how to get wax out of the inside of your surfboard cover???

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

CARPARKKING
regular

how to get wax out of the inside of your surfboard cover???

Post by CARPARKKING » Wed Nov 09, 2005 9:46 pm

ive had this problem for ages. After a hot day or after leaving my board in its case in the sun, the wax inside melts to the bitch and sticks to the inside of the cover, then when i rewax my board all the wax on the inside of the cover gets all over the nose and places where i dont need wax, does anyone know a good method to get the wax out of my cover, i also cant turn it inside out because its too long, ive also tried boiling water but that just spreads it even more????

Jamoe
Local

Post by Jamoe » Wed Nov 09, 2005 10:32 pm

similiar problem, but the insiide of my bad actually deteriorates and gets stuck in the melted wax on my stick. not impressed considering the moolah i forked out for the FCS bag. just get a cruddy old towel and use that to put over the waxed part of your board, i find that the wax doesnt get as hot and so doesnt stick to the towel

Poorboy
regular

Post by Poorboy » Thu Nov 10, 2005 10:54 am

Have either of you tried cleaning it out with a citrus cleaner?
Poorboy make a citrus cleaner for cleaning the wax off your surfboard so I would suggest you could use the same product to clean the inside of your board bags....
Cheers

My eyes bleed when the sun shines....

Johnno
Harry the Hat

Post by Johnno » Thu Nov 10, 2005 10:55 am

I have found that by using a mop and bucket with boiling hot water from a jug does the trick................ :wink:

Just lay the cover out them using the mop just rub around the inside of the cover, job done in 15 min.

mad
charger

Post by mad » Thu Nov 10, 2005 10:56 am

Acetone or car spray paint thinners on a rag will get wax off.

I've had my cloth board cover dry cleaned to get off the wax. Was for me new shooter.

Jamoe
Local

Post by Jamoe » Thu Nov 10, 2005 12:02 pm

i heard paint thinners and stuff like turps was not a good idea as it eats into the fibreglass

and poorboy, how much is the citrus cleaner?

matt...
charger

Post by matt... » Thu Nov 10, 2005 12:33 pm

now there's an idea for the youngsters !!

Wanto - you are genius...
nature is a language. can't you read?
if you spend your life looking behind you, you don't see what's up front...

smw1
Local

Post by smw1 » Thu Nov 10, 2005 12:38 pm

i heard paint thinners and stuff like turps was not a good idea as it eats into the fibreglass
I'm not sure about it damaging the glass, but anything like turps/meths/acetone spells disaster for the lacquers and finish. Especially acetone, which will strip immediately whereas turps and meths are more gentle.

I use citrus cleaner now. It does cost a few more bucks, but it smells a lot nicer and doesn't harm the environment when you wash it off.

If I'm doing the inside of my covers, I usually just dab some citrus stuff onto a rag and give the inside a wipe. Wax comes off in seconds.

SMW1

smw1
Local

Post by smw1 » Thu Nov 10, 2005 12:42 pm

Wanto wrote:
ever thought of just being careful about which way you put your board in the cover? if theres only wax on one side of the cover it aint gonna get all over the bottom is it!
Yep, but whenever I leave my empty cover on the beach, the wax melts and transfers itself to the other side, and anything else in the vicinity that I didn't want wax on, like camera, iPod, mobile phone etc.

matt...
charger

Post by matt... » Thu Nov 10, 2005 12:57 pm

what...do you leave camera & ipod on the beach with your cover when surfin'.....??

what beach do you surf at...i could do with a new ipod......
nature is a language. can't you read?
if you spend your life looking behind you, you don't see what's up front...

Jamoe
Local

Post by Jamoe » Thu Nov 10, 2005 1:05 pm

MATT is a CRIMINAL!

Shaunm
Snowy McAllister

Post by Shaunm » Thu Nov 10, 2005 3:53 pm

Citrus Cleaner?
Mrs Palmers make one, small bottle was around $8.00. Gets wax off the board a lot quicker than metho.
I got some @ Manly from the surf shop almost opposite Surfection, Condamine St???
Can't state it will work on the bag but worth a try.
Never confuse ambition with ability

Shaunm
Snowy McAllister

Post by Shaunm » Thu Nov 10, 2005 3:55 pm

wanto wrote:ever thought of just being careful about which way you put your board in the cover? if theres only wax on one side of the cover it aint gonna get all over the bottom is it!
I alway put my boards wax to the logo side, never once mixed it up. Cloth bags no prob, hard bags always smears when left in hot car
Never confuse ambition with ability

Poorboy
regular

Post by Poorboy » Fri Nov 11, 2005 8:50 am

Jamoe wrote:i heard paint thinners and stuff like turps was not a good idea as it eats into the fibreglass

and poorboy, how much is the citrus cleaner?
Your right Jamoe thinners will eat the protec on the finish of your board and if there is enough it will start to eat your board. But it would take a fair bit to do this.
As for the price of the citurs cleaner it's $10.00 a bottle and I normally get at least 10 boards worth of cleaning both sides out of a bottle. So not bad for a dollar a board.
Cheers
My eyes bleed when the sun shines....

Sov007

Post by Sov007 » Fri Nov 11, 2005 11:43 am

I just put my board in anyway around and leave it in the sun and always put on some more wax each session.... that way if I ever for get my wax I can just surf secure knowing that there is wax on my board top bottom everywhere. I especially like it when it gets that yellow colour to it after being out in the sun melting and then hardening again and again and again......

Can someone tell me what the difference is between warm and cold water wax, i just mix it up and use whichever is on sale.

i've had my board - its a 9' mini mal about 8" thick for a year and have never changed the wax.... is that bad....... :lol:

Squidlips
barnacle

Post by Squidlips » Fri Nov 11, 2005 2:34 pm

acetone will eat ya bag! however it does evaporate in about 2 mins so wont affect ya board!! me reckon.
hot water and a mop is a good call.

smw1
Local

Post by smw1 » Fri Nov 11, 2005 3:53 pm

acetone will eat ya bag! however it does evaporate in about 2 mins so wont affect ya board!! me reckon.
hot water and a mop is a good call.
Like I said before, I reckon acetone is pretty powerful stuff and you want to be VERY sparing with it. It will chew through board lacquer very quickly. Not to mention keeping it away from your hands etc.

As to mop and hot water, a bit of elbow grease certainly does the trick, and gentle, non-abrasive household cleaners work well too. But then again they cost about the same as or more than the citrus stuff anyway. Make sure the water isn't too hot as well or your board will hate you!

SMW1