Malik Joyeux - tragic news from Hawaii

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

thermalben
charger

Malik Joyeux - tragic news from Hawaii

Post by thermalben » Sat Dec 03, 2005 10:07 am

Just received some info that Malik Joyeux passed away today surfing Pipe today. At this stage there's no other information, but if I receive any more I'll post it here.

Born in Tahiti, most of you will remember Malik as the young fella that rode the "biggest wave ever" at Teahupooin 2003. Malik also won the 2004 "Monster Tube of the Year Award". Rest In Peace.

eggsta
Grommet

Post by eggsta » Sat Dec 03, 2005 10:59 am

Whaaaattt? How did he die? HIt the reef or got held down for too long?
You would think pipe would be a walk in the park compared to Chopes,
any other info? (I really hope this is not true..)

Jamoe
Local

Post by Jamoe » Sat Dec 03, 2005 11:21 am

thats so sad he shredded. you should see how he surfed Teahupoo, check it out in Blackwater.

R.I.P

thermalben
charger

Post by thermalben » Sat Dec 03, 2005 12:06 pm

Still don't know much more info at this stage, but I have been keeping a close eye on Hawaii's news and the Triple Crown website. Surfermag just uploaded some info, but it doesn't say how he died - but it appears he was probably underwater for quite some time following the accident (reports suggests 15mins).

willie
barnacle

Post by willie » Sat Dec 03, 2005 12:57 pm

rip malik :(
watched his waves at teahupoo many a time

chrisb
Owl status

Post by chrisb » Sat Dec 03, 2005 2:03 pm

eggsta wrote:You would think pipe would be a walk in the park compared to Chopes,
any other info? (I really hope this is not true..)
Ironically it seems to be the smaller waves that cause the trouble eg. Mark Foo's last wave was "only" a 12 footer and small compared to the much bigger stuff he had been in. Jay Moriarty died in a freediving accident after surviving unscathed the worst wipeout ever seen at Mavericks. Most of our own injuries seem to happen in the small stuff.

It sounds like he fell backwards after taking a late drop on a 6-8 footer, maybe hitting his head on the board and getting knocked unconscious. As stated earlier by "thermalben" he was under for about 15 minutes - no chance of survival.

A very tragic end to a life cut way too short - he should have had another 60 years surfing ahead of him. You just never know when it's going to happen.

greygrom
regular

Post by greygrom » Sat Dec 03, 2005 5:25 pm

On a perfect summer day of small clean waves and surf family fun time we are once again reminded of the fragility of human life.

Rip in Paradise Malik.

You are one helluva surfer man. :(

plan b
regular

Post by plan b » Sat Dec 03, 2005 7:35 pm

that is really sad news

a few friends in france knew malik well

by all accounts, a really modest guy

rip

grazza
Local

Post by grazza » Sat Dec 03, 2005 8:40 pm

This is such shocking news. Like most of us, I didn't know Malik except as the poster surfer of the insanely thick wide Chopes barrel. I'm sure he must have been a great guy - just to have the will to do the things he did require character and strength far removed from the mainstream.

I didn't know Malik, but I do know a whole heap of guys that attack Hawaii every year, chasing the buzz, the recco, the photo, whatever. Pushing themselves into waves and situations that are beyond sensible at places like Pipe because, well, that's what you do, isn't it?

I am thinking that there were probably more than a couple of them out at Pipe this morning, and how easily it could have been one of them losing a young life rich in possibilities through something as simple and as trivial as slightly misjudging how a peak is wedging and lifting. Sends a chill down my spine. I can just begin to imagine the pain that Malik's friends and family are feeling right now, but only just.

Adieu, Malik. When one of our broad and raucous family leaves us, we all die a little.

grazza
Local

Post by grazza » Sun Dec 04, 2005 6:33 am

Super Heavy. This is the full sequence of Malik's last wave, apparently.
http://67.15.190.12/sunset/photos.php

loco4olas
charger

Post by loco4olas » Sun Dec 04, 2005 11:14 am

grazza wrote:Super Heavy. This is the full sequence of Malik's last wave, apparently.
http://67.15.190.12/sunset/photos.php
Grazza,

Thanks for posting that. Pretty tame looking wave actually-looks like he was hanging a little too casual, and didn't set his bottom turn hard enough to get under the lip, and took the full brunt of the wave on his body. Bloody tagedy, especially compared to the beasts he's ridden at Teahpou in the past.

Matt
Last edited by loco4olas on Sun Dec 04, 2005 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

marcus
Owl status

Post by marcus » Sun Dec 04, 2005 12:15 pm

R.I.P.
Oscar Wilde - "I am not young enough to know everything"

aitch
regular

Post by aitch » Sun Dec 04, 2005 12:45 pm

If anyone has seen the footage of Malik charging Chopés and wiping out three times in a row, you'd think the man was invincible. And the scale to which these guys push it is so unaturally heavy. It comes as such a shock to lose one of the more serious chargers.

http://www.tim-mckenna.com/news/pop.php ... 3_xxxl.jpg

Gone but not forgotten.

maxi
charger

Post by maxi » Sun Dec 04, 2005 3:21 pm

hogey
regular

Post by hogey » Sun Dec 04, 2005 5:32 pm

i can't believe it, Malik was my fav rider out at chopes by far, his charging ability was unmatched out there in my beliefs, this is a tragic loss, im shocked
culture yo self