Surf Rage

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

eMpowered
Local

Surf Rage

Post by eMpowered » Wed Jul 20, 2005 8:41 pm

Was'nt gunna post but I was on holiday's up at Broken Head last week scoring epic waves all week. on my second last day I was surfing Broken rights feeling great, but perhaps in hindsight paddeling back to the inside after getting waves a bit to much. I took off on a set and heard a guy yell fuck off to me. Being in a good mood I paddled back out and said "what did you say mate, have a nice day" to which he stormed over to me and started carrying on big time. I did not think or know he was local at this stage as he did'nt look like he was local to that area. We carried on for a few minutes at each other and at one stage locked arms and he headbutted me. I was still in such a good mood that all i could do was laugh - Not necissarily at him but just the situation we were in. Then out of nowhere this other and bigger bloke storms over from a good 15 metres away stating to the other guy "If your goiing to hit him then do it like this" As he was about to punch me I said "For fucks sake im on holidays with my family. Calm down. I later found out these guys actually live in the caravan park at Broken. All the first guy had to do was communicate that he was a local and I would have paid my respects. As for the second guy he was quite the phycho, Continually telling me to go in after that, Throwing his weight around. Quite the lunatic. I am more than happy and always have paid repect to locals in my travels but I have never quite come across any like these two.

One Mile Point
Snowy McAllister

Post by One Mile Point » Wed Jul 20, 2005 9:03 pm

headbutted lol

Johnno
Harry the Hat

Post by Johnno » Wed Jul 20, 2005 9:11 pm

Don't call it Broken Head for nothing................ :wink: :lol:

breaks
Grommet

Post by breaks » Thu Jul 21, 2005 2:40 pm

I was surfing at Bronte one morning with a mate and two other surfers only. One of them blatantly dropped in on the other - so much so that the inside guy had to push the drop-in guy in the back as they collided to prevent major head injury. May have pushed him a bit hard just to make the point, but I reckon if you have to push a guy dropping in on you to save your skin then your entitled to push a little harder to make the point.

So both go down and come up in the white water. The drop-in guy goes off at the other guy, like ".. and who the f... are you - you don't live here" wants to go into the beach and have a fist-e-cuffs etc :evil: . This is the guy who did the dropping in! They are sitting side by side and the drop-in guy is trying to wrestle the other guy off the board. I couldn't believe it myself and had never seen surf rage like this before. The inside guy just called the drop-in guy a thug and a drop-in etc and didn't really paddle off. Handled pretty well I thought.

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Thu Jul 21, 2005 10:03 pm

I remember seeing a similar incident earlier this year. It ended up with the guy screaming at his nemesis who was telling him to take it easy, then screaming at everyone in the general vicinity as a bunch of blowins. Hadn't seen much of him around the traps come to think of it :? Maybe he was just an oversized grommett :?: He was seething and not catching any more waves. Finally got one. He didn't do much on it and he went in.

I happened to walk past him on the beach. He was talking to a couple he apparently knew going "Oh wow, I'm going up to Byron. Its going to be really cool" like he was mister laid back hippie groover.
Just another agro Sydney blowin up there.

Clif
barnacle

Post by Clif » Fri Jul 22, 2005 8:43 am

had a run-in at sth straddie.

burleigh local tried to pull his same tricks up there so i said something like "mate, its not burleigh, so chill out". bloody kook started going off and punched me in head. so i, being relatively small and largely stoopid, lept off my board to gain momentum and connected a fist on his eye. good hit too. WHACK!.

rofl.

but it was a also BAD MOVE. he proceeded to drown me and pounded me to smithereens.

RULE 1 for surviving surf rage fight: stay on your bloodyboard. hehe.

next day, same guy hassled a bodyboarder and hit him . when the burleigh boy paddled in there were about 30 15-18 yo bodyboarders waiting for him. and they all started wailing on him. broke his board, and kept smashing him as he tried to get away up the beach. he was begging them to stop.

i became good mates with the bodyboarders.

surf rage: it brings people together, ahhhhhhh.

:D

chrisb
Owl status

Post by chrisb » Fri Jul 22, 2005 1:24 pm

[quote="Clif"]had a run-in at sth straddie.

when the burleigh boy paddled in there were about 30 15-18 yo bodyboarders waiting for him. and they all started wailing on him. broke his board, and kept smashing him as he tried to get away up the beach.
]
Good one Clif - sounds like the fight in "Point Break". Instant Karma.

Thankfully, I personally have only witnessed verbal abuse, even after witnessing a grossly foolish life-threatening drop-in at 6' breaking in 1' water depth at The Pass. The inside rider was forced to straighten up and crashed into a group of 3 paddling out - the whole lot of them were then ground into the sand. They displayed good self-control by only giving the drop-in an earful.......the humiliated idiot pissed-off shortly after thereby making our world a safer place.

philw
Local

Post by philw » Fri Jul 22, 2005 3:34 pm

the mal is obviously a better choice for fighting!

barazza
Grommet

Post by barazza » Fri Jul 22, 2005 5:20 pm

Richard Marsh and Dave Ballard rolling around in the sand after an altercation in the water at cronulla, funniest thing i have ever seen wish i had a camera would of made a fortune out of the surfing mags! two pro's both from cronulla one a stand up one a lid and the lid kicked assssss.
happened about six years ago! i'll never forget it!

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Sat Jul 23, 2005 11:10 am

Clif wrote:had a run-in at sth straddie.

burleigh local tried to pull his same tricks up there so i said something like "mate, its not burleigh, so chill out". bloody kook started going off and punched me in head. so i, being relatively small and largely stoopid, lept off my board to gain momentum and connected a fist on his eye. good hit too. WHACK!.

rofl.

but it was a also BAD MOVE. he proceeded to drown me and pounded me to smithereens.

RULE 1 for surviving surf rage fight: stay on your bloodyboard. hehe.

next day, same guy hassled a bodyboarder and hit him . when the burleigh boy paddled in there were about 30 15-18 yo bodyboarders waiting for him. and they all started wailing on him. broke his board, and kept smashing him as he tried to get away up the beach. he was begging them to stop.

i became good mates with the bodyboarders.

surf rage: it brings people together, ahhhhhhh.

:D
30 lid riders :shock: You've allready got me worried. Never mind the beating.

nthnbeachesguy
Local
Location: Sydney, where??? dont take a rocket scientist to figure that out!

Post by nthnbeachesguy » Sat Jul 23, 2005 12:20 pm

Surf rage??? Hmmm seen lots of it, been directed at me, directed it at others and have been a spectator on numerous occasions.

Generally im only guilty of it myself when its at my local but even there its kinda few and far between. I remember going down one day and the point was pumping, nice lefts from the square rock to halfway down the beach. THere were a few peaks down the beach less crowded which me and a couple of mates paddled out to first. I really cant resist the point when its good so i ended up paddling up there and waited for a while. Didnt recognise next to anyone, couple of the regular weekend warriors but mostly blow ins. One guy paddles straight up my inside likehe owned the joint, could surf ok but the fact there were 25 guys i had never seen before and then this clown did that kinda made me see red. Next set he takes off so i just drop in and he watches as i do bout 5-6 top turns paying no attention to his shouting.

Pull off at the end of the wave and he comes up asking what my f__king problem is, I lose it sit up on my board turn around and start screaming at this guy that he is my f__ken problem and he should go back t wherever the f__k he came from, snaking c__t this and that, all with my eyes popping ut my head and spittle landing on his face, veins popping outta me neck etc. Got that outta the way and he actually apologised. I calmed down and apologised myself, asked if he knew how annoying it was that u surf some everyday, good or bad then when it gets good a whole heap of ppl u dont know turn up and behave as if its their wave.

Didnt realy become friends ha ha but at least tere was an understanding. Mates on the peak down the beach reckoned they could hear everyword i said and were pissing emselves. Upshot was that i didnt have any more problems that day but getting urself that angry and worked up kinda puts a weird vibe on the rest of ur surf.

I remember when i was a grommet, bout 12-13 surfing down there, one of the locals, also bona fide nutbag named Boxhead had a swing at me, for what i cant remember but looking back now u would think that 40 yr old bloke who used to speak to me old man and had seen me down there learning when i was 6 through till then woulda given a kid the benefit of the doubt. Think it had something to do with me being in his road when he was taking off or something ha ha.

Spent a month in hawaii early season 2002 and had no dramas at all over there. Having said that, didnt even bother with pipe, or velzyland, pipe being the one place someone other then Jesus could walk on water steppingfrom head to head. Actually spoke to a guy out at Sunset who at the time i didnt recognise for about 20 mins, called me into a cuple of waves and was i thought, a realy nice guy. After a while a hawaiian guy comes up and asks how i know Darrick Doerner. WTF????? He was kinda like, "bra he dun talk to guys most times and he was calling u int waves, lucky bra", kinda stoked after that ha ha.

Me old man lived there early 70's i think for bout 6 months, became friends with a guy some of u mght have heard of named Jose Angel, after that didnt have to many problems. Told me one story of how a hawaiian punched him out for no apparent reason one day. Next day the guy has come up and the old man is like oh f__k not again, but he is full of apologies and turns out he found out Dad was a mate of Jose's, hilarious stuff.

NC me old man remembers one day out Newport Pool years ago it was just him and ur brother and on what me old man reckons was set of the day, Tom put his blinkers on and just dropped in. Reckons it was one of the best waves he ever saw out there and all he could do was sit in the foam and watch ur brother do his thing, he laughs but it now but dun think he was too impressed at the time.

dan
regular

Post by dan » Sat Jul 23, 2005 1:30 pm

Yeah, good stories the lot of ya! And good to see some altercations being sorted with words instead of fisty cuffs. Doesn't work 100% of the time, but gotta remember that not all people who top their nut in the surf are unreasonable people. But having said that, there are always gonna be dicks no matter what sport you do. It's a matter of ignoring those who are (dicks) and not playing into their ego trip.

And well if all else fails and you're confident of your abilities, then by all means teach each other a lesson the old fashioned way. If you win, you've dealt a big blow to their pride and you'll be a happy chap... in an indeal world...

bookster
barnacle

Post by bookster » Sat Jul 23, 2005 5:10 pm

dan wrote:Yeah, good stories the lot of ya! And good to see some altercations being sorted with words instead of fisty cuffs. .
I reckon a few words that would help are "hey, few good ones out here eh?" or even a simple "gday" on paddling out.... seems to be a lot of scowling on seeing another surfer invade one's "territory".

dan
regular

Post by dan » Sun Jul 24, 2005 9:07 pm

You can still get burnt by saying "gday" or "nice wave on that one". It's happened to me once where this guy just ignored me completely (and no, he wasn't deaf). Then the rest of the session he kept trying to vibe me with the ol' stink-eye. I just smiled like a retard and kept catching waves.

bookster
barnacle

Post by bookster » Sun Jul 24, 2005 9:41 pm

Yep, smiling like a tard sounds good to me... anything that annoys those neanderthals that thinks the surf is only for their enjoyment, not mine.

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Mon Jul 25, 2005 10:25 am

nthnbeachesguy wrote:NC me old man remembers one day out Newport Pool years ago it was just him and ur brother and on what me old man reckons was set of the day, Tom put his blinkers on and just dropped in. Reckons it was one of the best waves he ever saw out there and all he could do was sit in the foam and watch ur brother do his thing, he laughs but it now but dun think he was too impressed at the time.
If it's any consolation, your dad has joined an elite group -- Tom's victims include some of the world's finest surfers :wink:

And dear oh dear! Boxhead! He used to terrorise the Bungan grommets, oddly always picking on much younger surfers; it was as if he resented their youthful stoke. We used to look forward to his occasional visits to Newport -- frankly, the psycho heavy act didn't quite carry to another beach, and out the Peak he became merely a figure of fun.

Anyone else think of classic Renowned Local Meatheads -- guys whose witlessness spanned generations?