Surfer's Ear

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

LordBoard

Post by LordBoard » Mon Oct 20, 2008 7:50 pm

I spoke too soon!

I went surfing on Saturday arvo and got dumped by a small but viscious shorebreak, felt quite a pain in my right blu-tac'd ear while under the greater part of the turbulence. Almost like feeling cold water wizz through, past the blu-tac.

2 Days later I'm at the docs getting antifungal/biotic treatments for otitis externa. He also said my perforated ear drum is still there down the bottom and above it the ear drum looked red but was otherwise intact. My hearing is somewhat blocked now, I don't know what to do to prevent swimmers ear in the future. My healthy left ear is fine. Perhaps I didn't put enough blu-tac into the ear canal and around? ..mebe docs plugs would be better. I'm going to an ENT to look at getting a custom mold done but otherwise I'm worried once more that they will fall out during a session or water pressure will squeeze its way through. :(

munch
Harry the Hat

Post by munch » Mon Oct 20, 2008 10:39 pm

I blew my ear drum last year :arrow: flue + sub + torp don't mix :( and then got an ear infection surfing with it

What I did to surf was fill my ear up with ***** ( can't remember the name, moson, toson ... ah just found it vosol, definitely not aqua ear, which felt like someone stabbed you in the ear) then plug it with blue tac, worked a treat ;)

I also got an effect, that I had after I'd got my ears reamed, which was like listening to a blown speaker around any loud noises but it was my ear doing it :arrow: lasted about two months, both times

and use lots of blue tac :!: ( and I think the mixing of suncream on my ears with the blue tac makes it stickier)
If it's well engineered it's beautiful .

heefcoate
Local

Post by heefcoate » Mon Oct 20, 2008 10:51 pm

LordBoard wrote:I spoke too soon!

I went surfing on Saturday arvo and got dumped by a small but viscious shorebreak, felt quite a pain in my right blu-tac'd ear while under the greater part of the turbulence. Almost like feeling cold water wizz through, past the blu-tac.

2 Days later I'm at the docs getting antifungal/biotic treatments for otitis externa. He also said my perforated ear drum is still there down the bottom and above it the ear drum looked red but was otherwise intact. My hearing is somewhat blocked now, I don't know what to do to prevent swimmers ear in the future. My healthy left ear is fine. Perhaps I didn't put enough blu-tac into the ear canal and around? ..mebe docs plugs would be better. I'm going to an ENT to look at getting a custom mold done but otherwise I'm worried once more that they will fall out during a session or water pressure will squeeze its way through. :(

Have a look at this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cholesteatoma

this is what happened to me, my ear infection never healed untill was opp'd on

LordBoard

Post by LordBoard » Mon Oct 27, 2008 11:29 am

re: Munch

wouldn't suncream act as an oil or lubricating slippery surface, thus making the blu-tac less sticky, effectively hightening the chances for it to slip out. Blu-tac is cheaper than chips, i don't mind getting a fresh one each time I go out.

Bad advice for me mate & others with perforated ear drums - // VOSOL //

* Warning *
- Punctured ear drum—Using otic corticosteroids when you have a punctured ear drum may damage the ear

munch
Harry the Hat

Post by munch » Mon Oct 27, 2008 6:07 pm

^^^ your probably right about the vosol :arrow: I'll never do it again :roll:

re blue tac it's an oil based substance and so is sun screen ;) like dissolves like and the like is my best guess, it might even be my ear wax ... :?
If it's well engineered it's beautiful .

Chong
regular

Post by Chong » Mon Oct 27, 2008 9:04 pm

Have a look at this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cholesteatoma

this is what happened to me, my ear infection never healed untill was opp'd on
Heefecoate that is farking horrible.

LordBoard

Post by LordBoard » Tue Oct 28, 2008 10:09 am

the good news is it looks like a genetic trait, just like some people get moles and some freckles and some both.

The link suggests it can be acquired or you may have the disease from birth. Further argument weather its tumor or not (radically mutating cells). Once again its genetic trait so you'll either get it or you won't. Just like I got hypertrophic scaring on my hip and elbows but not on my face, legs or shoulders. Where as Darker skinned people are more likely to Hypertrophic or Keloid scar on their face and upper body.

Yeah that Cholesteatoma looks nasty, ripples through the ear drum (kind of like the sea).