Famous folk that surf well

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

phantom

Post by phantom » Wed Oct 19, 2005 6:31 pm

Hey Meatax,whats your beef. :lol:

bc
charger

Post by bc » Sat Oct 29, 2005 7:24 am

chrisb
Owl status

Post by chrisb » Sat Oct 29, 2005 11:30 am

Yeah, but can she surf ?

dUg
barnacle
Location: sitting in my car waiting for someone else to paddle out first

Post by dUg » Sun Oct 30, 2005 9:48 am

I know Chris Issak has hooked up with Billy February a few times when he's visited SA, but from what Nick says he's not ripper material.

I've seen a number of Crows and Port Power players out in the lineup over the years, but I've yet to see one that rips ( and one PP player in particular is a friggen menace and a MAJOR kook ).

Grant Cameron ( you guys outside SA wouldn't have heard of him... been on Radio / TV personality here for years ) surfs pretty good, he's on a Mal most of the time these days, but I've seen him a couple of times out at Waits on a shortboard and he charges for an old fella!

Also heard John Riddel ( Seven News in Adelaide ) surfs, but I haven't come across him in the water.

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Sun Oct 30, 2005 9:33 pm

Anyone see the picture of Bryan Brown with his mal at Bondi in todays paper?
I've never seen big Bryan in the water there though. He used to surf with Nat up at Whale Beach didn't he?

Theres a guy who is on one of those detective/medical/court shows who surfs a mal okay. Hes always in the water at Bondi.

bc
charger

Post by bc » Mon Oct 31, 2005 7:21 am

Chris Isaak surfed Bondi a few years back,
and there was an article about him in Surfer mag a few years back, going over the falls on an 8 foot day near San Fran.

clinker
Grommet

Post by clinker » Sun Nov 06, 2005 4:21 pm

[quote="dUg"]I know Chris Issak has hooked up with Billy February a few times when he's visited SA, but from what Nick says he's not ripper material.

Did Bill February used to be Bill Sedunary ?

loco4olas
charger

Post by loco4olas » Mon Nov 07, 2005 10:10 am

Nick Carroll wrote:
Lamest poseur is Chris Isaak the pop singer, I've seen that guy sneer at real surfers saying he's charged Mavericks. Yeah, right Chris, in your bathtub.
Hmm Dunno about that big brother.

I lived in SF for a while and surfed OB, Fort Point and a semi-secret left suck point called Deadmans (on a tangent, used to park outside Robin William's house when surfing there) with him-and he surfed OK. Like most CA surfers they think they punch way above their weight in the surf......

grazza
Local

Post by grazza » Mon Nov 07, 2005 10:33 am

A few

Andrew Johns - could have been a legit pro surfer, I reckon.

Heath Ledger - not sure how good.

The Poo - enthusiastic

Bruce Springsteen - glory days. Ashbury NJ

loco4olas
charger

Post by loco4olas » Mon Nov 07, 2005 11:21 am

chrisb wrote:
Yeah, but can she surf ?
Does it matter?

Penultimate

Post by Penultimate » Mon Nov 07, 2005 11:37 am

Yeah as for celebs that surf well, I saw Eddie McGuire tearing bags out the island one day - dood was ripping. Launched a monster invert off surge and handled the landing like a pro - it blew me away ...

TL
Grommet

Post by TL » Mon Nov 07, 2005 11:51 am

Robbie Kearns (Melbourne storm front rower) is a powerful goofy footer originally from southern Sydney. He doesn't mind it when its big. The best guy however, is Terepai Richmond (ex whitlams drummer). Could've been pro if he wanted. Still the best surfer in the line up at the Island.

chrisb
Owl status

Post by chrisb » Mon Nov 07, 2005 1:24 pm

grazza wrote: Bruce Springsteen - glory days. Ashbury NJ
I didn't know The Boss surfed - is he any good?
loco4olas wrote: Does it matter?
:lol:

I suppose my post leant itself to such a reply. Then again if I was going to be run over my a mal I couldn't think of a better one than her to do it.

:lol:

Penultimate wrote: Yeah as for celebs that surf well, I saw Eddie McGuire tearing bags out the island one day - dood was ripping. Launched a monster invert off surge and handled the landing like a pro - it blew me away ...
This has gotta be a wind-up...

vb
Local

Post by vb » Mon Nov 07, 2005 2:19 pm

Think I can remember a newpaper pic a few months back showing David Gallop (NRL CEO) natural-footing his way across a handy little wave

Agro
regular

Post by Agro » Mon Nov 07, 2005 3:08 pm

Anyone got any snaps of Jack johnson? I've heard he's pretty flash but never seen any proof.

clinker
Grommet

Post by clinker » Mon Nov 07, 2005 3:39 pm

He is the guest editor of the next issue of Surfer, their are a couple of solid shots of him and his family

Shaunm
Snowy McAllister

Re: Famous folk that surf well

Post by Shaunm » Mon Nov 07, 2005 4:31 pm

Hound wrote:Got into a discussion over the cold rock last night (you gotta love the ice cream) regarding famous people that also surf well, slightly due to the recent forum regarding Andrew Johns and his waves front cover photo. We found it hard to name any band member/singer that could surf well, so many of them sing about it, say they surf, but do they do it well? Eddie Vedder was thrown out, cos supposedly he's pretty much a kook, comment of anyone with money can book out Tavarua and get whipped into Cloubreak. Various others were talked of, including 'the bassist out of Metallica'. the obvious one's of Jack Johnson/Donovan were not allowed as they were surfers first.

So critera was, got to have got famous from being in a band (extended to generally famous for something else) but is actually a good surfer too, oh and we meant good so there's no 'oh I saw Cameron Diaz at the bu in my girlfriends gossip mag'. and possible proof maybe required.

be interested.

Oh and one guy that was agreed on was Andrew Ridgley (the other one out of WHAM! that wasn't George Micheal), very random!!
http://www.colourpress.com/%5Cgfx%5Ctex ... thumbnails% Image
Broke her nose a few months back
or Anna Nichol Smith Image or Cameron

http://www.thezreview.co.uk/images/char ... urfing.jpg

Check out the fin chop scar on butt
Never confuse ambition with ability

BA
Duke Status

Post by BA » Mon Nov 07, 2005 4:47 pm

She's got another fin chop too but ya can't really see it.