May Dae, may Dae! (quick goodbye)

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

Lucky Al
Duke Status

Post by Lucky Al » Mon May 29, 2006 9:12 am

Sorry, didn't mean to offend or cause tension! I really am interested in what Ric has to say about our track record.

Ric, just off the top of my head I'd say our involvement in America's war on Vietnam was wrong, and allowing Indonesia's invasion and occupation of East Timor was wrong, too. Would you disagree?

munch
Harry the Hat

Post by munch » Mon May 29, 2006 9:38 am

dic wrote:Where have we done something militarily wrong that we should be ashamed of?
Lucky Al wrote:Ric, just off the top of my head I'd say our involvement in America's war on Vietnam was wrong, and allowing Indonesia's invasion and occupation of East Timor was wrong, too. Would you disagree?
I think the question is more about military behaviour :!: not political decisions ;)

and licky dic,
I can think of a few that we should be ashamed of
:arrow: like with all the boat people incidents ....
but I think in the majority of these situations they have been used as "political pawns".
And I think we have all got a lot less truth from the the military after the "children overboard" incident, where the military got shafted for telling truth :(
If it's well engineered it's beautiful .

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Mon May 29, 2006 11:01 am

Lucky Al wrote:Sorry, didn't mean to offend or cause tension! I really am interested in what Ric has to say about our track record.

Ric, just off the top of my head I'd say our involvement in America's war on Vietnam was wrong, and allowing Indonesia's invasion and occupation of East Timor was wrong, too. Would you disagree?
No offence taken :D yes our invlovement in Vietnam was unfortunate to say the least, but as Munchkins has pointed out, it was a political decision as is/was the decision to get involved in Fiji and The Solomons during times of unrest, Afganistan, Iraq... can’t criticise a person for doing their job.

Like it or not Al, the Americans and the Brits are our allies and I’m sure there is ALWAYS an ulterior motive, but it is not cut and dried and economics will come into it play. I just don’t see us as a nation of warmongers or as being overly aggressive.

The Americans, in their wisdom, have a adopted the mantle as world police, when it suits. Not popular perhaps but I don’t see too many other nations putting their hands up for the job or coming down that hard on them for some of their intervention. The United Nations has had many an opportunity to nip things in the bud, but they haven’t.

Historically, it would have taken a brave soul to give the order to stop the Indonesians invading East Timor. It’s just not our business to arbitarily intervene, hence the delaying of the recent decision to assist until it was formally requested by the East Timorese.

Munchkins, same same with boat people and ‘baby overboard’. You don’t honestly believe any military personnel wants to terrorise illegal immigrants? If they start killing and maiming immigrants then we’ve got a serious problem.

Al, I’m the ultimate pacifist, but I don’t believe for one minute that either political party would have made any decisions differently to what has already transpired, and to give them there dues, that the decisions are made with a fair degree of conscious and trepidation. This however is only my humble opinion :roll:

puurri
Owl status

Post by puurri » Mon May 29, 2006 10:25 pm

ric_vidal wrote:
Lucky Al wrote:Sorry, didn't mean to offend or cause tension! I really am interested in what Ric has to say about our track record.

No offence taken :D yes our invlovement in Vietnam was unfortunate to say the least, but as Munchkins has pointed out, it was a political decision as is/was the decision to get involved in Fiji and The Solomons during times of unrest, Afganistan, Iraq... can’t criticise a person for doing their job.

Like it or not Al, the Americans and the Brits might be allies of imagined (political) convenience and I’m sure there is ALWAYS an ulterior motive, but it is not cut and dried and economics will come into it play. I just don’t see us as a nation of warmongers or as being overly aggressive.

The Americans, in their wisdom, (Bad call mate)have a adopted the mantle as world police, when it suits. Not popular perhaps but I don’t see too many other nations putting their hands up for the job or coming down that hard on them for some of their intervention. The United Nations has had many an opportunity to nip things in the bud, but they haven’t.

Historically, it would have taken a brave soul to give the order to stop the Indonesians invading East Timor. It’s just not our business to arbitarily intervene, hence the delaying of the recent decision to assist until it was formally requested by the East Timorese.

Munchkins, same same with boat people and ‘baby overboard’. You don’t honestly believe any military personnel wants to terrorise illegal immigrants? If they start killing and maiming immigrants then we’ve got a serious problem.

Al, I’m the ultimate pacifist, but I don’t believe for one minute that either political party would have made any decisions differently to what has already transpired, and to give them there dues, that the decisions are made with a fair degree of conscious and trepidation. This however is only my humble opinion :roll:
Fair enough comment and open for those who take an objective strategic view to raise further matters..

Johnno
Harry the Hat

Post by Johnno » Tue May 30, 2006 6:47 am

ric_vidal wrote:The Americans, in their wisdom, have a adopted the mantle as world police, when it suits.
Only if a nation has oil .................. :wink:

p.s. Risky ric Virgin will have a profit this year due to the high demand of "Banana's"

Like one guy in Coffs put out 1000 boxes one day last week @ $100 per box.............. :shock: :lol: true. Also the bunch that won best bunch @ Coffs Show was worth $430 ........... :wink: :lol:

All Virgin Banana's.................... :wink:

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Tue May 30, 2006 8:46 am

Johnno wrote:
ric_vidal wrote:The Americans, in their wisdom, have a adopted the mantle as world police, when it suits.
Only if a nation has oil .................. :wink:
As I said J-Lo, when it suits. Is that such a bad thing though? Seems like it is for the benefit of more than the gas guzzlerssssss...
Johnno wrote: All Virgin Banana's.................... :wink:
So we’ve “branched out” :wink: let us know if you need a “hand” :wink: if only your counterpart in the US, Off1, could lift his game... maybe there is an opportunity in East Timor :idea: Virgin Oil

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Tue May 30, 2006 8:57 am

puurri wrote: Fair enough comment and open for those who take an objective strategic view to raise further matters..
Puurri, if you are going to edit comments, make it clear to the rest of the punters please. People don’t always read the original and can just pick up down the line.

Not saying I don’t agree with you in any manner shape or form, just think when any of us are trying to respond to someone’s comment with our own point-of-view it is best left as exactly that.

With respect, Ric :D

The Dan
Local

Post by The Dan » Tue May 30, 2006 8:32 pm

Bougainville?

The Dan
Local

Post by The Dan » Tue May 30, 2006 8:33 pm

sorry ignore me

offshore1
Duke Status

Post by offshore1 » Tue May 30, 2006 11:35 pm

ric_vidal wrote:: if only your counterpart in the US, Off1, could lift his game...
Still have two thousand trombones left to unload, ricketts :?

And a banjo.

More bad news, Reefgirls have gone over to the competition:

http://www.shaveeverywhere.com/

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Wed May 31, 2006 8:05 am

offshore1 wrote:
ric_vidal wrote:: if only your counterpart in the US, Off1, could lift his game...
Still have two thousand trombones left to unload, ricketts :?

And a banjo.
Virgin Bigband with a touch of blues/roots :D think outside the Reefcrack Off1!

Fong’ll probably take a thousand.

No this should be about Dae and the military - Army Bigband :!:

offshore1
Duke Status

Post by offshore1 » Wed May 31, 2006 10:37 am

Dunno what D'ay'oh does but, if it's entertainment, the whole bloody mess'll be over in a week :)

Lucky Al
Duke Status

Post by Lucky Al » Thu Jun 01, 2006 11:44 am

Didn't offer you much of a debate, did I, Ric! Got on a plane after my last post and came to America, and just took a look at the forum again ten minutes ago. I should stop talking bad about the police and other people just doing their jobs. Shit here I am using the facilities and drinking the fine beer of our allies, with hardly a thought of world politics entering my mind and I'm feeling right at home. Good luck keeping the peace, Dae.

fong

Post by fong » Thu Jun 01, 2006 9:39 pm

sux in lucky al....seppos got soft beer :lol:

reasons not b proud or diggers :?: well theres little matter of a illegeal war in iraq which has some our best join up with our allies :?: committing murders and torture.

sure, sure....our troops aren't the ones shooting mothers shielding there children between the eyes :arrow: BUT THEY/WE ARE PART OF THE FORCE COMMITTING THESE crimes....and as such...partly to blame :x

p.s i have more pride in the oz born r.a.f doctor who's locked up in jail 4 refusing to go back and support the murders :!:

the truth hurts hey dae

Dingus
Owl status

Post by Dingus » Thu Jun 01, 2006 10:15 pm

It's a tricky area huh. I'm not a big fan of guilt by association in this case.

There is a huge difference between the armies (Aus and US) in the type of person that populates both and it's at this level that things go wrong. Don't know if their commanders want this type of behaviour to happen, I'm kinda guessing not, they are gung-ho but not monsters.