Whatever happened to Russell Lewis (aka Mumbles)?

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

gonzoman

Where is Mumbles aka Russel Lewis.

Post by gonzoman » Sun Feb 25, 2007 3:45 pm

Russel is on the Gold Coast right now staying with a fellow ex-D.Y.an Ben.. he is actually standing right beside me..well he was I think he's gone for a cuppa.... i'm trying to get him to shape me a board before he returns to the Islands. He is coaching and shaping over there and from all reports he is in big demand. I have a blank and a fully equiped shaping bay and am just waiting for Russ to get inspired in between his weekly tea enemas. Here's hoping.
He goes back to the islands early March I think.
In my opinion Mumbles aka Russel Lewis is one of the finest surf coaches in the world, he also shapes a damn good board and still rips as well as being one of the nicest humans you could meet for a D.Y.an. He is also turning 50 in march...Happy Birthday Russ. :D Now will you shape me that board?
Pete.

surfin39
charger

Post by surfin39 » Mon Feb 26, 2007 7:22 am

I rode Cut Loose boards from about '81 till when Russell went north, some were the HB/Cut Loose, but the ones shaped in the back yard shed were the best, I'd love to see what RL is shaping now 'cause he was very good back then.
He used to destroy DY point and was a big influence on me when I was a grom.

botters

Post by botters » Mon Feb 26, 2007 12:13 pm

In the distant past, when I were a grom and DY Point was firing, I used to stand in dumbstruck awe at the edge of the pool watching Russell shred well overhead waves. He'd always take off deeper than anyone else and in the middle of the face, just where most people would start looking for the shoulder, he'd plant his back foot on the tail and jam a HUGE roundhouse cutty back into the pocket. All this on a single fin! I never saw him fall or look anything other than in complete control. No one else has surfed DYP like him since. Legendary stuff :lol:

surfin39
charger

Post by surfin39 » Mon Feb 26, 2007 2:54 pm

Just for the memories....

It's hard to see because of the angle but that's a Cut Loose logo