Your favourite type of break?

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

Which of these types (of break) do you prefer?

Bombora (Bommie)
6%
Reef Break
21%
Beach Break
23%
Point Break
47%
Rivermouth Break
2%

Total votes: 47

Morgan The Moon
Local

Post by Morgan The Moon » Sat Jan 17, 2004 8:48 am

Can't say I've surfed them all, but by my reckoning one point break wave is worth 5 beachies and that's how I justify waiting so long to get on a point wave (especially when folks just don't follow etiquette - that's another topic!!)
"Stay happy and everything will be just fine....." Jack Norris

Longboarder
regular

Point Breaks

Post by Longboarder » Sat Jan 17, 2004 1:56 pm

Ridden just about every kind of break, find point breaks the most enjoyable for length of ride on the log however i do enjoy the local reefs on sizeable swells and bommies are just plain scary.

whitey
regular

Post by whitey » Sat Jan 17, 2004 2:11 pm

Points are the only spot at Avoca where there aren’t many clubbies, plus all the kooks that snake you and up on the rocks with a bloody nose. To bad it only works twice a month. .Whitey.

baliboy

Post by baliboy » Mon Jan 19, 2004 10:09 am

reef

joshalohasurf

Post by joshalohasurf » Thu Mar 18, 2004 5:36 pm

points first and the runner up rivermouths.

offshore
regular

Post by offshore » Thu Mar 18, 2004 6:20 pm

Isn't a bommie a type of reef break?

nubby
charger

Post by nubby » Thu Mar 18, 2004 6:24 pm

reefs all day. followed closely by any sort of break with a wedge in it. man, now i think of it, a wedging reefbreak is my fave eh! (i only know one really!)

_cant_touch_this
Supporter
Supporter

Post by _cant_touch_this » Thu Mar 18, 2004 7:05 pm

yer im gonna have ta say beach breaks! sure reefs kick ar$e but ya cant beat a good beachie turning on some sick a-frame peaks. sure a good bank combined with swell, tide and offshores is an extremely rare event but when it happens...faaaark id take it over any reef break (with a few exceptions lol) also if a reef is crowded yar screwed (unless of course yar 6'8" with a 4' shoulder-span) whereas on a beachie ya can always find a nice little uncrowded peak.

up north at laureton (if thats how u spell it) we go ta north haven 4 a week in easter and its the longest beach iv ever seen. from the breakwall ya cant see the other end. and the only spot thats surfed is the (sick) right next ta the breakwall! now sure its a farken good wave when its on but this year im up 4 a good explore up the beach 4 sum uncroweded perfection. i cant help myself. i love ta explore. i even get stoked walking around the cliff t the next beach in hope of some nice waves! on the great ocean road this january i was surfing this point in wye river. only the sets were breaking and it was a good 20-minute wait between the 2-wave sets so after one set broke i thought 'oh yer iv got ages so i might as well have a loook round the rocks!' so i got out via the rocks, thus cutting up my feet in teh process and ran round the rocks in the vain hope that y curiosity would be rewarded! it wasnt to be.....

little off track there, sorry

hammer time

Post by hammer time » Thu Mar 18, 2004 9:18 pm

hmmm... yeh i'd have to agree with touch. the points/reefs can be sweet, but when the banks really turn it on with the juice and offshore breeze perfectly shaped up.. its almost a spiritual experience.

hammer time

Post by hammer time » Thu Mar 18, 2004 9:22 pm

and i think that was officially my last post. :cry:
you'll survive....
ive had my share of posts.

SpoNgeR_69
regular

Post by SpoNgeR_69 » Thu Mar 18, 2004 9:58 pm

points r ok, reefs r sick for barrels but i have more fun at beach breaks
cos its not as dangerous n when its big n sick u can charge harder without
as much worry about snapping your neck.... can try more air moves 2...
but the duckdiving is gay but hey
I would surf too if i couldnt bodyboard

_cant_touch_this
Supporter
Supporter

Post by _cant_touch_this » Thu Mar 18, 2004 10:39 pm

il have ta agree sponger. when i ride a lid i go hard (well at least i like ta think i do :lol: lol) and i love not having ta worry about rocks underneath me aye!

Simple Ben

Post by Simple Ben » Fri Mar 19, 2004 9:00 am

Reef breaks for sure. Be they Bombies outside or some small wave reefs they are way more fun to ride. Point come in second I guess. Beachies can be fun but I haven't ridden one for a pretty long time. I haven't ever surfed a rivermouth so I can't really judge that one.

Reefs just tend to have more power, more suck and therefore give you more speed. They usually come out of deep water so the waves are often moving a bit faster and thus break with a little more power. My favourite reefs are around the central coast, Forresters is by far my favourite place to surf, there just aren't all that many other places around where you can be out on a 7'4" and feel undergunned at times (check KK's quiver out in the whats your quiver thread, not just for Hawaii). It's the kind of place that requires alot of experience to be able to surf well when it gets big, just finding the takeoff spot can be pretty hard if you don't know what to line up with. Then you have the innevitable clean up sets and swims to deal with when you lose your board. It all adds up to a whole lot of fun. Just make sure your up for it.

When it is smaller there are a number of little reefs nearby that catch swells from various directions that offer some pretty sick, hollow waves even if they may be a little short. Beachies just don't offer that kind of power consistantly enough for my liking.

daltz

Post by daltz » Fri Mar 19, 2004 10:57 am

have to say the best surfs i've had have always been reefs, ulla bombee, potholes, sa reefs. would you call g'land and ulu's etc reef or point?

zzz
Supporter
Supporter

Post by zzz » Fri Mar 19, 2004 11:18 am

daltz wrote:have to say the best surfs i've had have always been reefs, ulla bombee, potholes, sa reefs. would you call g'land and ulu's etc reef or point?
I'd call Ulu's a reef break. Haven't been to g'land.

I think reef breaks turn on the best waves. Points often wall rather than barrel if the conditions are wrong. But at the end of the day each break is different so it really just depends on the spot. The best points often have quite a bit of reef under them coming out from the point.

On a big barrelling day I like the easy pickup on a beach break barrel and the smooth slide down the face, compared to the jacky pickup of a reef. And the comments about crowds in relation to beach vs point make sense as well in Sydney.

Reefs put alot more energy into a small wave and also put out an interesting variety of shape and sections so I guess I'd vote reef.

maddog
regular

Post by maddog » Mon Mar 22, 2004 8:08 pm

ever seen the poitn at mollymook when its big? samething with the bombie at ulla

nubby
charger

Post by nubby » Tue Mar 23, 2004 12:48 pm

are ya talkin bout golfy or kamos/crystals maddog. that golfcourse joint sucks so much arse i reckon. kamos and crystals are totaly epic but i HATE that fat puss that comes thru at golfy. ive got a good mate who i stay with down there and he just refuses to surf it. and with all the actually good spots down there its an easy rule to follow.....