L-A-R-R-Y .... drives me around the bend ....

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

What do you think of Larry's posts?

like em ... good for a laugh
44%
hate em ... never read em
9%
the guy just complains non-stop
12%
intelligent & well written pieces
15%
i gave up reading his ramblings ages ago
21%

Total votes: 34

pig champion
Local

L-A-R-R-Y .... drives me around the bend ....

Post by pig champion » Tue Mar 23, 2004 10:41 am

is anyone else sick of his incessant whining & whinging on just about everything?? the guy cannot comment on anything without making some sort of complaint & to be honest ti really gets me down, so i avoid his rambling at all costs. give me stuey anyday! at least he seems positive!

take for example larry's "review" of blue horizon -

- too expensive
- someone must be making big $$ of all this
- too hot in the cinema
- arrogant americans
- everyone is a Billabong puppet esp jack mccoy
- too many ads
- stupid amateur short flick
- too loud!?!?!?
- music was 'shout-shit'!?!?!
- andy irons is a seppo-prat
- 3/10
- a neil young quote to finish off

jesus christ .... that was supposed to be a review?? it sounded to me more like a chance for larry to vent his bitter & twisted spleen.

everything i have ever read by this guy has been negative & whinging ... it seems like larry longs for the 'good old days' .... where surfers were thought of as drop-outs & drug addicts .... where you wore football jumpers smeared in vaso to keep you warm in winter .... where you surfed the bower sorrounded by turds .... where the pro tour was surfed in 1 foot slop at queenscliff & narrabeen .... well larry, sorry to tell you mate, but the world moves forward, people want to & have the right to make money & as much of it as they like ... funny thing that huh??

now i know you will run some sort of response that will try to make me look like a part of the big corporate machine that now runs surfing, but really i don't give a crap. i've just had enough of your negative, finger pointing tripe. maybe it's time you had a good look at yourself.

pig champion
my heaters broke & i'm so tired ...

bumbaclot
Supporter
Supporter

Post by bumbaclot » Tue Mar 23, 2004 11:24 am

Guys Larry's gotta be a POM! Also, he's older than god's dog.....which goes to qualify the reason as to why he's soooo p!ssed off with the world......you know grumpy old man syndrome. I'll be the first one to say that some of his banter does put a smile on my face, but also reminds me of the miserable old gits that most guys his age turn into.......Also, don't think we're immune......I bet ya all of us will be harping on nostalgic stylee when we reach Larry's ripe/grand old age.......Good on ya Larry.....ya winging ole pommie bastard ya....
:lol: :lol:

nubby
charger

Post by nubby » Tue Mar 23, 2004 1:02 pm

i dunno if ill be a bitter winger when im an old codger, but i sure as hell will be THE WORST droppin ever when im 70. ill be burnin everyone from world champs to chicks in surfschool, and doin it all with a laugh and a smile. cause really what are crew gonna do? punch a 70 yr old! and no one will be able to drop in on me cause i will be so far out on the shoulder there will be nothin to surf infront of me. yes, thats it! i plan to not be catching ANY waves of my own by the time im 65...... who said gettin old sux?

Larry
barnacle

Post by Larry » Tue Mar 23, 2004 1:07 pm

I'm refraining myself from going hard on you gentlemen,.. and if I see too many negative votes I'll just bung on a sulk and never come back.

bumbaclot
Supporter
Supporter

Post by bumbaclot » Tue Mar 23, 2004 1:14 pm

come Larry mate, don't sulk. Like most crew on hear will agree, you are a whinging ole git, but a very funny one and the banter and charater you add would be sorely missed......

buzzy
barnacle

Post by buzzy » Tue Mar 23, 2004 1:16 pm

Love Larry. Lots.

pig champion
Local

Post by pig champion » Tue Mar 23, 2004 1:48 pm

Larry wrote:I'm refraining myself from going hard on you gentlemen,.. and if I see too many negative votes I'll just bung on a sulk and never come back.
i'm interested to hear what you have to say (for a change) larry.
my heaters broke & i'm so tired ...

daltz

Post by daltz » Tue Mar 23, 2004 2:08 pm

yeah i've found them tedious, in the respect of always being a whinge or taking a shot at someone.
here's my broadside, what are you trying to protect up there anyway Larry. your reports are not specific (intentionally) its not that good anyway, and an opportunity to vent your spleen about whatever.
looking forward to a really sarcastic upbeat report tommorrow.
don't spit it and give up. whats the point of a whinge and whine if no-ones listening. at least you get a response here.

Clif
barnacle

Post by Clif » Tue Mar 23, 2004 3:20 pm

too funny, you complain about being negative yet there is all this negativity about a guy who has already claimed he is 'round the bends' ;) you thought he meant the road didn't you? i always think of his writings in terms of melancholia which is neither negative or positive but a form of reflection that demonstrates a concern for things. how about posting some of your own reviews and stories - i like larry's stuff and would like to continue reading it if some of you crew don't mind. don't chase opinions off or it will all get way too boring methinks. i am in no way defending anyone or having a go at any but would rather see MORE stories from everyone. stories about surfing and film etc are sick. can never get enough cause when i am feeling overwhelmed by all the bullshit on land it can take me away and the next morning water drips from my nose and the morning glare makes me squint. gotta be stoked with that huh?

Maladjusted
Grommet

Post by Maladjusted » Tue Mar 23, 2004 3:25 pm

I used to think the same as many of you, then realised that most of it should be taken with a large grain of salt. I see his opinions, commentary and story as:
  • a useful reminder to the kids that things weren't always this way,
    a bit of oral (well, written actually) history of how things were,
    a pisstake from an older guy on how he sees the surfing world today, and;
    good for a bit of a laugh
I think while it might sound like he is whinging a lot, he is really just taking the piss.

Onya, laz. Keep it up M8.

stuey

Post by stuey » Tue Mar 23, 2004 9:40 pm

I like the ol bastardo! Differences in opinionz are ta be encouraged. And historical perspectives o surfin in Syd are great for general knowledge. And, sledgin the ol codger oughta be encouraged. And to the fella who would take me any day over lazza. Strewth mate, ya must be mentally screwed! hehehehheehehhe So am i, by the way. As if noone knew.

chookie

Post by chookie » Tue Mar 23, 2004 9:59 pm

erm, he kinda freaks me out a bit sometimes, but realsurf needs its characters..... ;)

chookie

spotty
Local

Me 2

Post by spotty » Tue Mar 23, 2004 10:16 pm

I am a bitter & twisted old f@rt meself, so i cant complain... bring it on Lazza!

Chonie

Post by Chonie » Tue Mar 23, 2004 10:16 pm

If ya don't like his posts, here's an idea, SKIP EM!

(And thought up by a blonde... Geez Louise!)

chookie

Post by chookie » Tue Mar 23, 2004 10:18 pm

yeah didnt wanna say it myself cos i'm a blonde and you know... cant "think outside the triangle you live in" or whatever that is......

eek! ;)