surfing girlfriends/boyfriends

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

betty boop
regular

surfing girlfriends/boyfriends

Post by betty boop » Mon Jul 04, 2005 10:51 pm

I was wondering, is it better for your partner to surf and get excited about the swell, or is it better to go surfing to get away from them.

Or is it too hard to find one who is not only attractive, also worth spending time with, and keen on surfing?

willie
barnacle

Post by willie » Mon Jul 04, 2005 11:11 pm

i say its better to get away from, so yeh, wouldn't want em getting excited bout it

marcus
Owl status

Re: surfing girlfriends/boyfriends

Post by marcus » Tue Jul 05, 2005 2:05 am

betty boop wrote:I was wondering, is it better for your partner to surf and get excited about the swell, or is it better to go surfing to get away from them.

Or is it too hard to find one who is not only attractive, also worth spending time with, and keen on surfing?
bloody hard finding one that isnt allready attatched.
Oscar Wilde - "I am not young enough to know everything"

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Tue Jul 05, 2005 9:46 am

It'd be nice, but it's not the most important thing. Could just turn into another source of friction if you wanted it to.

Shari
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Shari » Tue Jul 05, 2005 10:13 am

I think that surfing with your girlfriend or boyfriend should be fun.

It would have to better than my learning experience at the hands of my EX-boyfriend while we were in Coolum.

I told him that I would trust him and that if he said that the wave was good, I would go.

After 45 minutes paddling out on my big learners mal, I'm in the lineup and this massive set wave comes. "Go!" he says, it's perfect."

I'm so scared I can't breath but I take off, got smashed so hard on the bank that I was seeing stars, smashed my eardrum full of water, nearly drowned. . . He's out the back holding his stomach because he's laughing so hard and couldn't believe that I would take off on such a big wave just because he said to. I told him I'd trust him. . . That was 9 years ago and I still remember it clear as day.

Now, I imagine a lot of you folks are having a giggle right about now. But let me tell you, the water wasn't the iciest thing in our relationship after that.

I gotta say, letting your boyfriend teach you to surf is going to tell you what his personality is like pretty quickly.

I say go for it. It's either going to be paradise or hell but you'll learn a lot about each other pretty quickly.

At some point you have to surf the same kind of stuff though or somebody's going to be frustrated.

Shari

Meataxe
barnacle

Post by Meataxe » Tue Jul 05, 2005 10:27 am

An you're still holding onto that after 9 years? Women!

Johnno
Harry the Hat

Post by Johnno » Tue Jul 05, 2005 10:29 am

Being married, would love to have a couple of girlfriends to go surfing with :wink: :lol:

Shari
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Shari » Tue Jul 05, 2005 10:53 am

ha ha johnno, yer a funny man, bet yer wife thinks so too ;)

funny thing is, i've surfed with the same group of guys every saturday morning for 5 years and they're all married and none of their wives surf!

oldman
Snowy McAllister

Post by oldman » Tue Jul 05, 2005 11:41 am

Yep. it's probably too hard, but then again you tend to make decisions about relationships based on things other than rational thought processes.

So you can't make it an absolute must, but I think it would be a hoot having a girlfriend or wife who surfs (but not both eh Johnno, they might run into each other).

The girls and women I have met who are surfers have a very attractive earthy natural quality to them, plus a bit of a go-for-it try anything attitude. It's a nice package. The older women (my age - 40's or so) I have met who surf still seem to have a lot of life left in them and usually seem about 10 years younger than their land-lubber counterparts.

That's probably true of the menfolk too, but I ain't so attracted to the menfolk!.

I would love to be planning my next holiday with the wife where we are both conspiring to go to some surf destinations, rather than my surfing being an important, but incidental, side issue for me.
Lucky Al wrote:You could call your elbows borogoves, and your knees bandersnatches, and go whiffling through the tulgey woods north of narrabeen, burbling as you came.

paul attics

Post by paul attics » Tue Jul 05, 2005 11:58 am

my girlfriend wants me to teach her how to surf.
not so sure about it.

last time i tried she was tired after paddling for 5 mins and could hardly paddle onto a wave. possibly because she was riding my 6'4". it was only a few weeks old and i was having images of flailing elbows and knees dinging it up.
and watching the waves out the back while you paddle in circles on the inside is frustrating.

the plus side is that it will be easier to get her to go camping. most girls dont seem to enjoy camping in isolated spots where there is nothing to do but surf.

... and maybe she will have some fun as well.
Last edited by paul attics on Tue Jul 05, 2005 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gazza

Post by Gazza » Tue Jul 05, 2005 12:02 pm

I'm married with 2 young kids, my wife hates the beach and I think thats great. When the surfs cranking she doesn't mind looking after the kids whilst I surf. Then when the surfs crap I look after the kids whilst she indulges in her own interests. A perfect understanding that maximises my time in the ocean when the surfs good. If we both surfed we would have to share the perfect surf days.
I never thought that I could marry someone that didn't share my passion for the ocean but I guess when the perfect girl comes along it doesn't matter either way. I guess either situation has it's advantages, dont worry about their beach preferences, there are other things that are more important.

bro
Local

Post by bro » Tue Jul 05, 2005 12:18 pm

I told my girlfriend once that when i don't surf I sometimes feel like cutting her up into itty bits and buying her in a box in the garden BUT AFTER I surf I feel so good i could marry her. So now she encourages me to go surfing (true story)

oldman
Snowy McAllister

Post by oldman » Tue Jul 05, 2005 1:31 pm

Very sneaky bro, I'll use that one!

As I said, I think it would be a good idea, but really I wasn't talking about teaching my wife to surf. Forget that. You want them to be reasonably accomplished in their own right before you start a relationship.

If you ever want to end a relationship, convince your girlfriend that she should let you teach her any of the following;

- how to surf
- how to drive
- how to vote
- how to think
- how to wash up
- how to put coloured clothing in with the whites
- how to do anything actually.

It's a guaranteed relationship ender. If it doesn't end your relationship, you probably should marry her.
Lucky Al wrote:You could call your elbows borogoves, and your knees bandersnatches, and go whiffling through the tulgey woods north of narrabeen, burbling as you came.

Shari
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Shari » Tue Jul 05, 2005 1:47 pm

wanto, i think she'd make a better looking bride before you chop her up and bury her. . .

marcus
Owl status

Post by marcus » Tue Jul 05, 2005 2:28 pm

ive made it a rule im not dating a chick unless she's into the water, id rather a fire on the beach at night with her than spending cash in some club filled with people that like to bullshit each other.
hard finding one that hasnt got water logging and creases, has been treated well by previous riders, and is pleaseing to the eye.
oh and doesnt have her legrope around some other bloke.

went out with my bro and his girl the other night to a club, ever noticed everyone going in to a club looks happy, and everyone coming out looks bummed? like lining up for a gas chamber.
Last edited by marcus on Tue Jul 05, 2005 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Oscar Wilde - "I am not young enough to know everything"