I bought you a present darling

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

bombora
Local

I bought you a present darling

Post by bombora » Thu May 11, 2006 1:07 pm

Hiya all, been a lurker for a bit but here's my first post:
Mate's birthday last week. Wakes up to find wife grinning. "You're present is in the loungeroom". Once the wrapping paper was off he discovers the present is a Hynd Fish.
Hmmmmm. Anyone have any experience with a real old skool style fish? This one is the real deal; Sub 6ft none-angled wooden D fins, almost no rocker, incredibly straight rails into the deep swallow etc etc. I've read lots from people saying these true fish are great _ if your local is a lovely long point break and you have the skills of a Rasta/Hynd/Malloy brother etc. Read that they ain't the greatest in normal Sydney beachies? Any opinions?

Also anyone got stories to share of wives/partners/gfs/mums-dads buying you a board and wondering why your face drops when the wrapping comes off (and yes I know they should be grateful their loved one went to the effort!). Another mate found a Bear mini mal under the Christmas tree (aaaaaaargh! sorry but a bear mini mal IMHO in Sydney is a good sign of kookdom).
Cheers

scot
regular

Post by scot » Thu May 11, 2006 1:28 pm

i got home from work the other day and the better half says
"you should go on a surf trip somewhere"
just outa the blue.
so stoked.
g-land here i come :lol:

this is big cause she surfs as well but is willing to stay home with the kids while i go.

CaT_SPeW
charger

Post by CaT_SPeW » Thu May 11, 2006 1:30 pm

for my last birthday my girl bought me an afternoon diving with the sharks in the melbourne aquarium. i was a bit suspicious of her motives behind this :shock:

tootr
Duke Status

Post by tootr » Thu May 11, 2006 2:09 pm

hey bommy your points are more or less on the button, barring u don't have to be a superstar to get good results on a keel - just surf it smooth, draw you arcs out, don't back foot jam, and use the front foot and rail..

having said that i really enjoy surfing a keel but you're right they're better in waves with some room to move rather than quick 'pit and shoulder' beachbreaks..

a good addition to the quiver IMO

why doesn't my missus buy me stuff like that????

Shaunm
Snowy McAllister

Post by Shaunm » Thu May 11, 2006 3:48 pm

CaT_SPeW wrote:for my last birthday my girl bought me an afternoon diving with the sharks in the melbourne aquarium. i was a bit suspicious of her motives behind this :shock:
Me too @ Manly

Got smacked in the head by a big ray, lost my reg, mask even hood, 2 1/2 m grey nurse swung around to see what the action was about, opened its mouth really wide and the staff grabbed a bit of dead fish wobbled it in front of the shark who chomped it. Meanwhile the ray turned for another attack so re-kitted and we all got the hell out of there :shock:

bombora
Local

Post by bombora » Thu May 11, 2006 4:11 pm

thanks tootr! Will pass on tips to mate. It is a beautifuly crafted board I must say. Twin stringers and smicko little wood wedge sorta thing on nose and swallow tail. Sounds like it will go well on the boys' annual week up the coast surfing points!
Hey I have a manly aquarium yarn too: Shouted ex gf to swim with seals a few years back. Was going swimmingly so to speak, until one of em aqua-turded in her face. Could hear the scream underwater and through the face mask.
We broke up shortly afterwards.

BenNickson
regular

Post by BenNickson » Thu May 11, 2006 4:53 pm

Ive got a 5'8 Dain Thomas Twin Keel Fish that is a steve lis design, i ride is when the surf is 3ft and under and absolutely love it. It goes really nicely in most wave types, however it goes amazingly on a longer more drawn out wave. Have taken it out at bigger crescent head and brownwater, around 4-6ft, starts sketching a little on the 6fters but that might be more a skill level thing as well.
Your mate will have a ball on that board! Soooo much speed, but he will stop looking for barrels.
Twin Keels Forever

Chamberess
Owl status

Post by Chamberess » Thu May 11, 2006 9:13 pm

My ex bought me a 6'1 JS board,damn good one too.He event went to the trouble of matching the green ribbon to the green truck logo.haha