home brew recepies

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

marcus
Owl status

home brew recepies

Post by marcus » Tue Mar 09, 2004 2:52 am

gday guys, havent done a batch for a while, as theres allot of washing bottles and geer to make home brewed beer.
made some good batches, and some terible ones.

one recepie had a can of blue mountain lager, some saaz hops (i think), 1kg of dextrose (glucose). and maybe some dry enzyme, and it turned out like hahn premium.
if you cant get to a brew shop, try coopers lager in the green tin, with 1kg dextrose and if you can get some saaz hops, put 15g in, makes a beer for emergencies.

another one had twice as much of everything (except bottling sugar) and turned out a leg wobbling 10% beer, great for going fishing or to bbq's as you dont have to carry as many bottles.

just one tip from an amatur , dont use normal white sugar in your brew, use glucose.
Oscar Wilde - "I am not young enough to know everything"

collnarra

recipe tweaks

Post by collnarra » Thu Mar 11, 2004 8:37 am

I just use the coopers tins, but often use brown sugar instead of regular sugar. Nice.

walrus

Sugar

Post by walrus » Thu Mar 11, 2004 9:19 am

I don't use sugar, dextrose or glucose. While they are 100% fermentable they add very little to the body of the brew. Liquid malt is only 60% fermentable but will add a great deal to the body and genaraly provide a creamier head. You need to add more to get the same alcohol content, which also makes a great impact on flavour and body, but the resulting brew is much better. A huge improvement can be gained by throwing away the crap yeast given out with brew tins, buy liquid yeast, saflager or culture your own from a Coopers bottle
One of my favourites is a can of Coopers Lager, 2kg liquid malt and a yeast culture taken from a bottle of Coopers Sparkling Ale.
Always remember to drink in moderation if you don't have much beer.
My tag line sucks, can I borrow yours

collnarra

yeast

Post by collnarra » Thu Mar 11, 2004 9:54 am

How do you culture the yeast from a bottle of coopers?

FuzzyPumper

Post by FuzzyPumper » Sun Mar 14, 2004 12:16 am

umm, use a heirloom starter.

walrus

Re: yeast

Post by walrus » Mon Mar 15, 2004 6:03 am

collnarra wrote:How do you culture the yeast from a bottle of coopers?
Buy a tallie of Coopers Sparkling Ale and leave it in the fridge for a few days undisturbed. Then carefully decant 75% of the contents into a jug trying not to disturb the sediment. The sediment is yeast that has fallen out of solution. To culture this yeast to a suitable quantity for pitching, allow the remaining liquid in the bottle to come to room temperature, add a mixture of around 200ml 30 deg C water, 1 tablespoon liquid malt, 1 teaspoon sugar and .25 teaspoon citric acid. Put a rubber bung with a hole in it into the bottle and shove your airlock in. After a few days the airlock will go crazy, this is called "High Krauzen". This is the best time to pitch the yeast, no doubt you will miss it so you can stimulate another high krauzen by adding some more nutrient and waiting for a few hours. Most home brew shops will have a flyer on how to do this.
My tag line sucks, can I borrow yours

kreepykrawly
Owl status

Post by kreepykrawly » Mon Oct 23, 2006 4:13 pm

just interested in people that brew there own beer. a freind of mine does it. the beer doesnt taste like cr-p. he reckons that you shouldnt use sugar and u should boil the hops.
The beer deadset tastes 100 times better than the local stuff and costs a third as much.
man im not a big drinker but the new stuff tastes like mothers milk.
i will get more info off him as soon as he stops drinking .

bookster
barnacle

Post by bookster » Mon Oct 23, 2006 4:39 pm

Be very careful KK.... brewing your own is seriously good fun :)

tootr
Duke Status

Post by tootr » Mon Oct 23, 2006 5:15 pm

some excellents points made blokes !!

my tips;

dont use sugar, dextrose or rice extract (think budweiser and san miguel)

use 100% malt and a quality yeast to chew thru it...culture a coopers yeast for the ales and dark beers, or get a good lager yeast

use some extra hops to balance the extra body (and flavour!!!) of the malt

remember hygiene is king when it comes to home brewing!

heres a great red brown ale

2 tins plain liquid malt - no F**** sugar for us please

boil about 200 grams chocolate and crystal malt in two litre pan, strain liquid off and add to tub

small cup 50/50 combined saaz and fuggles hop pellets

fill the bin up - use a cultured coopers yeast

leave at least one month after bottling

collect admiration from astounded guests!

andycumo
Local
Location: anywhere thats shallow and hollow and uncrowded. ie; not sydney

Post by andycumo » Mon Oct 23, 2006 9:54 pm

me and 2 mates have brewed a few.
fist batch was shit.

second batch we made turned out great

we have a double keg, and 2 single kegs (single keg brews about 23L)

Double keg recipe:
2 cans of coopers mexican cerveza
1kg brew enhancer 2
1kg Liquid Malt
500g brown sugar

Results: After a week in the bottles turned out bloody awesome! cost 40 bucks for all ingredients and made 5 cases worth! excellent!

Single Keg 1: Strong beer, recipe of coopers website
2 cans of bavarian lager
1kg dry malt extract

Results: after a week it is still far from ready but highly drinkable. very bitter (which i like) and at around 8% alcohol you cant go wrong with this one despite its hefty price tag of a bit over 30 bucks for 2 cases (still bloody awesome)

Single keg 2: experiment coz we were low on cash
Tooheys lager can (on special for 7 bucks)
1 kg dextrose (on special for 3 bucks)

Results: very impressive! yet again not ready, but still highly drinkable and wil only get better

Now we are jsut gona drink the first batch of shit when we are so maggot or sell it to year 10 kids for 5 bucks a 6 pack (we went wrong by adding a kilo of raw sugar on top of the brew enhancer, so it is very strong)

We go out on bin nights collecting bottles now we have enough which is great :D (we wanted crown tops and we drink twist tops mostly)

A great tip for cleaning is chuck em in the dishwasher without detergent, this rinses and sterilises as nothing is going to survive a dishwasher! (just make sure theres no cigarette buts in the bottles) :oops:

hope i helped some of you out there hoping to get into brewing.

thefuhrer
Grommet

Post by thefuhrer » Tue Oct 24, 2006 1:12 am

zee fuhrers finest stout all grain if you can :lol: other zan zat vee vil use a coopers stout und 1kg dark dried malt extract vith 500g light dried malt extract, 500g dextrose
400g maltodextrine some crystal if you liken zee crystal 20g goldings hops any fazherland liquid yeast, zee whitelabs.com filtered vasser or boil off zee chlorine keepen zee fermentation temp below 22C or you vill get a hangenover!!!! racken zee after ein week zen bulk primen zee vith light dried malt extract (ein cup und a half, boil for 10 mins)drinken after 3veeks

must use a goot stein

enjoy your glorious bier

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

thefuhrer
Grommet

Post by thefuhrer » Tue Oct 24, 2006 1:15 am

makens 20L orst 10stiens :lol: :lol:

thefuhrer
Grommet

Post by thefuhrer » Tue Oct 24, 2006 1:17 am

forgotten zee steeping oft 150G chocolate grain,maken like zee coffee zen pour into pot :lol:

Beerfan

beer

Post by Beerfan » Tue Oct 24, 2006 6:36 am

English bitter:

3kg Maris otter
200g caramalt
60g brown malt
30g carafa 1
300g sugar

20g challenger hops ( in the mash )
35g challenger hops FWH
10g green bullet hops 60 mins.

White labs premium bitter ale yeast.

Mash at 67c for an hour.

Fermented 10 days at 18c.

10.3 SRM

29 IBU

4.2%

Fu^&ing delicious. Making beer from scratch is the way to go.

munch
Harry the Hat

Re: Sugar

Post by munch » Tue Oct 24, 2006 7:09 am

walrus wrote:I don't use sugar, dextrose or glucose. While they are 100% fermentable they add very little to the body of the brew. Liquid malt is only 60% fermentable but will add a great deal to the body and genaraly provide a creamier head.
Agreed, but I'm tending to use the grains more now as they impart more of what youse are talkin about above :arrow: more head & body plus it cost less. And take note that warlrus has specified Liquid Malt the powdered ones I've found are a bit fine, I've had a few brews that I used powdered malts and ended up with bottles which had sediment that when a little bit cracked of during pouring would start a process ending in the bottle looking like a fountain :( I ended up blaming the powedered malt I'd added.
So how do I do it :?: twice as much water as grain in a pot boiling add the grain, turn off or right down the flame. I then get me little wiz out and blend it ( :? yeah I know a bit weird but saves having to grind it ). At this point youse can add hops if you want :?: then let sit for 20 mins and then sieve through a fine grain sieve ( chinois to others, I got mine for $35 and it works a treat, ah from that commercial cookery shop at crowsnest or try the chefs wharehouse in darlinghurst and by the way none of these are fine enough http://www.catererswarehouse.com.au/cat ... ID=233&p=1 and yep there about as fine as a coffee plunger) into the barrel. Then put it back in the pot and add cold water, stir, sieve into barrel and repeat a few times till clearish.

walrus wrote:Always remember to drink in moderation if you don't have much beer.
:lol: ;)

p.s keep it below 22C (mine are never in the barrel less than two weeks) as the nazi said, or they'll end up tasting really sweet and yeasty :x
p.p.s the recipes off the coopers site for sparkling ale and pale ale site tops just substitue the powdered malt for grain like above and yep I used the yeast that came with it and it was okay.
If it's well engineered it's beautiful .

mudguts
regular

Post by mudguts » Tue Oct 24, 2006 7:20 am

back in my old defence force days we were away working for a few months with no beer, but some one had the fore thought to pack some home brew gear. we brewed it in used water bottles. it looked foul, some like off milk, some a deep brown colour, and it was pot luck when taking the lid off as to whether there was enough pressure in the bottle for the lid to come off at a 100 miles and hour and take out your eye, but desperate times call for desperate measures, and fuck me did it hit the spot!!!!

munch
Harry the Hat

Post by munch » Tue Oct 24, 2006 7:21 am

Also, has anyone used a cascade brew kit and ended up with a nice beer :?:

I did one and it didn't taste right when I bottled it and I ended pouring them down the sink cause they tasted so foul (oh I've got two kegs and I had another brew on next to it and it ended up tops so it couldn't be a temp... thing )

And a mate at work did one as well and he ended up with a similar result :?
If it's well engineered it's beautiful .

bookster
barnacle

Post by bookster » Tue Oct 24, 2006 5:06 pm

thefuhrer wrote:zee fuhrers finest stout all grain if you can:lol:
But the fuhrer was a teetotaler....