surfing is bad for you

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Tue May 09, 2006 7:13 pm

Surfing is a selfish and worthless activity. That pretty much explains its constant appeal to me :lol: :lol: :lol:

SuRf_CHiK_KT
Grommet

Post by SuRf_CHiK_KT » Tue May 09, 2006 7:35 pm

sorry to all i offended, i was only kidding as if i dont work if i didnt work my parents would go crazy i have to go good in skool and stuff or they take my board off me
Last edited by SuRf_CHiK_KT on Sun May 14, 2006 1:05 am, edited 2 times in total.

andycumo
Local
Location: anywhere thats shallow and hollow and uncrowded. ie; not sydney

Post by andycumo » Tue May 09, 2006 8:03 pm

your hardcore surf chick.
obviously some 1 has loaded parents that dont care if their daughter is a professional dropkick. yeh hardcore man sick n shit ay.

Chamberess
Owl status

Post by Chamberess » Wed May 10, 2006 8:34 am

andycumo wrote:your hardcore surf chick.
obviously some 1 has loaded parents that dont care if their daughter is a professional dropkick. yeh hardcore man sick n shit ay.
hahaha @ that comment...good one 8)

CaT_SPeW
charger

Post by CaT_SPeW » Wed May 10, 2006 11:54 pm

Chamberess wrote:
hahaha @ that comment...good one 8)
yeah agreed, eventually reality will set in, most of us have to work and hobbys/sports/lifeaddictions such as surfing must be pushed aside to make sure we make ends meet. like i said MOST of us, others are lucky....

Johnno
Harry the Hat

Post by Johnno » Thu May 11, 2006 6:28 am

CaT_SPeW wrote: others are lucky....
:arrow: ....................... :wink: :D :lol:

Back to the coal face kiddies............... :lol:

Realbooger
regular

Post by Realbooger » Thu May 11, 2006 6:34 am

Surfing isn't the problem its the people. If you learn to manage your life you can surf and work. I see no problem with it... its just like if you took up any other extra curricular(sorry for the horrible spelling its 5:30 in the morning) activity.

If millions of other people can manage it we should be able to.
"What ever you can do I can do better."

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Thu May 11, 2006 8:42 pm

Stop now before its too late :D

stoive
barnacle

Post by stoive » Fri May 12, 2006 7:20 pm

study is your parachute, 99.9% of people that have aspirations in the surf industry go nowhere and dont have the marks to fall back on. The higher HSC marks you get the more options, simple as that

mj
regular

Post by mj » Sat May 13, 2006 3:28 am

I think my issue is i feel sorry for the people chasing dollars that don't get the awesome feeling that i get from surfing. The tables, however, may turn when i'm a 30 year old with no real goals. Its so hard to get motivated to chase a career when surfing seems like something that wouldn't go hand-in-hand with that goal.

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Sat May 13, 2006 11:02 am

I almost had a kneejerk reaction to this thread along the "F**K, are you INSANE??" lines. But I reckon it's a good point, how to balance your surfing against the elements of a rounded life.

I know heaps of guys my age (46) and a bit older and younger who let surfing run out of hand and become an obsession, instead of a passion. They missed a lot of other boats in the process.

If you're in your late teens and this doesn't make much sense to you, I understand. But surfing by itself won't make a man healthy wealthy wise or much else, really.

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Sat May 13, 2006 10:15 pm

dinosaur wrote:
stoive wrote:study is your parachute, 99.9% of people that have aspirations in the surf industry go nowhere and dont have the marks to fall back on. The higher HSC marks you get the more options, simple as that
99% of people working in the surfing industry have never studied anything other than who to shmooze. It is riddled with sychophants and nepotism. Anyone with any actual skill and intelligence and high hsc marks, soon realises this and moves onto something real, fullfilling that's not morally or socially bankrupt. For nstance working in a slaughterhouse or looking after american government contracts in iraq.
Bitter and cynical view of the industry, Dinosaur.
Keep up the good work :D :D :D :D

thickfreakness
Grommet

Post by thickfreakness » Sat May 13, 2006 11:05 pm

yeah i can see the point the first poster is making, but thats just about getting your priorities right. to a degree boogering has defined my life, i cant imagine where i would be now if i had never become involved with it. although i have other things that i like to do as much now, i still find it amazing each time i get out there, every shit surf or drop in or beating is worth it when you get that nice heavy little pit or that nice air bowl

darnzy

Balance

Post by darnzy » Sun May 14, 2006 12:41 am

Its all about balance really.

I have uni 2 degrees, have an awesome job designing electronic circuits. But still surf 4-5 times a week.

Can't speak for others. But I think it's possible to surf well and still have a meaningful career path outside surfing.

I know others that surf a heap (and rip) but still work hard and have a good job.

I know it's not easy but,
if you find a job you like turning up to on monday morning,
everything else just seems to slide into place.

SuRf_CHiK_KT
Grommet

Post by SuRf_CHiK_KT » Sun May 14, 2006 1:03 am

yea my parents r full loaded im not hardcore i suk at surfing but i just love it, sorry do brag and im no dropkick i have to do well in school or my parents wont let me surf im really sorry i didnt mean to say it like dat
peace, KT
Last edited by SuRf_CHiK_KT on Sun May 14, 2006 9:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

vortex
charger

Post by vortex » Sun May 14, 2006 1:47 am

mj wrote:I think my issue is i feel sorry for the people chasing dollars that don't get the awesome feeling that i get from surfing. The tables, however, may turn when i'm a 30 year old with no real goals. Its so hard to get motivated to chase a career when surfing seems like something that wouldn't go hand-in-hand with that goal.
mj i think you've put perfectly my exact sentiments. I could not have said it better.

I'm halfway through a double degree (accounting and finance), which i dont mind and can handle the concepts but im just not sure how passionate i am about it. Y'know, not sure if its something i will be happy doing for the rest of my life.

I know i like ocean and the lifestyle it evokes - sunrises, healthy focus, cheap fun, mates, roadtrips, the ongoing quest of finding a certain spot on a certain day with certain conditions. Its beautiful really.

I also think im pretty keen on this whole videoing gig. Still, not sure if its something i want to make into a living, or just some knob-end fad of mine. Realistically, even if i did build success out of a surf video career(which quite frankly involves a lot of sucking up and comprimises some of my other ideals), there would come a time when i'd want to settle down with a girl and some mini-me's, and i think having a career which you constantly had to be off-and-away for would get in the way.

So, not really too sure at this stage.. Best bet i can say is just keep your options open. I am of course going to finish my study. And hey if im still as amped on video when im done i might do a course at TAFE and see what i think. Maybe i'll work a bank job and keep videoing as a hobby.

Realistically, i'll probably follow in the pattern of much of the modern workforce in having more than one career throughout the duration of my life. I guess my advice is to keep your options open and be forever on the lookout for things that make you happy, and consider perhaps how you could make a living out of it.

Sorry to have gone on with that, felt i needed to drop it somewhere. So anyway mj, whats your story? Keen to share im keen to listen...?

mj
regular

Post by mj » Mon May 15, 2006 10:56 pm

Yeah mate, i'm just a uni student that often feels the temptation to go to the beach instead of uni. This surely was an influential factor in me failing a couple of subjects. Surfing is the best feeling and i can forget all my worries for a few hours but can also create more worries down the track. I'm only 19 so still have time to sort it all out but it is an interesting issue. Anyways, lets see how this semester pans out.

Johnno
Harry the Hat

Post by Johnno » Tue May 16, 2006 6:42 am

Nick Carroll wrote:If you're in your late teens and this doesn't make much sense to you, I understand. But surfing by itself won't make a man healthy wealthy wise or much else, really.
I'm just out of my teens and it makes no sense to me ............... :wink: :lol:

Just comes down to what you want out of life as you only have one life to live so make the most of it .................... :arrow: