Uncrowded Waves ~ lol

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

Johnno
Harry the Hat

Uncrowded Waves ~ lol

Post by Johnno » Sun Apr 23, 2006 1:53 pm

From ABC Online~~~~~ a surfer at Milner Bay, Alyangula takes advantage of the swell created by cyclone Monica, which is approaching the NT coast...........:arrow:

Seems cold up that way or is that just gift wrapping for the croc's ............... :shock: :lol:

chrisb
Owl status

Re: Uncrowded Waves ~ lol

Post by chrisb » Sun Apr 23, 2006 2:10 pm

Johnno wrote:From ABC Online~~~~~ a surfer at Milner Bay, Alyangula takes advantage of the swell created by cyclone Monica, which is approaching the NT coast...........:arrow:

Seems cold up that way or is that just gift wrapping for the croc's ............... :shock: :lol:
Anti marine stinger protection ? (wtf is Alyangula?)

macca202
Harry the Hat

Post by macca202 » Sun Apr 23, 2006 3:29 pm

i wondered if that cyclone would make some very rare spots work.
i guess not :lol:

Hawkeye
barnacle

Post by Hawkeye » Sun Apr 23, 2006 3:48 pm

Don't laugh - I sold two sets of Soar fins to a guy who lives on the very northeastern tip of the Northern Territory, on the extreme northwestern tip of the Gulf of Carpentaria.

He reckons there are a number of good reef and point breaks you can surf in the dry season up there.

Good point about the crocs, though. :x

puurri
Owl status

Post by puurri » Sun Apr 23, 2006 5:27 pm

Hawkeye wrote:Don't laugh - I sold two sets of Soar fins to a guy who lives on the very northeastern tip of the Northern Territory, on the extreme northwestern tip of the Gulf of Carpentaria.

He reckons there are a number of good reef and point breaks you can surf in the dry season up there.

Good point about the crocs, though. :x
Exactly,

Crocs are called "flatdogs" (they take away fellas). Plenty more breaks abt if you are "game". East of Cape Cobourg (Gurig Gunak Barlu) area not too bad (and "game").

macca202
Harry the Hat

Post by macca202 » Sun Apr 23, 2006 5:53 pm

do crocs actually live in the ocean up there?
or do they sometimes just stray across

Hawkeye
barnacle

Post by Hawkeye » Sun Apr 23, 2006 6:25 pm

Saltwater crocs that have been forcibly relocated have been known to swim hundreds of k's - including open ocean - back to their home grounds. :shock: Must have some sophisticated navigational software in that golf-ball sized brain of theirs.

But you could be right. Guess you'd have to speak to a local.

zzz
Supporter
Supporter

Post by zzz » Sun Apr 23, 2006 7:47 pm

they live in estuaries and will stray into the ocean up/down the beach/coastline near the river mouths they inhabit as part of their normal movements. They also use the ocean to move about up/down the coast from river to river - often a young male will need to move out of its birthplace and find another river to get away from the older males in there - they've been seen just floating about 3km's offshore off qld. I suspect in the gulf itself it wouldn't be uncommon for them to be offshore because I think its pretty shallow in there. Because there's minimal swell action, the water in nth qld and NT is often very shallow for a long way from the shore (100's of metres sometimes a lot more) and there are large belts of mangroves in the intertidal area (km's thick).

The bloke in the wetty is probably using it for stinger protection - it could be a stinger suit (like a wetty but very thin). If it is a wetty he'd be bloody hot.
"Stay happy and everything will be perfectly all right"... Jack Norris

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Mon Apr 24, 2006 10:02 am

Friends of mine at Lockhart River have seen big tracks on some offshore islands and someone they knew was up in a superlight and saw a few walking along the bottom in a conga line like lobsters a few klms offshore.

pooshkie
regular

Post by pooshkie » Mon Apr 24, 2006 10:48 am

why would you bother surfing shit like that? some people are way too keen

Longboarder
regular

!

Post by Longboarder » Mon Apr 24, 2006 12:02 pm

cause thats all he probably gets up that way, we are lucky buggars to get what we get.

BenNickson
regular

Post by BenNickson » Mon Apr 24, 2006 12:25 pm

Came back from a trip to PNG (which i assume is pretty similar to Far North Queensland in alot of respects). They told us to watch out for salt water crocs in the water because they often swim out the the continental shelf to feed. We were lucky enough not to see any but were talking to the head of surfing tourism in PNG and he said they see them around a fair bit!

punisher

Re: Uncrowded Waves ~ lol

Post by punisher » Mon Apr 24, 2006 12:40 pm

Johnno wrote:From ABC Online~~~~~ a surfer at Milner Bay, Alyangula takes advantage of the swell created by cyclone Monica, which is approaching the NT coast...........:arrow:

Hows the form on that wave.
Wish the Northern beaches would get waves of that quality.
It is actually peeling off and not closing out.