Fairy Penguins

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

KymE
regular

Fairy Penguins

Post by KymE » Fri Nov 11, 2005 8:58 am

:D

I had the pleasure a few months ago on the Northern Beaches to have 2 fairy penguins around me whilst surfing. One was just over a foot away. :o It was soo magical. They appeared a fortnight later - then gone. :(

Just wondering how close has anyone gotten to a Fairy Penguin ?

Do they only appear at beaches certain times in the year?

Where have they been spotted?

chrisb
Owl status

Post by chrisb » Fri Nov 11, 2005 9:13 am

Iv'e seen some penguins at Palm - I think there's a colony nearby. Came within about 3 feet of me.

Saw one at the Poles also. A nearby surfer called it a pelican - I had to explain to him the difference between the two.

Both those sightings were a few years ago. I don't think that the numbers have decreased, it's more case of being lucky enough to be in the right place at the right time.

What has increased in the last 5 years in Sydney has been the number of dolphins. 20 years ago you'd have been lucky to see any at all.

Clif
barnacle

Post by Clif » Fri Nov 11, 2005 9:36 am

they are soooooooooooo cute.

prob would make good bait too. (just joking :D )

shish
regular

Post by shish » Fri Nov 11, 2005 11:00 am

There is a colony of them in the harbour near Manly. Have seen them in the surf quite a few times, even right in at Manly beach. They make a high pitched squarking sound when they surface.
yeehaa!

Hound
Grommet

Post by Hound » Fri Nov 11, 2005 11:03 am

There are colonies up and down the coast, with the caring folk at the RSPCA (or something like that) helping to increase their numbers around the cabbage tree bay area. It's very common to see them bobbing around the bower area. I think there's something in the number of 300 nesting at north head, could be wrong.

Nice to see them out in the water, keeps the noahs busy!!!!

Shaunm
Snowy McAllister

Post by Shaunm » Fri Nov 11, 2005 3:14 pm

Do they work with chilli sauce? :wink:
Never confuse ambition with ability

Mr_momo_32
Local

Post by Mr_momo_32 » Fri Nov 11, 2005 3:45 pm

i have seen one at longy it was soo fast it came up about 4 feet away from he said helo and zooooomed away he was sweet!

christopher
regular

Post by christopher » Fri Nov 11, 2005 4:23 pm

early this year one morning at cronulla it was like an aquarium out there. there were tonnes of schools of tiny fish, medium fish, and some beasts close to a metre. definitely a weird surf. there were fairy penguins poppin up all around the place too. that same session a small fish who was travelling with his/her school jumped into my mouth while a few beached themselves on my board for a split second. i was paddling back out through the washy water and the little bugger just popped straight into my mouth when i was breathing :D
ill never forget that.

you could tell every surfer were shitting themselves out there though due to the abnormal numbers and types of fish! the seagulls were havin a ball though.

yanks r us
charger

Post by yanks r us » Fri Nov 11, 2005 7:04 pm

i was at narrabeen a while ago and there was a swarm of dolphins catching waves, pretty decent size surf to. sweet to watch, got really close, even about o duck dive a wave when a dolphin was catching a wave right in front of me, thought i was going 2 collide and die.

smw1
Local

Post by smw1 » Fri Nov 11, 2005 7:04 pm

They're cool little things. I used to live harbourside in Manly and one of the colonies was near the end of the garden. Only trouble was they kind of wake up at about 2am every morning and scream their heads off (sounds a bit like a baby crying)!

They're not at all scared of us, which is bad news for them really because they'd be better off steering well clear. It used to drive me nuts when people would come to see them at night, talking in loud voices and shining torches on them :shock: You aren't supposed to do that to endangered species, obviously, but some people don't care I guess.

Power to the Little Penguins.

SMW1

mad
charger

Post by mad » Fri Nov 11, 2005 7:47 pm

Used to surf a couple of spots on PI that had colonies, like Summerland bay awesome little beasts.

Canny little speed bumps, had to work hard to leave the mark of Zorro.

snakes
barnacle

Post by snakes » Fri Nov 11, 2005 10:16 pm

Shaunm wrote:Do they work with chilli sauce? :wink:
:lol: :lol: :lol:

snakes

Hawkeye
barnacle

Post by Hawkeye » Thu Nov 17, 2005 7:55 pm

Shaunm wrote:Do they work with chilli sauce? :wink:
Dunno about the penguins, but seagulls definitely do!

A mate and I had this nasty carping gull follow us all the way from the beach to the Raglan St carpark at Manly, demanding to be fed. We'd picked up some doner kebabs on the way and were royally fed up with the loud and insistent racket it was making, so I said "orright, you pest, here you go!" and threw it a bit of lamb that was liberally dosed with chilli sauce.

In true seagull style it intercepted it midair and scoffed it down instantly.

But a second or so later, the seagull had learned what happens when you mess with the hawkeye! For a couple of seconds it stood stock still, beak wide open and tears streaming from its eyes, and was last seen waddling in a decidedly drunken manner back the way it came. :lol:

A very satisfying end to an enjoyable day! 8)

macca202
Harry the Hat

Post by macca202 » Thu Nov 17, 2005 9:00 pm

anyone see the dead one along the shorline last thursday at curly?

Squidlips
barnacle

Post by Squidlips » Thu Nov 17, 2005 10:42 pm

we get loads in vicco, got a national park dedicated to the buggers on phillip island. 1000s live on this one beach. they surf pretty good.

Spoon
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Spoon » Fri Nov 18, 2005 10:01 am

Mr_momo_32 Posted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 3:45 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i have seen one at longy it was soo fast it came up about 4 feet away from he said helo and zooooomed away he was sweet!
Wow, not only did you get to see one but you got a talking one, I'm impressed.
Al this is gold. "She didn't realise I was fairly high and spent much of the evening trying to figure out why a purple and orange cow wanted me to climb a tree."