Double Island Point

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

sean--
barnacle

Double Island Point

Post by sean-- » Tue Mar 21, 2006 10:44 pm

Took the tribe to Queensland for a holiday went to Fraser Island , Steve Irwins Zoo and all the other touristy things . Left the board at home because we flew up . One day we did a 4WD tour out to Double Island Point and even though it was pretty small its an unreal setup so I was wondering if anyone here has surfed it. Its a mission getting there as well.

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Tue Mar 21, 2006 10:52 pm

It was supposed to be firing in the last cyclone.
It needs heaps of swell to work.
A friend saw it working at 8' years ago.
It remains one of my ambitions to get it working one day.

sean--
barnacle

Post by sean-- » Tue Mar 21, 2006 11:06 pm

I would imagine if it was firing and linking up from start to finish it would be at least 500 metres or maybe even longer.

SDC
regular

Post by SDC » Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:02 am

DI on the northern side is a bit like the old Kirra when working as there's a heap of sand up there, but if you duck around the corner on the southern side, you'll almost certainly get some waves, if it's 2 feet on the Sunny Coast you'll score 4 feet at DI. A bit deserted, and great for a camping trip. The most direct route there is up the beach from Tewantin about 80kms, Last trip there, one of the crew saw a noah up there though, and made the line up empty.

Local

Post by 2260 » Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:31 am

Surfed it back about 4 years ago now, swell running was about 4ft maybe bigger. I think it needed more swell as it was just only linking up all the way to the beach then. Perfect clear water and nice hollow wave as the tide ran out. Not overly fast. I have heard reports of the tax men up there aswell, but when your surfing with two others in almost perfect conditions, its the gamble you take. Great fishing.

ether
regular

Post by ether » Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:36 am

Used to spend a lot of time up there and the northern side can definitely turn on a quality wave. Just like all the QLD points it gets a nasty rip when there's a swell on but it's a pretty easy run back along the sand to have another go.

I always wondered if it was the wave featured in the Endless Summer II when Nat Young was showing young beavis & butthead some great times Aussie style. I think they referred to it as 'the world's smallest wave'; it was running at about 6" that day. Certainly looked very similar....anyone know?

ether
regular

Post by ether » Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:17 am

Rockin' Ron wrote:I'm hearing that the locals stand at the rock off point and wait for a set to appear, jump out and catch one then repeat the procedure...cause there are that many noahs they won't sit in the water... :shock: :shock:
Sounds like a typical scare campaign to me. Next they'll be re-naming the break 'boneyards' or 'suicides' or something.

Maybe I was just very fortunate, but I spent a lot of time there and never saw a shark.

Local

Post by 2260 » Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:54 am

I think that wave was a sandbank further up the beach from memory, anyone else know?

chrisb
Owl status

Post by chrisb » Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:05 pm

There's plenty of noahs out there. Good fishing = plenty of sharks. It's just a natural progression with the food chain.

Back in the early '90's a local told me that he would surf with a group of about 6 mates up there. One would keep a lookout from a high vantage point on shore and call them out if the sharks got too close. I emphasize if the sharks got too close, not if he saw sharks.

In the late '80's there was a 4WD hire place at Noosa with photos on the wall of wrecked 4WD's that got caught by the tides when rounding DI Point. The drivers would catch their car on rocks and couldn't move. So they would simply close the doors and windows and wait for the tide to come in and smash their vehicle on the rocks as it bobbed around in the water just like a cork. That's why the car hire places charged $2,000 excess.

Fortunately 20 years of sand deposits have filled up those rocky outcrops and made 4WD movements easier and improved the surf quality.

"Ether" - your'e right. That wave is in the ES2 with Nat terrorising his guests in the world's smallest wave. It's also the same beach where he tows them behind his car while hooning around.

sean--
barnacle

Post by sean-- » Wed Mar 22, 2006 7:29 pm

I spoke with a few guys there and they reckon there are sharks but no-one has been attacked there. There is no way I would surf it alone though. The fishing is another drawcard and very good from what I was told.