late.

Meanwhile there I am sitting at the cliff base, too tired from XXXX training to go for surf, forced instead to watch and take notes for some story nobody will ever read because they're too busy looking at the PICTURES.

Yes ric well may you laugh.