Surfing Psychos

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Surfing Psychos

Post by Beanpole » Fri Jul 15, 2005 10:53 am

Surfing has always attracted more than its fair share of psychos. Some have been great surfers others have just been apprentice or fully fledges psychos.
Usually the guy who turns up in the big car with the new board and can't surf isn't a psycho. He may be a dork but he is only unintentionally dangerous.
The hard core local who lives only for his closely guarded local territory and thinks the rest of the world is encroaching on his world has real psycho potential. Obsessive behaviour, fanatical commitment, can't hold down a steady job,reckless, life threatening behaviour, risk taking. They might even smoke pot :shock:
They may go to ridiculous extremes of deprivation to find waves in dangerous places :evil:
Lets face it this is not normal behaviour :D

Braudulio
Grommet

Post by Braudulio » Fri Jul 15, 2005 10:58 am

and you say all of that like it's a bad thing??!!

Carbon
regular

Post by Carbon » Fri Jul 15, 2005 11:38 am

I could name a few local's that come under that list

but anyway local's are crap... nomad's are where it's at.. we just cruise around and get wave's.. and the only time that local's place is firing we rock up and have it to..
smnmntl wrote:Matty.... surfers don't talk to each other in the water because many of them are secretly gay and just want to bum each other off.

Johnno
Harry the Hat

Re: Surfing Psychos

Post by Johnno » Fri Jul 15, 2005 11:42 am

Beanpole wrote: Lets face it this is not normal behaviour :D
Since when.............even have a frame certificate to say I'm CcCrrAAzzEE.ImageImage

Searcher
Grommet

Post by Searcher » Fri Jul 15, 2005 12:01 pm

Good call Carbon.

So what about the skinny bloke who's as quiet as a mouse until he hits the water and takes on the heaviest pits imaginable, then gets back to land and hits the bakery like nothing's happened?!?!

Is this behaviour culling other psychotic urges that the individual would otherwise pursue?

Makes you wonder... What if those school massacre blokes had taken up surfin some heavy reefies to get rid of their anger ay?

Searcher
Grommet

Post by Searcher » Fri Jul 15, 2005 12:05 pm

P.s Blokes that talk about themselves being crazy or think they are crazy aren't crazy. Their just tryin to make emselves feel bigger

Blokes that just do sh/t cos they feel like it are

Johnno
Harry the Hat

Post by Johnno » Fri Jul 15, 2005 12:24 pm

Hay Searcher Surfing the roof of a HD holden panel van over the old Hawksberry River bridge at 100mph normal :wink: :lol: :lol:

WANDERER
Owl status

Post by WANDERER » Fri Jul 15, 2005 12:29 pm

Johnno wrote:Hay Searcher Surfing the roof of a HD holden panel van over the old Hawksberry River bridge at 100mph normal :wink: :lol: :lol:
MPH!!!!!!

dats crazy man!!

My old man and his mates used to tweak old Vaxhalls and the like and do 90mph down the hills around the gong... that didnt know what crumple zones were back then...

chrisb
Owl status

Post by chrisb » Fri Jul 15, 2005 12:59 pm

In the 1970's MP was an undiagnosed schitzophrenic. He smoked pot big time which probably worsened his condition. He was antisocial, inarticulate and a lunatic car driver. He was obsessive, especially about outsurfing everyone and winning surf contests.

And for a few years in the '70's he was clearly the world's best.

In MP's bio Terry Fitz suggests that had MP's schitzophrenia been diagnosed and treated earlier then MP may not have reached those great heights (and subsequent lows).

It makes you wonder.

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Fri Jul 15, 2005 2:31 pm

Guaranteed many surfers invest things in their relationship with the waves that they can't or won't find a home for anywhere else.

It's no coincidence, for example, that all but two of the world pro champions (men and women) since 1976, and a sizeable majority of the high pedigree performance surfers through the period, came from broken or disrupted family backgrounds.

In the end this kind of emotional investment has its limits. Try as you might, you will not get the ocean or the waves to talk back or respond to you in any way at all. Nor will the ocean have your children, nor look after you in your old age.

MP was an extreme case -- his schizophrenia, his drug use, and his bizarre family background made it all but impossible to grow up. But a similar battle awaits almost all brilliant surfers at some point -- they have to learn how to be human, how to fully relate to other humans instead of waves.

It's a tough one and I'm sure we can all think of a few people who haven't made it through the process unscathed. Grumpy old hardcore locals are just one type. One difficulty the Grumpy Local faces is that he can't seem to see other surfers as humans; instead, they're seen as ill-defined threats.

(Which is a roundabout way of saying: Don't bloody come out the Peak! :wink: )

robh
regular

Post by robh » Fri Jul 15, 2005 3:15 pm

Nice load of shit u wrote there...

JEEBUS
regular

Post by JEEBUS » Fri Jul 15, 2005 3:19 pm

robh wrote:Nice load of shit u wrote there...
agree :roll: :roll:

Johnno
Harry the Hat

Post by Johnno » Fri Jul 15, 2005 4:30 pm

Nick thats better than wanto's cell phone joke..................Image

Mate I like a laugh.................. thanks. :lol:

Larry
barnacle

Post by Larry » Fri Jul 15, 2005 6:24 pm

2.30am - July 15th 1998 - The Bulli turnoff - Two 'Gong locals speed skate the length of the strip from the top of the hill to the truck escape - on both sides of the road - nobody dies -

laz

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Fri Jul 15, 2005 8:12 pm

Always good to post a sensationalist topic I reckon :D
MP is an obvious example but then how about Keith Paul?
That guy could surf 8)
Locals who think its okay to rip off everyone because they surf their waves?
I hate to mention Martin Bryant but the guy used to surf too :twisted:
Nicks right on the money as far as I'm concerned.

Boozer
barnacle

Post by Boozer » Fri Jul 15, 2005 8:16 pm

Martin Bryant used to drive around in an old mercedes with a board bolted to the roofracks.

Not a particularly good example.

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Fri Jul 15, 2005 8:30 pm

I guess he must be a pseudo surfing psycho then.