surfing girlfriends/boyfriends

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

Shari
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Shari » Tue Jul 05, 2005 2:31 pm

that goes both ways marcus!!!

AnthonyN

Post by AnthonyN » Tue Jul 05, 2005 2:53 pm

after goin out with a girl that surfs for almost 18months, never again!! It seems like a good idea at first...but trust me its not. She would always want to go surfing with me and my friends and surfing is meant to b MY time, then she would get the shits if i said no. to make matters worse she would complain if i would go somewhere where the waves were barelling, slightly heavy or over 4 foot coz it was too hard for her....here is ur warning fellas....dont do it!!

thermalben
charger

Post by thermalben » Tue Jul 05, 2005 3:08 pm

marcus wrote:ever noticed everyone going in to a club looks happy, and everyone coming out looks bummed? like lining up for a gas chamber
hehe.. so true Marcus!

lizard king
Grommet

Post by lizard king » Tue Jul 05, 2005 3:15 pm

wow.... I guess that the idea is don't surf with your loved one....
I was thinking about teaching her.....but now!! time to re- think..

Must admit that I do think it's kinda cute when you see a happy couple
having a quick smooch, while waiting for a set to come through..

Spoon
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Spoon » Tue Jul 05, 2005 5:10 pm

Another problem is that you surf the same break and then the relationship goes sour you still see them around when you are supposedly going for a bit of R&R to get over it. Fortunately I have a wife who is in need of holding the nose to go underwater and is quite content to ride a lid with my 9 year old daughter so I am safe and still in position for solitude when required or needed in this hectic world of ours.
Al this is gold. "She didn't realise I was fairly high and spent much of the evening trying to figure out why a purple and orange cow wanted me to climb a tree."

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Tue Jul 05, 2005 6:34 pm

I suspect many hardcore surfers are somewhat engaged in an affair of sorts with the ocean, and may even feel comfortable leading a double life -- spouse over here, surf over there -- for similar emotional reasons as people have conventional affairs.

I wonder if this added to the cruelty of your ex-boy's mockery, Ms Purple -- he laughed to see his secret mistress kicking your arse. (What a rotten thing to do, by the way.)

Surfers invest tremendous -- and sometimes rather weird -- quantities of passion in their relationships with waves and surf spots. There's something strongly reminiscent of sexual jealousy in hardcore ultra-localism, for instance; in the end, both are about power, and an ill-defined feeling of loss. There's something like sexual obsession in the way some surfers just turn their lives entirely over to the pursuit of faraway waves, abandoning loved ones, jobs, everything -- yeah, really romantic when you read or hear about it but it doesn't always end up too romantic down the line.

Fark, sorry, probably got a bit heavy for the thread there.

hey wanto, pony kicked the bucket?

Johnno
Harry the Hat

Post by Johnno » Tue Jul 05, 2005 6:55 pm

Hi Nick reading between the lines thought you might be fishing :wink: :lol:

Not to heavy :lol:

But then again I have been know to be wrong.......... :lol:

platty
regular

Post by platty » Tue Jul 05, 2005 7:30 pm

I've been surfing with my partner for over 20 years now. She is allways in the water before me. The only hassle is is getting told to get a move on in the mornings. And the odd that's my wave. And being an ex Newport Plus member she knows how get her fair share of waves. platty.

marcus
Owl status

Post by marcus » Tue Jul 05, 2005 10:31 pm

smnmntl wrote:
ever noticed everyone going in to a club looks happy, and everyone coming out looks bummed? like lining up for a gas chamber
Actually I would have thought that everybody going into the gas chamber would have looked kind of bummed....and nobody ever came out, bummed or otherwise. But aside from that - what clubs have you been hanging around? as an occasional enthusiastic clubber, I can testify that plenty of people emerge totally stoked. And not just because of the drugs. I really hate it when people write off an entire scene or group of people, especially when they don't have any experience of what they're talking about. Or did you have a bad time at a club once and got all bitter and twisted from the experience?
glasshouse wollongong, tell me between that place and carmens, when arent they full of tossers?
some people like showing off, some people like plastic cars with blow off valves and some like bullshitting, all really on the same level to me.

new edited bit, my brother who's an occasional clubber told me there are places like tank and greenwood where people actually go for a good time.
im not experianced in pills at all, but the clubs like carmens and glasshouse...jeez i only go if someone drags me allong and its free entry.
Last edited by marcus on Tue Jul 05, 2005 11:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Oscar Wilde - "I am not young enough to know everything"

betty boop
regular

Post by betty boop » Tue Jul 05, 2005 10:58 pm

marcus wrote
ive made it a rule im not dating a chick unless she's into the water
In my youth, I did a lot of hiking and rogaining (a bit like orienteering but at night), and always imagined that my partner would be into those things, or at least an active sort of bloke. Imagine my surprise when I started going out with a smoker who hadn't even been bike riding for 15 years (until I asked him out on a bike riding date) and who wasn't into any outdoor things at all.

We've got two kids and have been together 10 years (eek that makes me very old). He is not (no surprise) into surfing although he tells me that he might come do something surf related with me when we move to the beach next year. Last year on holidays I made him go on a surfing lesson to prove to me that he doesn't like it.

So, I think that to limit your partner choice on a strict criteria might mean that you miss out on someone special, although I can understand your sentiment[/code]

marcus
Owl status

Post by marcus » Tue Jul 05, 2005 11:24 pm

spose your right there betty boop
Oscar Wilde - "I am not young enough to know everything"

dilution

Post by dilution » Wed Jul 06, 2005 7:18 am

I've been trying to teach my girlfriend to surf for about 3years now. Let me tell you that it's not the easiest thing in the world. I've been surfing for 20yrs, and you think you know a bit about wave riding by that time, but geez I get some hell for trying to teach.

She's only ever riden foamys in my experience.

So we go away on a surf trip last summer, with a whole bunch of non-surfing successful career types. Sarah, not wanting to be the surfers girlfriend who couldn't surf, put everything into being better than the rest. She listenned to the instructor, did the lessons right, and then got out there on her own board (not the big foamy things), and took off on this perfect little unbroken wave. Riden sideways all the way to the beach, she'd never experienced the feeling I'd had for so long till that moment - 2 or so years after she started. Eye's beaming, massive smile and giggling she was so stoked, paddled out ready for the next one.

There's a picture of her on that wave stuck to our fridge, to remind her where I go every Saturday morning for 4hrs, and to remind her that only a surfer knows the feeling. reckon she'll surf forever now - which is a good thing.

Bring it on girls.
OFF the TOP

booter
Local

Post by booter » Wed Jul 06, 2005 10:23 am

dilution wrote:I've been trying to teach my girlfriend to surf for about 3years now. Let me tell you that it's not the easiest thing in the world. I've been surfing for 20yrs, and you think you know a bit about wave riding by that time, but geez I get some hell for trying to teach.

She's only ever riden foamys in my experience.

So we go away on a surf trip last summer, with a whole bunch of non-surfing successful career types. Sarah, not wanting to be the surfers girlfriend who couldn't surf, put everything into being better than the rest. She listenned to the instructor, did the lessons right, and then got out there on her own board (not the big foamy things), and took off on this perfect little unbroken wave. Riden sideways all the way to the beach, she'd never experienced the feeling I'd had for so long till that moment - 2 or so years after she started. Eye's beaming, massive smile and giggling she was so stoked, paddled out ready for the next one.

There's a picture of her on that wave stuck to our fridge, to remind her where I go every Saturday morning for 4hrs, and to remind her that only a surfer knows the feeling. reckon she'll surf forever now - which is a good thing.

Bring it on girls.
This post gave me goose bumps.
:D nice post!

breaks
Grommet

Post by breaks » Wed Jul 06, 2005 10:49 am

My missus loves the beach and water but has no interest in surfing. She also loves camping somewhere remote with me and the dog. Above all, she LOVES sleeping in which is just about perfect for a long early surf, a bit of a post-surf rumble and then a post-rumble nap. Leaves me alone to pick my naval in the ocean as well.

Dolphin63
Grommet

Post by Dolphin63 » Wed Jul 06, 2005 11:30 am

Wet women in lycra or rubber have always done it for me, but if you have too much of a shopping list for partner attributes, you cut yourself off from many a chance discovery.

Ms Dolphin has been a surfer for 15 years. We had more fun together as surfers before kids (2 now), but still have fun. Certainly had some blissful surf trips together with free night time and onshore entertainment. With young kids now, we mostly have to surf in shifts - not many babysitters are willing to turn up at 6 or 7 am.

My sister could never aspire to be an astronaut, whereas my daughter does. Present day, there are not many hard core femme surfers wanting to chase double overhead barrels or spend weeks on an Indo boat trip, though that may change one day. So you can get conflict on where to go surfing. Locally, we compromised there with me being highest priority when surf is big and her when smaller.

Unless you thrive on conflict, surfing tolerance is probably more important in a partner than actually surfing, especially if things progress into nuclear family suburban bliss. But having a surfing partner means very little pressure for visiting inland relatives or girly weekends touring inland wineries.

booter
Local

Post by booter » Wed Jul 06, 2005 12:56 pm

surfing tolerance is where its at

stylefirst
barnacle

Post by stylefirst » Wed Jul 06, 2005 4:47 pm

There were two girl bodyboarders surfing whaley today and they were absolutely ripping it up... Not shallow enough to admit they were way better than meand ripped it up...
They had surfers checking them out the whole session and guys cracking onto them only to have the control over them and keep them fishing by paddling off from them in mid conversation...
The girls definately had the attention of many of the guys out on not only their skills but one in particular was a fair sort too...