rasta ... the "soul" surfer?

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

rasta ... soul surfer or media puppet?

soul surfer
25%
media puppet
75%

Total votes: 16

Snoopstah
regular

Post by Snoopstah » Thu Mar 18, 2004 11:16 am

Yeah, it is a contradiction in terms. But for the general public, seeing someone like Rasta is a nice things to watch. I took a mate to watch Blue Horizon, she had no interest in surfing until she saw Rasta. She finally got the concept we were trying to explain, the calming soothing amazing sensation of just being with the ocean and your board. We all know it and I guess it just shows to those that don't understand a little of what it is about. When all they see is Andy and Kelly winning comps.. so what. When they see someone like Rasta just surfing, it's a completely different feel and protrayal.

Anyway, that's my two cents worth. :)

Simple Ben

Post by Simple Ben » Thu Mar 18, 2004 11:23 am

Nice post snoop, that is what is all about after all isn't, riding waves. Not winning comps etc. Just getting out there and deriving pleasure from the ocean.

And steetdaddy, not every surfer dreams of getting free trips to the gold coast mate. A "soul surfer" would probably be more likely found chasing waves by themselves in some place like Morocco. Glitz and galmour are not where it's at for them. Why rag on the French guy? Just someone prepared to go a little further to get some waves to themselves. Nothing wrong with that mate.

daltz

Post by daltz » Thu Mar 18, 2004 11:23 am

such a contradiction is spot on sb.
could see margo for one had trouble coming to terms with it.
soul surfing, in true form could only really be a bunch of home videos of.........ummmm........? tooo hard for me to work out, just gonna do my thing :?

Simple Ben

Post by Simple Ben » Thu Mar 18, 2004 11:25 am

I agree with ya there daltz. This is making my head hurt. I should get back to work eventually anyway. Great example there of Margo mate.

Snoopstah
regular

Post by Snoopstah » Thu Mar 18, 2004 11:27 am

This is killing me... all I want to do now is leave my office and get out there with no crowds !!! ARrrrrgh. 6 more hours to go !!!!!

Simple Ben

Post by Simple Ben » Thu Mar 18, 2004 11:55 am

Only four hours for me but there not much around anyway. I think I will just go climbing this arvo instead. No crowds there.

Spoon
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Spoon » Thu Mar 18, 2004 12:53 pm

Is anyone really a soul surfer or is surfing just good for the soul.

thermalben
charger

Post by thermalben » Thu Mar 18, 2004 12:54 pm

buzzy wrote:What kind of "soul surfer" allows him or herself to be used to sell clothes?
Interesting topic. However, I'm not sure I've actually seen or heard Rasta label himself as a 'soul surfer'. Isn't he just doing his own thing? Living the way he wants, surfing and being stoked on life? The fact that Billabong (or the media, in whatever shape or form) have labelled him a 'soul surfer' seems to indicate a similar marketing strategy to the music industry. Give the kids something to identify with, and they'll buy it by the bucketful. I mean, how many people went out and bought 'Alice in Chains' just because it was 'grunge'?

Good to see that no-one here is belittling Rasta for the 'work' he does, as I am pretty confident there'd be very few of us who wouldn't trade shoes. Hands up the WCT and WQS surfers who'd rather be doing their own thing aswell, and getting paid gloriously for it? (seeing as everyone envies anyone else who gets 'paid' to surf, be it $100 or $100K).

I reckon he's a champion.. what a way to live a life!

Simple Ben

Post by Simple Ben » Thu Mar 18, 2004 1:00 pm

Yeah mate, no one in this thread has ever bagged out Rasta or any other surfer for that matter. The guy rips and kudos to him for being able to make a living out of something he loves. It is just the marketing strategy used by the big companies that gets a little annoying. You can't market soul. Or I guess they have but then it isn't soul anymore is it.

"Is anyone really a soul surfer or is surfing just good for the soul."

Nice one Spoon.

Spoon
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Spoon » Thu Mar 18, 2004 1:06 pm

Cheers Ben!
Al this is gold. "She didn't realise I was fairly high and spent much of the evening trying to figure out why a purple and orange cow wanted me to climb a tree."

streetdaddy
Local

Post by streetdaddy » Thu Mar 18, 2004 2:38 pm

Simple Ben wrote:Nice post snoop, that is what is all about after all isn't, riding waves. Not winning comps etc. Just getting out there and deriving pleasure from the ocean.

And steetdaddy, not every surfer dreams of getting free trips to the gold coast mate. A "soul surfer" would probably be more likely found chasing waves by themselves in some place like Morocco. Glitz and galmour are not where it's at for them. Why rag on the French guy? Just someone prepared to go a little further to get some waves to themselves. Nothing wrong with that mate.
Cmon, I work 40 hours a week so I can afford my boards, wetties and regular sojourns! I'm sure the guy who goes to Morocco has to work his arse off to save the money for the airfare + plus spending money and/or having to work while he's over there looking for waves. You don't think he'd rather go over there for free, or better yet, get paid to go over there?

Or how about a lucky heir to a massive fortune made by one of those evil companies? He has an endless supply of cash so he goes surfing wherever and whenever he wants, stays in a resort on the beach with room service and if he wants to surf anywhere other than the resort break he cruises down the coast in a converted bus with airconditioning and a big screen TV. But hey, he's just surfing coz he loves it, its not his fault that he's born rich, he's as sooooul as they come...

As for the french guy, you'd have to wonder what influenced his decisions to do what he did!

nubby
charger

Post by nubby » Thu Mar 18, 2004 3:18 pm

Squid wrote:I'd like to have a good look at tom curren's surfin, what are tha best videos to see?

the vid SEARCHING FOR TOM CURREN is where its at when it comes to curren squid. its just so good. curren was at the top of his game at this time. i wonder if they have re-released it on DVD cause my VHS copy is basicaly blu tack after 10 years on slo-mo and freeze frame!

and as for rasta? he is a media whore plain and simple. dont get me wrong, if i was in his possie i would also spred me legs WIDE, but he actualy seems to believe his own marketing speel, which is a good way to f@#k right up when you are a commodity. and mate i reckon AI comes out of that movie with more 'soul'(whatever that is?) cause he is honestly doin what he wants and is real f@#ked off if he dont get it and doesnt give a sh#t what anyone else thinks, instead of skipping round in 'everyone-loves-me-land' like rasta. and crew have pointed out the whole board smashing thing as proof he is a dick. mate ive seen slater at northy smash a board into the wall of the dunnies, ive heard occy onced buried a whole quiver in france when he lost, ive seen herro smash boards, and ive heard of powelly, curren, pottz, sunny, dorian and cambo doin it too. they all get boards for nix and its better smashin a board that your fist into a wall.

Simple Ben

Post by Simple Ben » Thu Mar 18, 2004 3:24 pm

I guess I have to agree with most of that streetdaddy. But like what daltz was saying about Margo, about how reckoned he felt uneasy about making money from his surfing, or at least about seeing himself be promoted in such a way. I guess there are some people who think that surfing is a very selfish pursuit, which it is, and feel they need to contribute to societey in one way or the other to make up for that.

As to the French guy, who knows, most of them are mad buggers. Imagine what living on an island by yourself for an extended period of time would do to you. Still, he wwas probably getting more barrels there in a day than we get there in a few months.

nubby
charger

Post by nubby » Thu Mar 18, 2004 3:31 pm

Simple Ben wrote: he was probably getting more barrels there in a day than we get there in a few months.
more like a few years ben.........if its a real good spot go for 2 tubes on average every wave(sometimes 1 sometimes 3 or 4), 40 waves a sesh, three sessions a day, and you come to the grand total of 240 pits A DAY!!!!! i reckon thats way past most people yearly quota.........

Simple Ben

Post by Simple Ben » Thu Mar 18, 2004 3:36 pm

Nice maths there Nubs, I wouldn't mind being able to match those stats. Got me thinking though, I wonder what the record for the most pits in a day is, and where it was done. Theres a good trivia question for you.

daltz

Post by daltz » Thu Mar 18, 2004 3:51 pm

the frenchy, what a freakin legend. probably not his first island either. hats off to that dude. i thought paddling out to an island off jervis was a bit different. i got nothin

nubby
charger

Post by nubby » Thu Mar 18, 2004 3:54 pm

i reckon jim banks or peter crawford surfin desert point in the 80's would have to be up near the top of most barrels ever in day......f@#k, ive got some home video of me and a mate in indo goin well over the 300 bazza mark combined in 3 surfs, but they were over 2 days........