Whats up with the surf mags???

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

lostman
charger

Whats up with the surf mags???

Post by lostman » Tue Jan 31, 2006 4:31 pm

Last edited by lostman on Thu Feb 04, 2016 6:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
andy2476 wrote:my regular cafes have specialty barristas.

macca202
Harry the Hat

Re: Whats up with the surf mags???

Post by macca202 » Tue Jan 31, 2006 4:39 pm

yeah, whats the mag this months which came with the movie "passion pop"? i noticed it today for $10, but i already have the dvd. it wasn't tracks, it was... not sure
lostman wrote:Is there all ready such an online mag??
there's a bodyboarding online mag...

lostman
charger

Post by lostman » Tue Jan 31, 2006 4:47 pm

It was stab, which got me writing because the effing thing don't work and I just spent 15 minutes reading the mag cover to cover..
andy2476 wrote:my regular cafes have specialty barristas.

Clif
barnacle

Post by Clif » Tue Jan 31, 2006 5:40 pm

the mag 'DEEP' had a go. but no-one bought it cept me :cry:

kookabazza

Post by kookabazza » Tue Jan 31, 2006 5:45 pm

i got a subsrciption to tracks... last month there was an oniel dvd, got home frothing to watch it on the couch and the fucking thing was empty!

that says it all

tootr
Duke Status

Post by tootr » Tue Jan 31, 2006 5:55 pm

the venerable old 'surfing world' is still plugging away producing good stuff for the non 'sick bro' reader.

FishStick
Local

Post by FishStick » Tue Jan 31, 2006 6:36 pm

Yep I only buy Tracks when they have a good pressie with it, ie a DVD, or a tide chart or something.

I haven't read a Tracks mag from cover to cover for ages as the stuff is just so boring.

I remember that last year they kept going on about that boat trip they had to Fiji with Fanning the Irons, Emmerton, O'brien, Koby etc. etc. you know the one where Fanning gets his c0ck out in one of the photos. I swear they used the story of that boat trip over 4 editions just to fill the pages.

Also that and their loving relationship with Koby and the bra boys.
Last edited by FishStick on Tue Mar 28, 2006 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Tue Jan 31, 2006 7:19 pm

Lostman, too true and Tracks and one of the other surf magazines in Australia are both owned by EMAP, probably one of the biggest magazine publishers in the word.

You should see one of the trashy magazines they publish about cars in England :shock: some British girls :?

Pretty easy solution really, don’t buy them and they may get the message! Or hammer their forum with complaints.

I, like others, tend to buy Tracks when there is a DVD. Figure it is worth it for that alone.

freefilms
regular

Post by freefilms » Tue Jan 31, 2006 7:31 pm

lostman: yep mate it's a sad situation with the mags in oz, sw excepted.

three words for you - the surfer's journal. well worth the price of admission.

i now forfeit every other mag & put my money towards a journal description each year. never looked back.

Lucky Al
Duke Status

Post by Lucky Al » Tue Jan 31, 2006 7:55 pm

Were older surfers satisfied with Tracks in the 1970s and 1980s?

vb
Local

Post by vb » Tue Jan 31, 2006 8:50 pm

Don't think it's just surfing mags but mags in general ... I mean, why bother when you've got the web. Fcuk, do I hate 12 glossy pages of pouting models in the "latest' gear or pix of bloody pork chops and pretty garnishings on plates, latest gadgets, some dickhead's opinion of films, computer games etc and try-hard captions

collnarra

Post by collnarra » Tue Jan 31, 2006 9:11 pm

freefilms wrote:lostman: yep mate it's a sad situation with the mags in oz, sw excepted.

three words for you - the surfer's journal. well worth the price of admission.

i now forfeit every other mag & put my money towards a journal description each year. never looked back.
I subscribe to the journal, and generally it's worth the money - apart from its complete obsession with california as the mother womb of the surf universe; the stories where they crap on about how good it was in 1959; and the stories about some idiot who builds boats in maine to go surfing at some z-grade place no-one cares about.

but I am willing to put up with those things because generally the mag is good, and doesn't speak down to its readers... I just wish there were more Australian stories in it.

bookster
barnacle

Post by bookster » Tue Jan 31, 2006 9:46 pm

Lucky Al wrote:Were older surfers satisfied with Tracks in the 1970s and 1980s?
I know I was. Articles that required serious sit down time to read, whether an interview with a pro/shaper/travelling surfer that was in depth, not the smash hits/girlfriend magazine "interviews" that seem prevalent today. Humourous pieces of fiction - Lash Clone, anyone?

Travel stories that were more than "company x puts put the boyz on a boat"... Nick Carrolls multipage (of TEXT) stories from Hawaii each year were a highlight for me.

Seems that a lot of the editorial staff these days are caught in the whole "we're a surfing mag, but really we're looking more like RALPH/FHM" -wannabe c grade celebrities :roll:

Does the airhead content of today's mags reflect the short attention span of their readership?

DISCLAIMER- I'm sure you can dig up some good journalistic stuff somewhere in there- but you have to shovel a lot of shit outta the way...

fong

Post by fong » Tue Jan 31, 2006 9:48 pm

collnarra wrote: I just wish there were more Australian stories in it.
soooo why don't u submit something :idea:

i think the web will have a HUGE impact on surf mags in years to come.

i mean where else could u get the mix of people bouncin and cursin and learnin off each other as u find in these forums...and i'm sure many others :lol:

u know u can wait till the end of the month and read about stuff....or read about now and have a say in it :idea:

anycase....i'll check out the journal :wink: ....have enjoyed pacific longboarder ( had a major fish feature 8) ) and subscribe to tracks :shock: loyaltys not a crime :wink:

p.s nice point vb :shock: i don't so much mine the girl models but when they get a gang of male top 44 together with makeup on looking tough :shock: ehhhh they no where that product can gooo...and they very lucky tracks no longer works ( so well :wink: ) as toilet paper :arrow: :idea: of course theres always the bottom of the bird cage :lol:

tootr
Duke Status

Post by tootr » Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:04 pm

Lucky Al wrote:Were older surfers satisfied with Tracks in the 1970s and 1980s?
damn straight...

from the hilarous stories of games of 'animal noise thumper' in hawaii, the hot buttered kombi spitting gearbox cogs all over the hume highway, insightful in depth articles on board design, how to be an A grade 'gentleman' drinker :wink: , travel with a bit of roughing it, adventure and soul, captain goodvibes, dr. geoff, taking the piss out of everybody, with no arse kissing of the 'stars', dry senses of humour, and most importantly none of this 'gangsta rap', dumb tattoo, 'fully sick' shite.......

and even the ads were OK too!

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:41 pm

merkin wrote:circa 1979 - 77 pages - only 14 pages of ads :shock: Price tag = .40c

There's a Laurie article in here too... I'll scan it later...

[img]http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b391/ ... orld1979.j
pg[/img]
Mumbles Lewis on the cover?