Your current skill level

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

Dingus
Owl status

Your current skill level

Post by Dingus » Sat Jan 21, 2006 2:35 pm

Getting pleased with the way my stand up surfing is starting to come together after about 6 months. Thought I'd start a thread where you can put what you see your current skill level is, and the major areas you'd like to improve in, as kind of snapshot of where your at now, and an online reminder of where you want to get to.

I'm starting to get the take-offs more consistently, but have trouble in sucky waves on the 9'1, I can get a bottom turn ok, left and right, and can link it into a turn back if I get ahead of the break. Turns are pretty drawn out on this board, I'm on a single fin and may need to play with the position, but need to work on my balance when I try and turn sharper. My take-offs are defininately the thing I need to work on most, quicker and smoother.
offshore1 wrote:^^^I don't think anyone really cares [about boogie boarders] anymore Dae.
\none left on the forum.

Shaunm
Snowy McAllister

Post by Shaunm » Sat Jan 21, 2006 6:25 pm

Still have 2 fractured fingers on one hand, a krook shoulder a bung hammi and opposite knee, but borrowed a 7'2 today & did a 3/4 , 4 turns at the bottom and smacked the lip 3 times and finished by nailing a swimmer, but hey it was Freshie, over crowded, so I gave myself a 6.9 (2 extra points for the swimmer) 8) I've had a few goes on a 9+, it's a log and end up turning too quick when it's over 3 feet and end up punching the nose into the wall?
Never confuse ambition with ability

fong

Post by fong » Sat Jan 21, 2006 6:41 pm

ehhh i rode a 6'2 in head high waves yesterday and was pretty bummed with myself :cry:

but looking back to early this year.....i had some nice waves....and did some pretty out there backhand snaps....got a few hoots :lol:

so at the moment....i recken i'm going thu a form slump thu to much alchol and a extended time away from the water :idea: no injury...just up nth fishing :wink:

i want get tubed....i want get bit more into mal riding and at the sametime rip on my fish....i'm keen do some tow ins :wink:

and....well....i'm thinking joinin a gym to boost my upper body strength

out of 10...with slater being a 10 and macca being a 1....i rate myself a 6 :arrow: i want b a 7 or 8 this time next year...and some good tubes under my belt :lol:

Johnno
Harry the Hat

Post by Johnno » Sat Jan 21, 2006 7:11 pm

son of a fong wrote:out of 10...with slater being a 10 and macca being a 1....i rate myself a 6 :arrow: i want b a 7 or 8 this time next year...and some good tubes under my belt :lol:
That makes me about 1.5 ............................ :shock: :lol:

macca202
Harry the Hat

Post by macca202 » Sat Jan 21, 2006 7:41 pm

m still shit on all craft

Johnno
Harry the Hat

Post by Johnno » Sat Jan 21, 2006 7:59 pm

macca202 wrote:m still shit on all craft
Less drugs might work ............................ :wink:

:lol:

fong

Post by fong » Sat Jan 21, 2006 8:07 pm

macca202 wrote:m still shit on all craft
come on bent leg 15 toes :arrow: at least u got your looks....oh hang on...shit....u better get some surf lessons or u really are screwed :lol:

and johno u too hard on u self......u at least 1.8 :wink:

the idea dae's cool thread...i think :?: is to consider how u going in the surf at the moment and set a goal 4 how much better u will b in a few months :idea:

now who wants go half in jet ski :?: i'll let u drive all the time :roll:

locallad
Grommet

Post by locallad » Sat Jan 21, 2006 8:23 pm

DaE: give up while yar fgarkin behind, yar kook. Why dontcha take up ten pin bowlin and leave room in the line up. Yar obviously a waste of fgarkin space.

dammit__01
Owl status

Post by dammit__01 » Sat Jan 21, 2006 10:18 pm

bodyboarding = ok

surfing = KOOK!!!

Dingus
Owl status

Post by Dingus » Sat Jan 21, 2006 11:14 pm

dammit__01 wrote:bodyboarding = ok

surfing = KOOK!!!
Dude you can still say where your at and want to go with the bodyboard.
offshore1 wrote:^^^I don't think anyone really cares [about boogie boarders] anymore Dae.
\none left on the forum.

dammit__01
Owl status

Post by dammit__01 » Sat Jan 21, 2006 11:35 pm

come again?

Longygrom
barnacle

Post by Longygrom » Sun Jan 22, 2006 12:40 pm

let your surfing do the talking :!: and if its good enough-people will begin to recognise it...

stoive
barnacle

Post by stoive » Sun Jan 22, 2006 6:51 pm

on the bodyboard im trying to improve my flow and turns linking the moves in different parts of the wave

patske
regular

Post by patske » Sun Jan 22, 2006 7:07 pm

I'm happy with where I'm at right now. Been surfing for about 1 month. Starting on a 6ft skinny thing was a bit hard and frustrating but I'm starting to get a real grasp of it all now.
My biggest area to improve would have to be backside anything lol.
I'm still the biggest kook you'd ever see but generally stoked with the progess I've made thus far.
Hopefully a bigger more buoyant board will help me out later in the year.

Shaunm
Snowy McAllister

Post by Shaunm » Sun Jan 22, 2006 8:04 pm

At the moment - really late take-off &/or slow to get up so being beaten to it a lot of the time :evil:
Never confuse ambition with ability

stylefirst
barnacle

Post by stylefirst » Mon Jan 23, 2006 10:00 am

Longygrom wrote:let your surfing do the talking :!: and if its good enough-people will begin to recognise it...
Thats my philosophy at the moment, one that more people shoudl adopt i think...

sean--
barnacle

Post by sean-- » Mon Jan 23, 2006 1:45 pm

stylefirst wrote:
Longygrom wrote:let your surfing do the talking :!: and if its good enough-people will begin to recognise it...
Thats my philosophy at the moment, one that more people shoudl adopt i think...
Why ? Why the concern of what others may think or the need for recognition. Do it for yourself.

scooter83
Grommet

Post by scooter83 » Thu Jan 26, 2006 8:27 am

Guys,
Been surfing since May 2005. Started on a 7'2 fun board. Really nice board in 1-2 foot surf, turns really smoothly. Because i'm only 67kg's i got to stage where i needed a smaller board to get out in slightly bigger surf, also, i found general board control in crowded conditions a bit of an issue, and really had to pick my waves carefully, because i still don't back myself to have 100% control over my board.

After about 6 months, bought a 2nd hand 6'4 rod rose board - initaially took a while to get used to it, eg more stamina in paddling needed, but it did give me the ability to duck dive bigger waves, and that gave a me a confiedence boost...

At present, at the stage where i can nail take offs well in easier conditions, eg, nice offshore conditons, or more rolly sort of waves...i can bottom turn and do the 2nd turn successfully about 50% of the time, this needs work.

My biggest areas to work on are more consistency on foot placement on take off, and doing my turns smother and more in sink with the wave...and still bloody board control!! Also, i have coped my fair share of kook stacks going for waves i shouldn't be...i've already notched up 12 stitches and nearly decapiated myself :) call it beginers ignorance

But from my first stand up wave i have been addicted to it, so through all the frustrations of learning a new skill at age 23, every decent wave blocks out the previous 5 dud ones :)