Board Shorts

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

smw1
Local

Post by smw1 » Tue Jan 10, 2006 5:40 pm

Nick Carroll wrote:ps how weird is it this time of year, watching all the non surfer people in the flags, all wearing ... boardshorts ... to go swimming in! Jeez boardies look out of place in that situation.
True it does look weird, but is still infinitely preferable to the sight of hundreds of blokes with beer guts running round in smugglers in my opinion.

I have tried lots of brands of board shorts, and have not found one better at preventing rashes than the other. My formula for minimising the pain from rashes is:

1) wear smugglers underneath boardies
2) regularly remove any wax near the rails which has got sand melted into it (often happens to me if I've left my board on the beach in between surfs)
3) apply vaseline or nappy rash cream to any sore areas after a surf
4) and this is the most important one..... use an oribtal sander (100 grit paper works fine) on your inner thighs twice a week followed by a solid rub down with vinegar or pure alcohol. This will help you develop good callouses.

Problem solved.

Poorboy
regular

Post by Poorboy » Tue Jan 10, 2006 8:47 pm

Nick Carroll wrote:Not usually too keen on hyping product here but I recently got a couple of pairs of shorts off Rhythm, thin very light material with that non-velcro front bit, numerous surfs a month later in Hawaii and here and isn't any rash action going on. Plus they're v easy to swim in when ya fall off :lol:

Like I said, wouldn't normally comment, but they're very good shorts, they're worth a rap.

Definitely got the edge on sluggos.
Also have to agree with Nic here I got given a pair for xmas and their real nice other than their sizing is a little small or i drank and ate to much on xmas day i'm not sure really...
My eyes bleed when the sun shines....

el gringo rattis
regular

Post by el gringo rattis » Tue Jan 10, 2006 9:02 pm

spring suites are the go ....... so comfy. boardies are fashion not function. only downsyde is that i got cronic tan line on me neck arms and legs ha.

legge
Grommet

Volcom Boardies

Post by legge » Tue Jan 10, 2006 9:36 pm

Ive used the volcom bruce irons boardies about 5 times (red with black). I didn't get a rash until I walked with them on when they were wet. The only real downside to these board shorts is that they don't have any kind of pocket drainage system which means that no matter what you do sand will always be able to get in but won't escape. :?

Johnno
Harry the Hat

Post by Johnno » Wed Jan 11, 2006 6:49 am

Nick Carroll wrote:ps how weird is it this time of year, watching all the non surfer people in the flags, all wearing ... boardshorts ... to go swimming in! Jeez boardies look out of place in that situation.
That is a good thing and would like to see them in rashies as well.

18 gallon keg's that flounder between the flags in just speedo's is enough to put you off your food........................ :shock:

Tourists........................ :lol:

brenno05
Local

Post by brenno05 » Wed Jan 11, 2006 9:26 am

" 4) and this is the most important one..... use an oribtal sander (100 grit paper works fine) on your inner thighs twice a week followed by a solid rub down with vinegar or pure alcohol. This will help you develop good callouses. "

dude im pretty sure that im not gonna be sanding anywhere near the package...way to risky
Active care for an active lifestyle
Manly Chiropractor
http://www.nbchiro.com.au

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Wed Jan 11, 2006 9:43 am

Nick Carroll wrote:...Rhythm, thin very light material with that non-velcro front bit...
So Knickittiknack where would I be finding said product on the peninsula, and remember I don’t like going to the Mall so please think long and hard!

Tried doing a Google search, what a waste of time that was...

Are we talking Oakley Rhythm board shorts?

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Wed Jan 11, 2006 9:49 am

Laurie McGinness wrote:...bind at the knee. As you get up your knee tends to get caught which isn't usually fatal but it is a pain... Most of them have a velcro fly which limits the capacity of the draw string to adjust to waist size
Lorry :lol: with you on the knee bind 100%.

Question though on the velcro, which I too don’t like but that’s more because I don’t wear sluggos and the those little hooks can be quite damaging on your bits! Are you suggesting no opening would be better and/or more functional?

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Wed Jan 11, 2006 10:05 am

Come to think of it, and reading the other thread about people wearing steamers in summer, it reminds me of the days when we had wetsuit shorts at our disposal.

Nice thin flexible neoprene that presented no problems at all when surfing. Least not compared to what I’ve read here.

Pity they went out of FASHION, and that’s probably all we’re talking about here.

I mean seriously, what was wrong with them?

smw1
Local

Post by smw1 » Wed Jan 11, 2006 11:13 am

ric_vidal wrote:
I mean seriously, what was wrong with them?
Nothing, if you have the buns for it. :lol:

For the rest of us, baggy boardies hide a multitude of sins.

scot
regular

Post by scot » Wed Jan 11, 2006 12:16 pm

ric, not sure where to get em on the nth beaches but they stock em at six ounce board store in bondi.

also, not oakley. separate label that i think is by neal purchase jnr

tootr
Duke Status

Post by tootr » Wed Jan 11, 2006 12:36 pm

remember the 80's shorts which were so tiny and tight :shock: u could not possibly get a rash....although calling somone off in a high pitched voice didn't give ya much cred :wink:

my faves are a 10 year old pair of billbongs with NO velcro, drawstring, not too baggy and cut a bit above the knee.....also no stoopid graphics, rips, patches and other assorted silliness

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Wed Jan 11, 2006 1:25 pm

I wonder if any industry people ever read forum comments like these, other than Poorboy, Bro, Knickittiknack and probably some others and recogonise an opportunity.

Guess not eh!

barstardos
charger

Post by barstardos » Wed Jan 11, 2006 1:44 pm

I actually didnt go surfing this morning because I was scared at how much the boardie rash was gonna hurt!
Well, that and the fact that surf was shite!
Anyway just got me some pawpaw ointment as suggested - hopefully works a treat.

Cactus2099

Post by Cactus2099 » Wed Jan 11, 2006 1:57 pm

Neoprene shorts.

Got a couple of mates who use them and swear by them. Apparently Rype in DY has them.

Don't make the mistake of going to Line Up though. They may have them as well but its just not worth talking to Wayne.
You have to grow old: Nobody said you had to grow up...

One Mile Point
Snowy McAllister

Post by One Mile Point » Wed Jan 11, 2006 2:04 pm

I get mine from cheap stores like best and less and they work good

marty
barnacle

Post by marty » Wed Jan 11, 2006 2:13 pm

Rockin' Ron wrote:shortjohn!
bingo. i swear by the ol' tube suit.

copter#9

Post by copter#9 » Wed Jan 11, 2006 2:19 pm

We are listening/reading. But the powers that be (the bosses) generally look, as said previously, at the bigger market. Unfortunately this does not mean surfers but rather people who want to look or be like surfers.