Yoga

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

Meataxe
barnacle

Yoga

Post by Meataxe » Wed Sep 21, 2005 10:22 am

Anyone else into distort'en their body? Have been doing it for 4 months now and have been getting crazy results - am waaaaaaaay more flexible than I've ever been before and it's really helped my core strenght

P.S. All you haters can get f*cked.

tootr
Duke Status

Post by tootr » Wed Sep 21, 2005 10:52 am

i love it !

it's no coincidence IMO that most guys i know around mid thirties and older who still surf at a reasonable level on shortboards practise some form of yoga!

Bear
barnacle

Post by Bear » Wed Sep 21, 2005 10:53 am

I once did that Bikram yoga with a crazy friend of mine... its the yoga in a 39 degree room so you sweat like crazy. It was good and gives you this buzz but something about sweating that much in like an hour isnt cool... She did a 60 day challenge... 6 days a week for ten weeks... she did it and went crazy toned and flexi.

Although since then I have gone on 2 archaeological digs in a greek summer where you just sweat bucketloads and lots of people get heat stroke so i cant complain about bikram...

I'd love to do some proper yoga, how much more flexible has it made you? Another mate of mine did it and apparently dropped a few kgs as well!
I do Ninjutsu martial arts, it is helping with flexibility but not as much as I would like.

8)

munch
Harry the Hat

Post by munch » Wed Sep 21, 2005 11:22 am

Done bikram for about 6 months and other forms of yoga for shorter periods and I appreciate what it can do as bikram aims at increasing your core strength as much as it tries to increase your flexiblilty and it worked for me it also seemed to increase my energy levels dramaticaly - I don't do it anymore caused I've moved and it's now really hard to get to the classes which are an 1 1/2 hours and I've tried other forms of yoga close to home but I always look like a complete dick cause I'm always the least flexible and tend to cramp up really easily and so I'm always the one they pick on - "Have at look at the way munch is doing and don't do it that way"

Anyway wish I had the time, one close to home and the inclination but there all a bit scarse at the moment - six weeks to go till the "outing" of the bubs
If it's well engineered it's beautiful .

mad
charger

Post by mad » Wed Sep 21, 2005 11:24 am

Can you mob give us the drum on Yoga, i'm fairly interested being on the wrong side of 40, and though not impartial to feeling a little stiff in the mornings, i'd like to keep that sensation to just one particular muscle.

Do you have lessons, what sort and frequency?

How often and for how long do you indulge in the pretzel logic? Is it just before a surf as well?

Does it help injured or overworked muscles and tendons etc. rehab quicker/better? Cheers

tootr
Duke Status

Post by tootr » Wed Sep 21, 2005 11:34 am

i first did bikram for six months, after about four sessions i was feeling 25 again..but classes and times and $$ make it a hassle..

so got some DVDs and learnt more moves at home...

now i just do it off my own bat as i have learnt enough moves to give every thing a good stretch

frequency at least every second morning and/or a few lunchtimes per week.. a few quick stretches before a surf unless its a winter early where i do few more to warm up

if u take it up it will take a few weeks to get some benefit but when u do you'll wish u took it up earlier

munch
Harry the Hat

Post by munch » Wed Sep 21, 2005 11:56 am

mad wrote:Does it help injured or overworked muscles and tendons etc. rehab quicker/better? Cheers
It helps a lot with muscles more blood flow and all that but I've got some tendonitus in the elbows from climbing and it never seemed to help with that, though I wish it did - but this my own experience others may have had different results :wink:

oldman
Snowy McAllister

Post by oldman » Wed Sep 21, 2005 12:04 pm

It's all good.

The amazing thing about yoga is the way it can increase the muscle mass and definition in spite of the fact that no weights are involved.

I've done it in the past and am looking to take it up again. I've got a bit of a problem knee which I think is as much a structural problem as any particular injury. Yoga is one of the best ways to make sure your muscles get pulled back so they aren't exacerbating any skeletal deficiencies. It seems you can get away with a lot in your youth but by the time you hit 40 those things come home to roost.

There's a legend surfer on the central coast. He's in his late 70's. He's been doing yoga since he was a young lad. If you want to surf into your dotage, you had better take up some form of stretching/yoga routines as a lifestyle.
Lucky Al wrote:You could call your elbows borogoves, and your knees bandersnatches, and go whiffling through the tulgey woods north of narrabeen, burbling as you came.

mad
charger

Post by mad » Wed Sep 21, 2005 12:12 pm

Yeah, all sounds good. Been one of those gunnado things for a while, even got to the door of one of those community classes but it was full of retiree grannies so I did the harold Holt. Thought the aches and pains were less burdensome than the visual tortures I may have endured :wink:

If you know anyone up the Clarence/Yamba way Toastr give us a hoy, otherwise I might go the DVD option (I'm avoiding a lame joke about now).

I'm looking for that edge and from what you blokes are saying I think this'll do it. Still might pass on team granny but!

marty
barnacle

Post by marty » Wed Sep 21, 2005 1:31 pm

anyone recommend a good yoga DVD?
and what do you need to get started, just a mat?

Meataxe
barnacle

Post by Meataxe » Wed Sep 21, 2005 2:25 pm

I wouldn't recommend a DVD - class is so much better. Technique's reeeally important and you can really screw up your back/neck/knees doing it unsupervised. :(

And you'll prob get a cute instructor, mine is ssssssmoken

munch
Harry the Hat

Post by munch » Wed Sep 21, 2005 2:59 pm

Meataxe wrote:I wouldn't recommend a DVD - class is so much better. Technique's reeeally important and you can really screw up your back/neck/knees doing it unsupervised. :(

And you'll prob get a cute instructor, mine is ssssssmoken
I second that

Brick

Post by Brick » Wed Sep 21, 2005 4:07 pm

Doing classes is better if you have time (ie: no young kids) and especially if you're new to yoga.
However I bought "Yoga for Surfers" a year ago as a DVD and have never done a class since. I'd also rate it pretty good for beginners to yoga. Both the pre-surf and post surf sessions take approx 15 minutes each so you can easily fit them into your life
Since that time I've also bought "Yoga for Surfers" 2 & 3 which are a bit more advanced but still very manageable for those who are not yoga masters.
They are all available at the Realsurf shop.

Larry
barnacle

Post by Larry » Thu Sep 22, 2005 2:19 pm

that legend old boy up the coast that olodman mentioned is barry magoo - ex south bondi 1950's and he has been a yoga disciple for 50+ years

he would stand on his head for about an hour down at the polio pit and work a length of string up one nostril and out the other - no hands -

he didn't have a lot of girlfriends - but he caught plenty waves

laz

loco4olas
charger

Post by loco4olas » Thu Sep 22, 2005 6:14 pm

Larry wrote:that legend old boy up the coast that olodman mentioned is barry magoo - ex south bondi 1950's and he has been a yoga disciple for 50+ years

he would stand on his head for about an hour down at the polio pit and work a length of string up one nostril and out the other - no hands -

he didn't have a lot of girlfriends - but he caught plenty waves

laz
Isn't he Goodies mysterious long lost twin?

Matt