Season.

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

Chamberess
Owl status

Post by Chamberess » Thu May 18, 2006 12:58 pm

no nothing.just a silly kook who knows f**k all about waves and now i will bow down and kiss your feet as you are so great.

you are the type of person who bums people out when they are having a good time.people just muck around,talk sh*t and you can't go with it.instead,you somehow feel the need to be the alpha male and have a go at me publicly in the hope of embaressing/humiliating me infront of everyone or so that i look stupid.

matt...
charger

Post by matt... » Thu May 18, 2006 1:00 pm

now, now children....

kiss & make up...

in the grand scheme of things - does it really matter??

BTW: Autumn is unreal
nature is a language. can't you read?
if you spend your life looking behind you, you don't see what's up front...

marty
barnacle

Post by marty » Thu May 18, 2006 1:06 pm

i've missed most of the awesome waves, but also missed the flat spells aswell/
9-5 monday to friday will do that to you.
but i've picked my times and scored some pretty good waves.

back to uni in july, which means a lot more time in the water.
hopefully winter is in full swing by then.

Chamberess
Owl status

Post by Chamberess » Thu May 18, 2006 1:07 pm

sorry,im just bummed cause i lost my life savings on green last night :cry:

Lucky Al
Duke Status

Post by Lucky Al » Thu May 18, 2006 1:14 pm

This year was no exception, with a series of large heavy groundswells from the east and south through the bulk of the period, accompanied by 22-23 degree water and regular bursts of offshore wind.
Nick, do you keep a journal? Since moving to Japan I've become obsessed with typhoons, and when I read your post it occurred to me that keeping a journal might be a good idea. But I wonder where to start, what information to record and in what format? If anyone else keeps such records I'd be interested to hear about them, too.

Longygrom
barnacle

Post by Longygrom » Thu May 18, 2006 1:25 pm

This year autumn has been good for me, ive basicaly ridden every board in my workable quiver over the month. Ive gone from guns to logs. fun times

Lucky Al
Duke Status

Post by Lucky Al » Thu May 18, 2006 1:32 pm

Ahhh I just realised it's autumn in Australia right now, so Nick was referring to recent weeks and not the distant past. Doo-di-doo-di-doo...

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Thu May 18, 2006 2:08 pm

Lucky Al wrote:Nick, do you keep a journal? Since moving to Japan I've become obsessed with typhoons, and when I read your post it occurred to me that keeping a journal might be a good idea. But I wonder where to start, what information to record and in what format? If anyone else keeps such records I'd be interested to hear about them, too.
Do I keep a journal. I keep notes of the surf everyday wherever I am, and synoptic charts of major swell events when they happen. Sometimes write down something about the best wave I caught, or if I snap a board etc. It's not meant to be rigorous, more as a minor witnessing of my own surfing activity.

Underneath that of course I write down all the ice I smoked that day, if I killed anyone by accident or otherwise, if my brother dropped in on me, etc.

I reckon follow your obsession, let it dictate what and how you record.

BA
Duke Status

Post by BA » Thu May 18, 2006 2:22 pm

Still wearing a springy. Need I say more. Autumn's great.

Kunji
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Kunji » Thu May 18, 2006 2:29 pm

Nick Carroll wrote: Underneath that of course I write down all the ice I smoked that day, if I killed anyone by accident or otherwise, if my brother dropped in on me, etc.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Classic!

I used to keep a journal of where i surfed, who was out, size, swell direction and things but i lost it and it was too late to start again.

Every country i travel to i keep a jar of sand of the beach with the name on it. I need to travel more but got a few building up and more this year.
------------
BA (on Realsurf) wrote: It's the wild west with a bit more homo-eroticism.

el gringo rattis
regular

Post by el gringo rattis » Thu May 18, 2006 2:57 pm

Coops@DY wrote:
Nick Carroll wrote: Underneath that of course I write down all the ice I smoked that day, if I killed anyone by accident or otherwise, if my brother dropped in on me, etc.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Classic!

I used to keep a journal of where i surfed, who was out, size, swell direction and things but i lost it and it was too late to start again.

Every country i travel to i keep a jar of sand of the beach with the name on it. I need to travel more but got a few building up and more this year.
cant say i collect sand in a jar :D but i reckon ive got sand from atleast 53% of Australia's beaches on the floor of my car. i cant bring myself to clean it out..... also lazy 8)

bro
Local

Post by bro » Thu May 18, 2006 3:26 pm

I have keep a record of every surf so far this year from Jan 1st, where i surfed, what board I rode, how it went, how I surfed, what the conditions were like and anything else that seemed relevent at the time like mental state, physical conditioning etc. I know I have surfed over 100 times this year so far which is not bad considering today is the 138th day of the year :D

And NC jeez i bet you've written TC has dropped in on you on nearly every diary entry :D

Shaunm
Snowy McAllister

Post by Shaunm » Thu May 18, 2006 4:49 pm

Same with less detail
42 days not sessions omitting the times it was flat or white out so didn't get wet.
30 were spent helping friends 1st timers etc
6 were crap
6 were fun

pig champion
Local

Post by pig champion » Thu May 18, 2006 6:15 pm

Chamberess wrote:sorry,im just bummed cause i lost my life savings on green last night :cry:
hahaha ... choc owned danny green last night ... that was awesome ... made him look slow & lumbering

anthony mundine is an amazing athlete.
my heaters broke & i'm so tired ...

Lucky Al
Duke Status

Post by Lucky Al » Thu May 18, 2006 11:08 pm

You note-takers have inspired me. I'm going to get going on the 2006 typhoon season, which I gather started with a bit of surf in southwest Taiwan yesterday.

Dolphin63
Grommet

Post by Dolphin63 » Fri May 19, 2006 1:38 pm

Lucky Al: I’ve kept a journal for decades. The default format has to be brief or you can lapse. It’s your journal, so format it how you want.

As a guide I put: time, place, wave height, wave direction, period, wind direction and strength, AND a quality out of 10.

Quality 1 would be below knee high AND onshore. Quality 9 I’ll remember until Alzheimer’s sets in and if 10 happens I may retire. I often add a bit more such as board, crowd, barrels or stoke, but that’s optional.

Others I know paste in weather maps. I do often save the wave buoy graphs of very good days, but just file them away on my computer.

Bro: You’ve outdone me. This year I’ve surfed on 94 out of 139 days, and had a second session on 5 days, giving 99 sessions. I surfed 25 days in April.

Shaunm: What are you doing that’s different to me? Your post count here is much better.

Chamberess: You’re a good read, but I think I inhabit a different planet to you. Maybe even a different universe, as my one doesn’t revolve around either of us. Thanks for broadening my horizons, I never realised there were NSW surfers who despised autumn.

Anyone else bothering to read my garbage: I try not to be a sycophant, but Guru Nick is usually on the money.

huz
regular

Post by huz » Fri May 19, 2006 1:48 pm

Autum is the best time to surf. Ground swells and ofshore winds :D

Lucky Al
Duke Status

Post by Lucky Al » Fri May 19, 2006 9:21 pm

Dolphin63 mate, you've gotta share some of those journal entries with us! Let us relive three or four classic sessions from years long past with you!