wannasurf?

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

bringbackmacca
regular

wannasurf?

Post by bringbackmacca » Sun Feb 05, 2006 9:38 pm

this site sickens me.. today at a secret newy reef several standups paddled out all talking about how sick the pictures where of this spot on wannasurf.. surf enough i check the site and some kook has posted the spot and how to get there!
is any1 else sick of this site?

maxi
charger

Post by maxi » Sun Feb 05, 2006 9:51 pm

Obviously not the guys who paddled out this morning.

sean--
barnacle

Post by sean-- » Sun Feb 05, 2006 10:02 pm

Next time you look at this site click on the comments and read some of the sprays from disgruntled locals. Cant blame em.
There are a few places not listed but overall they dont miss much.

Bear
barnacle

Post by Bear » Sun Feb 05, 2006 10:14 pm

I agree with you...
but to further the discussion CAUSE I THINK NO ONE WILL say they like it, let me play devils advocate-

Why should it be kept secret? What right do you have over the wave that means just you and your mates should surf it? Surfing is just for fun, shouldnt everyone be allowed to enjoy waves even if they are somewhat secret? Are there many secret spots left in Suburban areas?
What makes a secret spot?

Those are some questions people would pose against you. I dont mind the site if it is waves that are famous eg Bondi, Bronte Maroubra(if we are talking city side) But when it starts revealing more secret waves I agree it sucks balls!!!

My one or two waves i know which are pseudo secret are just awesome. Nothing better than seeing packed beaches, going to the secret spot and seeing great waves with no one on em! Thats what im hoping for in this south swell this week!!! But what can you do to stop the website?
Bear

bringbackmacca
regular

Post by bringbackmacca » Sun Feb 05, 2006 10:22 pm

i agree but mabey if 1 guy paddled out but it just gets annoying when like 4 paddle all with no respect for any1 else out which were 2 other guys on a 4 ft right and these guys looked easily in there 20's so when we asked them to stop snaking us they laughed.

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Sun Feb 05, 2006 10:40 pm

I reckon the comments on wannasurf make realsurf forum look like shakespeare. Most of the grommits who rant on the site make no sense and post rubbish about places they may have visited once on school holidays with mum and dad. Half the pictures are of the wrong place anyway :lol: :lol:

Some of the international stuff is interesting though on occasion and I'll take advantage of any tip offs posted by those who should know better :P

Really a lot of places you might like to surf once or twice when your travelling remain just that. If the waves are easy to get to and not dangerous or inconsistent they're probably not a secret anymore anyway. :?

willie
barnacle

Re: wannasurf?

Post by willie » Sun Feb 05, 2006 10:44 pm

bringbackmacca wrote:this site sickens me.. today at a secret newy reef several standups paddled out all talking about how sick the pictures where of this spot on wannasurf.. surf enough i check the site and some kook has posted the spot and how to get there!
is any1 else sick of this site?
wow a secret reef at newy... thanks for telling me and every other person to visit this website just to go to wannasurf n check it out...
you're not helping the situation of keeping the location secret by telling everyone and spreading the word on how to find it :roll:

macca202
Harry the Hat

Post by macca202 » Mon Feb 06, 2006 1:40 am

some people are stupid

Johnno
Harry the Hat

Post by Johnno » Mon Feb 06, 2006 11:12 am

Rockin' Ron wrote: Beaners, old fruit, is bang on. The rise of the booger population and the age of the internet are together not helping but all up there are no secrets and there hasn't been for more than twenty years. If it's accessible by foot or by road then it's well known.

Still a few around ..................... :wink:

Also a lot of the spots mentioned may only work one or two times a year, but it gives the impression that it's just a case of turning up and it will be happening.

One mentioned hasn't worked for 18 months. :evil:

Hound
Grommet

Post by Hound » Mon Feb 06, 2006 12:18 pm

I agree with bear on this, sitting right on the fence. Yes, i use wannasurf, mainly for when I travel places, and typically it's pretty good, if taken with a pince of salt, I mean how many of the spots have you seen where the wave quality is shown as 'world class' or 'in top ten', that's such a joke, how are these things moderated, surely the guys running it have some idea, but maybe not now, maybe it's just run by IT folk that want to make money. You must check out the spot of Porlock Wier in the UK, for all the time I spent there, and talking to mates I know this is complete rat$hit, but the comments are gold!!!

Johnno's right, it is annoying when semi secret spots pop u on here, but the best thing about secret spots is that they don't work on your everyday swell, and everyday wind etc. that only comes from knowing the place, so yeah, generally with the ever increasing number of surfers out there, the days of 'your' secret spot remaining that way are numbered, whether with this site or not. sorry.

PS. There's a rumour of a wave near me in sydney, on long beach, hard to get to, and semi-secret, don't mean to give it away but there's some markings of ancient rock paintings saying 'QBC', keep it hush hush tho!

chrisb
Owl status

Post by chrisb » Mon Feb 06, 2006 12:22 pm

Some directions are mischievious on "wannasurf" eg. Shipstern Bluff directions mention the Arthur River which is in the northwest of the state.

wavemagnet
regular

Post by wavemagnet » Mon Feb 06, 2006 1:33 pm

Damn, I thought wannasurf was a 'secret site'...

mad
charger

Post by mad » Mon Feb 06, 2006 1:36 pm

Wanna surf is a reflection of modern surf culture. Remove commonsense and respect and replace with ego and capitalism. Even when Nat Young and mark Warren pushed their respective Atlas', some respect was given to exposing spots (depending on whose asking :cry: ).

Without a word of a lie I see moron tourists pull up at my break and phone/text their mates that it's on. I've quizzed them (non-agro style) and they say it's a network gig they've got going with their mates, and if you try to pull one over them, your off the team. Other than that it's just a trophy claim and exposure is the name of the game, puts another notch in the belt. Sorry folks but the prone mob seem to take the cake for these offences.

As Johnno and others have said they're are ways of beating the crowds, but even they are decreasing with the onset of swell mapping, weather and surf forecasts. I mean you can take a virtual tour of any coastline from your desktop with Google.

Bear
barnacle

Post by Bear » Mon Feb 06, 2006 2:17 pm

What people might do is start making custom google maps of breaks. You can download sort of custom tours using google earth SHOWING ALL SECRET BREAKS. As much as I wanna keep secret spots empty it would be cool just cruising up the coast with my laptop and just seeing where all the awesome breaks are on the comp and then checking them out...

But in a world with internet nothing can be really be done to keep things secret... :cry:

sean--
barnacle

Post by sean-- » Mon Feb 06, 2006 2:39 pm

If you want to get a good handle on reefs and beaches go and buy an admiralty chart from a marina or chandlery and go from there. On these charts you get to see all areas , what direction they face, bommies and water depths. Learn to use one of these and find it for yourself. Wannasurf do have a lot of breaks listed but not all of them.

mad
charger

Post by mad » Mon Feb 06, 2006 2:44 pm

But in a world with internet nothing can be really be done to keep things secret...
True enough. it's not going to ease up either. Who knows, in years to come you might be able to tap into remote operated sattelite camera and pull up your own personal surf check of wherever the farg you want, whenever you want.

Local

Post by 2260 » Mon Feb 06, 2006 5:39 pm

Imagine being asked "Can you please stop snaking me?"
You dont ask that sort of question, you use body language. You snake back, call your waves. Any collisions occur, that is when you sort it out.
i would laugh a little if i had someone ask me to stop snaking them. My reply would usually consist of a few profanities and reasons such as position, and pulling off every wave. But then i would give them a few chances, if then they continue to do it, i continue.

If you act passive and let them pass you once, they will do it all day, if u act aggresively and paddle with them, staying on the inside they will know that your not a pushover and share the waves - most of the time.

Freshie Boy
regular

Post by Freshie Boy » Mon Feb 06, 2006 6:06 pm

principal skinner wrote:If you want to get a good handle on reefs and beaches go and buy an admiralty chart from a marina or chandlery and go from there. On these charts you get to see all areas , what direction they face, bommies and water depths. Learn to use one of these and find it for yourself. Wannasurf do have a lot of breaks listed but not all of them.
been doin that for the last 5 years, works a gem.

Wannasurf is yeh a bit frustrating to those who have a pet secret spot.

i wonder what newy reef it was, if he reckons the cowrie hole is secret he's joking, plenty of sick reefs there, one reef up there i know (like johno) hasnt worked since easter last year, but i'll be there when its on.

its mainly boogers finding good waves that they cant keep to themselves, and as for those texting fools they can get f*****, u find it and you surf it dont let the whole world know.

remember when surfing used to be a personal experience, now you can share it with 100's of the prats (if ur in the city)

sometimes its just luck finding a nice spot relatively untouched (usually not by a nice tarred road either) and those who find them should be rewarded so.

but in this age of the internet i guess nothing is sacred.