The Bastardos Food File

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

Larry
barnacle

The Bastardos Food File

Post by Larry » Tue Feb 21, 2006 9:56 am

The key to the tank loaf is to get it hot from the bakery, rip the end off it and gouge out all that warm doughy white bread grom fuel in a surf starved frenzy while waiting for the chips next door. Then large, salty, BBQ sauce drenched hot chips are stuffed in hollow loaf and groms walk back down beach to graze at leisure on a perfect blend of carbos, fat, salt and BBQ sauce.

NB: this feed is only appropriate as second breakfast, between dawn patrol and second surf of the morning. Exceptions are when freezing southerly blowing and groms have to huddle in (Bastardos)

All entries are welcome

Squidlips
barnacle

Post by Squidlips » Tue Feb 21, 2006 12:26 pm

you fat b@stard. :lol: :wink:

snakes
barnacle

Post by snakes » Tue Feb 21, 2006 2:16 pm

Pre Surf : 2 Bananas + 2 Up n Go's (if the surf is extra large or a longer session is planned then 3 Up n Go's

Post Surf : 2 x Hamburger with the lot + Gatorade + water

snakes

Johnno
Harry the Hat

Post by Johnno » Tue Feb 21, 2006 3:26 pm

Few freshly pick mushrooms, fried in butter ..................... :shock:

After that you wouldn't know what time of day it is.................. :lol:

barstardos
charger

Post by barstardos » Tue Feb 21, 2006 3:31 pm

my surfing diet has changed a little in the 25 years since since my grommethood (above)
Pre-surf brekky used to be 10-14 weetbix, now I just have a berocca and paddle out. (berrocca in the morning is like a sports drink with vitamins)
Post surf brekky used to be the tank loaf above, now its more likeley a fruit smoothy and some toast.
I kind of miss being able to eat like grom.

Shaunm
Snowy McAllister

Re: The Bastardos Food File

Post by Shaunm » Tue Feb 21, 2006 3:58 pm

Larry wrote:The key to the tank loaf is to get it hot from the bakery, rip the end off it and gouge out all that warm doughy white bread grom fuel in a surf starved frenzy while waiting for the chips next door. Then large, salty, BBQ sauce drenched hot chips are stuffed in hollow loaf and groms walk back down beach to graze at leisure on a perfect blend of carbos, fat, salt and BBQ sauce.

NB: this feed is only appropriate as second breakfast, between dawn patrol and second surf of the morning. Exceptions are when freezing southerly blowing and groms have to huddle in (Bastardos)

All entries are welcome
Eat up all your cholestrol then go work on them melonomas :wink:
Me Creatin drink before, can of coke & hotdog in between 1st & 2nd session Pub counter late lunch after
Never confuse ambition with ability

dammit__01
Owl status

Post by dammit__01 » Tue Feb 21, 2006 4:15 pm

brekky yogo's nd sum maccas

lunch chicken burger from that dy shop, pizza from kebab shop in corso and subway from warriewood shopping centre depends what beach im at

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Tue Feb 21, 2006 5:56 pm

December. Half a litre of water and a cup of coffee at 3am. Drive north out of San Clemente, CA for five hours, very fast up the freeway, another cup of coffee and a doughnut at the gas station in Ventura. Turn off toward Montana de Oro national park, park in bushes, 4x3 wettie, run down dew-soaked track. Surf excellent heavy coldwater reefbreak for several hours, eight feet, three others out. Get out, walk back up track, drive slowly to nearby village. Three eggs, bacon, sausage, pancakes, more coffee. Drive south and get to Rincon for the arvo session.

Johnno
Harry the Hat

Post by Johnno » Tue Feb 21, 2006 6:22 pm

Good to see you are on a health kick there Nick .................... :wink: :lol:

dammit__01
Owl status

Post by dammit__01 » Tue Feb 21, 2006 6:24 pm

Nick Carroll wrote:December. Half a litre of water and a cup of coffee at 3am. Drive north out of San Clemente, CA for five hours, very fast up the freeway, another cup of coffee and a doughnut at the gas station in Ventura. Turn off toward Montana de Oro national park, park in bushes, 4x3 wettie, run down dew-soaked track. Surf excellent heavy coldwater reefbreak for several hours, eight feet, three others out. Get out, walk back up track, drive slowly to nearby village. Three eggs, bacon, sausage, pancakes, more coffee. Drive south and get to Rincon for the arvo session.
what if its the wrong type of swell?

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Wed Feb 22, 2006 10:38 am

dammit__01 wrote:what if its the wrong type of swell?
well in that case, sunshine, you don't f**ken go.

Lucky Al
Duke Status

Post by Lucky Al » Wed Feb 22, 2006 11:02 am

there's little town north of wollongong called coalcliff, real little town stuck between mountains and the sea, got lawrence hargreave drive going through it maybe two other streets and that's it. it's real little, and real pretty. i was a kid and lived few towns south of coalcliff but knew it well because of the blue dolphin cafe, which stood on the sea side of the highway at the top of a slope leading down to the beach, and every time we went past on way to dad's uncle's in stanwell park or surfing in stanwell park or garie we stopped at the blue dolphin cafe for the enormous lentil burgers on multigrain buns made right there bigger than my head with entire vegetable garden for a salad and blue dolphin's own chutney a bucket-size dollop on top of the lentil patty so big it shoulda called boompotty not patty. maybe i've never enjoyed any meal as much as i enjoyed those lentil burgers at the blue dolphin cafe.

scot
regular

Post by scot » Wed Feb 22, 2006 11:20 am

Lucky Al wrote:there's little town north of wollongong called coalcliff, ... blue dolphin cafe.
They did the best banana smoothies as well to wash em down

always a fav post surf feed :D

barstardos
charger

Post by barstardos » Wed Feb 22, 2006 1:10 pm

The only rival to the Coalcliff blue Dolphin was the Rainbow Cafe (i think thats what it was called) at Stanwell.
Teriyaki Burger was epic. Havent been there for years.

There is nothing near as good on the Northern beaches now.

nthnbeachesguy
Local
Location: Sydney, where??? dont take a rocket scientist to figure that out!

Post by nthnbeachesguy » Wed Feb 22, 2006 2:32 pm

Chicken lover and a chocolate brownie from eat it at paulies in newport, cant get enough of em.

Spoon
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Spoon » Wed Feb 22, 2006 3:37 pm

If we are looking back there used to be the Big T roadhouse near Catherine Hill Bay that used to do a great Brekky after the early when you could camp anywhere up near the north end.
Al this is gold. "She didn't realise I was fairly high and spent much of the evening trying to figure out why a purple and orange cow wanted me to climb a tree."

gman
Grommet

Post by gman » Wed Feb 22, 2006 4:21 pm

1 or 2 pieces of fruit in car on the way.

Glass of warm water or herbal tea.

Chanting "om mani padme hum" until first wave.

After surfing, tofu or vegetables or more fruit, more water.

For a treat I might have a carob covered licorice stick. :D

Just a thought, are there many other surfers up with Buddha?

Lucky Al
Duke Status

Post by Lucky Al » Wed Feb 22, 2006 9:47 pm

'Pupusa is a rounded corn-meal dough usually stuffed with meat, beans or cheese, topped with tomato sauce, and served with curtido - sliced cabbage marinated in vinegar. It is an unwritten rule that Salvadoran men talk about pupusas, but only women make them. The discussion, with its overlay of Latin fatalism and mother-love, is similar to the discourse around chili con carne. Instead of "My chili is the best in the world, and everyone else's is unfit for donkeys," in El Salvador we hear something like, "My mother's pupusas are the best in the world, but these will have to do for today."'