Afraid of the ocean

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

bro
Local

Afraid of the ocean

Post by bro » Fri Jan 20, 2006 9:50 am

For those of us who have been lucky enough to spend the good part of our lives in the surf this is not an issue. But I have a friend who started surfing late and no matter how much he prgresses or how fit he is he is never comfortable in the ocean ( my biatch is the same but she's allowed to be she's a chick). This guy won't go out if it is over 4 foot as he thinks he can't handle the rips or that he won't get back in and no matter how much I try and convince him he won't budge. I know he is embarrassed about it so I don't give him too much of a hard time but it kind of ruins it for us when we go on trips etc.

Can he be saved and if so how? Is this weird?

Johnno
Harry the Hat

Post by Johnno » Fri Jan 20, 2006 9:58 am

Just a suggestion bro, take him snorkeling .................... :idea:

After a while you do start to hold your breath longer and he should begin to feel comfortable about being under the water after a few times ................. :wink:

Plus the swimming would help as well.

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Fri Jan 20, 2006 10:17 am

Just get him a mal :DHe can join the rest of them.
I think its good he is worried. Its only with practice that he's going to feel more confident. Much better than some of the fearless irish backpackers who have to be rescued from city beaches after disappearing in dangerous rips :D

Johnnos got a good idea about snorkling. My missus is pretty fearless about the rocks, rips and so forth because she used to scuba dive. Still can't surf very well though :lol: :lol:

Shaunm
Snowy McAllister

Post by Shaunm » Fri Jan 20, 2006 10:20 am

Snorkling good idea, when it's over 4 foot then just get him to sit out there and watch a couple of times, he'll get used to it.
If all fails there is always hypnothearopy
Never confuse ambition with ability

bro
Local

Post by bro » Fri Jan 20, 2006 10:22 am

Thanks guys, the strange thing is he is fit, he swims a few k's every week runs every other day etc so to look at him you would say he 'looks' fitter than half the blokes out there, he is just paranoid that he will get caught in a rip and won't get back in (happened to him once when he was younger and got rescued by other surfers) it's not a pyhsical thing it is the top two inches, even he knows it is wrong and gets pumped to get out there especially when he see's people of much lesser ability out when he won't, yet he just can't get past it and nothing I seem to be able to do convinces him otherwise so I leave him sitting on the beach (mind you it is great as I have full time video assistent) but I would rather have my mate out there with me

macca202
Harry the Hat

Post by macca202 » Fri Jan 20, 2006 10:31 am

yeah i was gonna ask did he have a bad experiance in the past.
i also did, and i still get freaked when the bigger set comes through.
also, when i get stressed/worried in the surf, the blood pumps and my lungs become restricted and i find it harder to breathe.

Shaunm
Snowy McAllister

Post by Shaunm » Fri Jan 20, 2006 10:32 am

Teach him how rips can be friends to our shoulders when paddling out, show him how to take one out and how to get off one once passed the break. Sounds like once he actually does it he'll be fine.
Never confuse ambition with ability

Johnno
Harry the Hat

Post by Johnno » Fri Jan 20, 2006 10:52 am

If it is the rips, both of you go out on a small day with flippers on and get carried out in a rip the swim in once you have been taken out the back.

Just show him that once out the back that the rip disperses and then it is just a matter of picking a spot to swim in.

Go body surfing as well that way he can learn how to use waves to get back in and swim out past where it is breaking and show him how to float.

Try and impress upon him that once out the back there is nothing to fear other than his fear.

But make sure you do this on small to almost flat days to help build his confidence up, just a little at a time.

Good luck.

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Fri Jan 20, 2006 11:15 am

Yo Bro, something left field for your mate.
Australian Bush Flower Essences have an essence for fears and phobias which seems to be the problem in his case.
There’s a few that may help: Emergency Essence, Grey Spider Flower or a combo essence.
http://www.ausflowers.com.au
PM me if you think it is something he’d consider.

JuBu
regular

Post by JuBu » Fri Jan 20, 2006 11:55 am

Know how your mate feels - four foot is about my limit at the moment, having also started surfing very late.

Pushing your limits in the water has to be the hardest thing to do. If the adrenaline is pumping and the nerves are on edge, it's so much harder to remain calm when the monster set of the day rolls blackens the horizon and you're on the inside...

And let's not even talk about snapped leggies or broken boards when you're already out of your comfort zone. :shock:

bro
Local

Post by bro » Fri Jan 20, 2006 12:17 pm

Thanks guys some great tips and I will try a few, like I said it has nothing to with hold downs or wave size purely his fear that if he gets out on a big day he won't get in as he will be caught in a rip dragged further out. He knows how rips work etc it just the top two inches and he just can't push himself over the edge even once to give it a go, I tell ya it eats him up I can see it in his face

As for hypnotherapy does it work?

Hound
Grommet

Post by Hound » Fri Jan 20, 2006 12:18 pm

ok, so I have to message after ric_v, not gonna comment on that one, but..

Bro, I know exactly what you mean, I have a friend, wasn't really a good surfer, he was pretty much learning at the time of 'the incident', we were out at a bit of a closey beach break, and it was like 3-4ft, and my mate got called into a screamer, anyway he totally kooked it and went straight over the falls. Now this was on a mal, and he went under for some time (not proper hold down) but got rolled a little. Next time I see him he's there at the shore shivering like a mongrel, and looking like death.

Since then he's been so cagey to go out in proper conditions, it's actually got worse over time, so much so that on a super hot day in november the surf was about 1ft and I could not get him to paddle out, it is so frustrating, you know he'll enjoy it if he just lets himself. I've tried everything, snorkelling, swimming etc. maybe have to turn him into a lidder, god forbid!!!

The main problem is I feel like such a tool of a friend, sort of harrassing him to come out all the time, but I think if I don't push he'll never get back into it.

maybe a banana would help?

munch
Harry the Hat

Re: Afraid of the ocean

Post by munch » Fri Jan 20, 2006 12:51 pm

bro wrote:But I have a friend
Hound wrote:I have a friend
:D I think there was another thread a while back about imaginary friends ............ :lol:

Anyway, I also have a friend, and they grew up on a beach that had relatively small waves and used to freak out when the surf got "bigger", anyway when they got older and got a car they started surfing other beaches that were "bigger" and they got used to it and then I ..... whoops, they :lol: started surfing heavier beaches and got used to bigger, heavier waves..... So to cut a long story short exposure is the key (think about that little kid who surfs pipe as an example Jon Jon Florence, I think), and be careful not to jump to many levels and get smashed cause you'll be back in the anxiety attack stage :arrow: which sucks.
I also think being a little bit stupid helps (glad tonto's not around or he'd quote me) cause if ya can't remember when ya last had a scary experience ya can't be scared about it ;) :arrow: thats how ya learn to walk, if you we too smart you'd think last time I stood up I fell over and hurt myself so I'm not going todo it this time, which of course we do :arrow: unless your a lidder :?:
If it's well engineered it's beautiful .

bro
Local

Post by bro » Fri Jan 20, 2006 12:55 pm

Exactly Hound, I was being kind saying it was surf over 4 foot, in fact it only has to look rippy and he won't go out and it can be 1 foot, for example, he will NEVER surf Curly with me as he reckons its too rippy and there is always too much water moving around, it gets to the point that he only feels comfortable at the one baech and only in certain conditions, so frustrating especially since he loves it

bro
Local

Post by bro » Fri Jan 20, 2006 12:58 pm

:lol: Munch, I usually bring out the imaginary friends when I get rashes in strange places when i ring the doctor, "um, my friend has this rash and a weird growth thats weeping puss on his........"

munch
Harry the Hat

Post by munch » Fri Jan 20, 2006 1:07 pm

bro wrote::lol: Munch, I usually bring out the imaginary friends when I get rashes in strange places when i ring the doctor, "um, my friend has this rash and a weird growth thats weeping puss on his........"
:lol:

Hey if "your friend" is scared of rips that'd mean he'd scared of rivers, right :?:
If so, some exposure could involve taking out to penrith rapids thingy me bod dooby whacky that they used for the olympics :arrow: just an idea :!:

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Fri Jan 20, 2006 1:20 pm

Hound wrote:ok, so I have to message after ric_v, not gonna comment on that one, but...
And why not :?: :P

Always amazes me what chemicals people will put into their system, but when it comes to something natural or god forbid, alternative, they think it is a joke...

There is an expression “believe it and you will see it”. :shock: keep’em open kids

munch
Harry the Hat

Post by munch » Fri Jan 20, 2006 1:38 pm

ric_vidal wrote:
Hound wrote:ok, so I have to message after ric_v, not gonna comment on that one, but...
And why not :?: :P

Always amazes me what chemicals people will put into their system, but when it comes to something natural or god forbid, alternative, they think it is a joke...

There is an expression “believe it and you will see it”. :shock: keep’em open kids
be careful lic I can see your having trouble with that sadle :D :lol:

and I've got no idea what ya mean, pot's never done anything to me and those magic mushrooms :arrow: felt something not sure what it was :lol: and arnica on the bruises, did nuthin :arrow: yeah the bruises went, but of there natural accord :!: ....... hold on the reins there lic you'll fall off .......
vitamin E before a surf, yeah I didn't get cramps but that was only cause I was on the piss last night ;) ...