NORTH NARRABEEN .....FROM A LOCAL PERSPECTIVE

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

KK asks:

Do you hate me?
39%
Feel sorry for me?
26%
Think I should take my chardonnay and poodle back to Freshwater
35%

Total votes: 23

kreepykrawly
Owl status

NORTH NARRABEEN .....FROM A LOCAL PERSPECTIVE

Post by kreepykrawly » Fri Dec 09, 2005 11:08 pm

RECENTLY THERE HAS BEEN A LOT OF NEGATIVE FEEDBACK REGARDING AGGRESIVE NARRABEEN LOCALS AND THERE DOESNT SEEM TO BE MUCH CONSIDERATION FOR THE OPPOSITE PERSPECTIVE. THE PROBLEM REALLY STEMS FROM IDIOTS THAT HAVE RECENTLY MOVED TO NARRABEEN WITH THERE CHARDONAY AND POODLES AND EXPECT TO PADDLE OUT AT NORTH NARRABEEN AND EXPECT TO GET ANY WAVE THEY PADDLE FOR.ALL THEY DO IS MAKE IT UNPLEASANT FOR EVERYONE BECAUSE YOUR RUN OF THE MILL "RING IN" CANT SURF ANYWAY.PLEASE LEARN TO SURF BEFORE COMEING TO NARRABEEN AND EVEN IF YOU CAN SURF ...SHOW RESPECT.
SURE NOBODY OWNS THE OCEAN BUT EVERYBODY DEMANDS RESPECT.WITHOUGHT IT SOCIETY CEASES TO FUNCTION PROPERLY. WE SUPPORT ALL OUR NN MEMBERS.

Longboarder
regular

Post by Longboarder » Fri Dec 09, 2005 11:16 pm

There is atleast one local, if not a few at any break that share your attitude. Wonder who you pissed off when u learned to surf, because you had to learn somewhere right.

barney

Post by barney » Sat Dec 10, 2005 7:17 am

living and surfing somewhere doesnt give anyone the right to act like a complete fuckwit. If people with no clue are getting in the way, dropping in, snaking people, and generally geing complete kooks, then its fine to say something to them (and no not with your fist), but too many 'locals' take their frustration out on people for no reason other than the fact they are not getting any waves. These are usually guys that cant surf.

I have the utmost respect for guys that are local somewhere, and rip. Not kooks who cant surf and think they have the right to drop in on someone because they cant get waves of their own. If your not getting any waves because your a kook, dont cry aobut it and start punching people, go surf at bondi until you know what your doing.

"Its got to be done to restore order to the beach" is the worse excuse for violence i have ever heard. Hows about getting your kicks from surfing, not feeling like a big man because you just broke someones nose.

These clowns also give the local boys who get heaps of waves, and are good guys a bad name.

Guys who live and surf somewhere, and rip deserve respect. Kooks who live and try to surf somewhere, try and drop in on you, and get hit by the lip doing a poo stance, then get sucked over the falls and then trying to punch someone deserve nothing more than to be laughed at.

Alvin
Grommet

Post by Alvin » Sat Dec 10, 2005 7:58 am

That's all fine, KK...as long as you agree to never surf any break other than Narra...never travel outside your own postcode and then I'm sure everyone will show you the respect and consideration you so rightfully deserve. :roll:
vortex wrote:So 'Alvin', if that is your real name, when you can backflip above Shar Island's dry end section, surge, when its pushing 8 foot, then i might consider taking you seriously when you say sponging is 'easy'.

vonie
regular

Post by vonie » Sat Dec 10, 2005 8:43 am

The problem with NN is really with a few “militant locals" they think they can drop in on or snake anyone they feel like then hide behind a hypocritical veneer of what they laughingly call respect.

It has nothing to do with kooks. NN usually has a good vibe to it if you show respect – however there are a few like JD and others that think they can do what ever they like, threaten and deliver assaults, destroy other peoples property then claim local rights then feel they have defended “their turf”. Get rid of a few of those guys and the real problem goes away.

Before you get started – I have lived in Narrabeen for 20 years so I’m hardly a blow in….
"Stay happy and everything will be perfectly all right"... Jack Norris

glug

Post by glug » Sat Dec 10, 2005 9:07 am

KK, Dont know how you can put a positive spin on the violence at NN (or for that matter anywhere). Yet another mediocre attempt at arguing a case for respect, or should it be "demand respect".
Society [u]will[/u] cease to function properly if we all start typing in uppercase.

Southozzie
regular

Re: NORTH NARRABEEN .....FROM A LOCALS PERSPECTIVE

Post by Southozzie » Sat Dec 10, 2005 10:01 am

kreepykrawly wrote:RECENTLY THERE HAS BEEN A LOT OF NEGATIVE FEEDBACK REGARDING AGGRESIVE NARRABEEN LOCALS AND THERE DOESNT SEEM TO BE MUCH CONSIDERATION FOR THE OPPOSITE PERSPECTIVE. THE PROBLEM REALLY STEMS FROM IDIOTS THAT HAVE RECENTLY MOVED TO NARRABEEN WITH THERE CHARDONAY AND POODLES AND EXPECT TO PADDLE OUT AT NORTH NARRABEEN AND EXPECT TO GET ANY WAVE THEY PADDLE FOR.ALL THEY DO IS MAKE IT UNPLEASANT FOR EVERYONE BECAUSE YOUR RUN OF THE MILL "RING IN" CANT SURF ANYWAY.PLEASE LEARN TO SURF BEFORE COMEING TO NARRABEEN AND EVEN IF YOU CAN SURF ...SHOW RESPECT.
SURE NOBODY OWNS THE OCEAN BUT EVERYBODY DEMANDS RESPECT.WITHOUGHT IT SOCIETY CEASES TO FUNCTION PROPERLY. WE SUPPORT ALL OUR NN MEMBERS.

TL
Grommet

Post by TL » Sat Dec 10, 2005 10:42 am

I don't know what all the fuss is about. I've never had a problem at Northy ever. Yeah sure there might be the odd agro dude that may or may not be a local, but give him as many waves as he likes. Up until recently i used to surf there before work at least once a week when i was in the area. Never had or saw a problem in the water. I reckon if you paddle out with a positive outlook then everything will be just fine.

Lighten up guys. Usually the guys that whinge about localism are kooks anyway. I understand your view KK, but i don't condone violence. I support respect and ability in the water. If you have a problem with the locals at Northy, then don't surf there!

Cheers.

macca202
Harry the Hat

Post by macca202 » Sat Dec 10, 2005 11:59 am

TL wrote: If you have a problem with the locals at Northy, then don't surf there!
you don't seem to get it. If people obeyed what you said, then that only encourages the sort of violent localism.

beck_surfs
Grommet

Post by beck_surfs » Sat Dec 10, 2005 12:18 pm

Hopefully this will be the conclusion to this discussion. Im sure you have all realised that on a larger scale - natonal and international - in all areas of public issues there are tyrannic, over-protective, vigilante characters. This is why it is inevitable that in every facet of life this discussion will arise and as a result at every beach these characters are present, some areas just more than others. If a kook gets abused, unrightfully so, then they are gonna hav to deal with it because these types of personalities will be encountered every where... The BOTTOM LINE is to respect people where ever you go and they will respect you (hopefully), smile when you are out there to send good vibes and then even if you do kook it up they will be more light-hearted towards ur friendly nature!! Gain some background knowledge before paddling out and dont go to the most crowded peak if ur a kook! If its crowded then share the waves!

Sharing is caring....

wobbo

Post by wobbo » Sat Dec 10, 2005 3:06 pm

you gotta show respect to get it.

chrisb
Owl status

Post by chrisb » Sat Dec 10, 2005 3:26 pm

wobbo wrote:you gotta show respect to get it.
Generally that is true. Unfortunately 1% of the population are a_rseholes and it doesn't matter what you do.

About 10 years ago I was called off a wave at NN by a supposed local who had snaked me. It was my first wave, I had been out for about 15 minutes and I was up and on the wave first. Anyway I flicked off the wave to let him have his ride. When he paddled back out he loudly verbally abused me saying to keep off his f_ucken waves, I didn't belong there etc. etc. My calm responses to him were just followed by further tirades of verbal abuse.

What I found just as objectionable were the others in the lineup who had seen what happened and said and did nothing.

Thankfully nothing like that has happened to me since.

kreepykrawly
Owl status

kreepykrawlies say

Post by kreepykrawly » Sat Dec 10, 2005 4:06 pm

The good thing about living and growing up at Narrabeen is that it has taught me how to respect locals. Ive travelled all around the world surfing and snowboarding and i havent had a problem with anyone.I put that down to understanding the environment im in and considering the locals.You have to understand wherever you go you will have some form of aggression against you if you disrespect the locals.
i see it everyday .some idiot paddles out at narrabeen past all the surfers(locals and ring-ins) who have been waiting there turn for a wave and then paddle in for the first set wave that comes.the next thing you know is that they get dropped in by 3 or more locals and have there board(usually covered in stickers) damaged.The idiot then gets yelled at and asked to leave.
There are many other environments that showing disrespect to locals would leave you 6 feet under.Why dont you try pissing off the locals in LA,Mexico or Hawaii ect ect ect. So a little love tap cant be all that bad.Consider it a wake up call.People are just becoming so damn sensitive it makes me sick.The bottom line is .GROW SOME BALLS!!!!!

Shaunm
Snowy McAllister

Post by Shaunm » Sat Dec 10, 2005 4:14 pm

So answer me this please KK.
If you can surf OK and you initially take your place at the end of the lineup and you don't act like a dick (drop in try and take waves you can't etc) you are welcome to surf NN?

Ps edit. Surfed NN twice once after a paddle out for someone who died from their crew (I was invited in from the carpark to boost numbers only) and another time a local invited me in as it was crappy and there was hardly anyone out. Didn't have a problem even considering the only board I had was 7'2.
Never confuse ambition with ability

kreepykrawly
Owl status

Post by kreepykrawly » Sat Dec 10, 2005 4:26 pm

Just because mummy and daddy are not allowed to spank you on your botty doesnt mean that pissing of a Narrabeen local will draw the same response.wake up to yourselves..... this is the real world.

dammit__01
Owl status

Post by dammit__01 » Sat Dec 10, 2005 5:49 pm

no use arguing theres always gonna be beginners and theres always gonna be agro's. now consider this no beginners at any beach every again you would like that yer and then in 10 years time surfing will be slowly but surely dying out.

let kooks be kooks and leave agros to them selves. if i see an agro at a good spot on the beach i simply move ill have fun sumwhere else instead of a agro fuckwit who wont let you get anywaves. as for kreepykrawly ur a douche this wont acheive anything so why bother its not gonna change n e 1s views either

vonie
regular

Post by vonie » Sat Dec 10, 2005 8:57 pm

nice one toasta
"Stay happy and everything will be perfectly all right"... Jack Norris