Surf Brands? Only buy australian made!

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

stuey

Surf Brands? Only buy australian made!

Post by stuey » Tue Feb 24, 2004 1:25 pm

Check the label, before ya buy sumptin from a surfbrand especially. Don't be paying big doh for a so-called ozzie icon made in Chinakoville, or Thai-ed me shoelaces land. If yar buyin an ozzie surf label, made outside o oz, well hell, ya aint much o an aussie. Nike principle applies.

bumbaclot
Supporter
Supporter

Post by bumbaclot » Tue Feb 24, 2004 2:00 pm

QS and Billabong are owned by the same American Corporate Giant, I think. Merchant still owns 20% of Billabong..................kkkkkkkkkkeeeeeeeeeerrrrrrrrrrching!

stuey

Post by stuey » Tue Feb 24, 2004 2:14 pm

There are lotsa underground labels. Just cos the big boys have chucked the country but still trade on the culture and image o **** doesnt mean ya have ta buy from dem. Look around. Ask around. Ya'd be surprised how many little fellas are tinkin the same way. Sure the best rubber is yamamoto, but get the guy around the corner ta make a wetty for ya. Same with surfboards, the country is bleedin jobs to ****. Why help some global conglomerate to take over the board industryand put yar local boys outa work? Salmonella can go and get a dog up 'em! These things used ta be part o the beauty o the sport. It waz OURS! A pie and a few beers while talkin to ya shaper discussin ya new board, maybe a toke or two, then buyin a bit o surfwear with any doh leftover from the discount he gave ya. Not some numbnut in a room o crap music and pretend videos spruikin garbage to ya ta make it SEEM as if yar in a surfshop-their own image of one.Wake up people! Be an aussie and be proud.

stuey

Post by stuey » Tue Feb 24, 2004 2:43 pm

Xisle-vicco eastcoast local brand

Longboarder
regular

Post by Longboarder » Tue Feb 24, 2004 2:47 pm

Too hard to start a clothing company these days with the likes of bong and quik on the shelves, so Aussie brands out there get only niche market areas as there reputation are never that developed. I think you should buy what you want, and if that means buying thai buy thai.

stuey

Post by stuey » Tue Feb 24, 2004 3:20 pm

I agree with ya squid lips! I hate all that corporate crappolla too.These guys wetties are o cos yamamoto rubber, and way cheaper than those Quickly and poorly stitched suits. I just try not ta buy anythin made outside the country unless I absolutely gotta. Strewth, no BS, I even have weetbix sent here to Japan! Only buy aussie meat when I want meat, cadbury made in aussie chocco when I see it, colgate as well(cheaper in japan than aus, tho made in oz!)So, cop that!

Landboy

Post by Landboy » Tue Feb 24, 2004 3:36 pm

Stuey

Hate to disapoint you but Colegate is as Australian as MacDonalds or Nike. It is a US company that uses Australia as a base for Asian Markets and takes the profits back to the US. Globalisation at its best (or worst) - it provides jobs for Aussies but helps reinforce the fact that world trade is controlled by Americans for Americans.

slave1970

Post by slave1970 » Tue Feb 24, 2004 4:11 pm

Stuey Stuey Stuey,

The thought is nice Stuey but I am afraid the idea is abit off track. You are living in an another nation so maybe you should pay respect to that nation and purchase its homemade goods. How good for the oz economy Stuey do you think it would be if every person that has come here from another nation only purchased the products from there own nation like you yourself are trying to do. I would have to say not too good. Sure there is nothing wrong with buying OZ made when you can, but to preach it while living in the womb of anothers economy is just plain selfish now isnt it.

So let me ask you are basic question. When you get back to your heartland here in OZ will you head down the pub and purchase a nice cold aussie beer like maybe a Tooheys, Hahn or even a four xxxx etc? Well good on ya if you do because I am sure you will enjoy your 51% Kiwi and 49% japanese beer while preaching to those around how gold your Aussie heart feels being touched by such a wonderful Aussie Brew. My point is Stuey is that sure buy Aussie when you can but dont reside in another country without the respect of giving something back yourself.

Its so easy!!! I am a proud Kiwi living in OZ who does respect the country I reside in so yes while I am here I do purchase Oz made when I can and if I come across a Kiwi made item then cool its a bonus.

so sweet as Bro

_cant_touch_this
Supporter
Supporter

Post by _cant_touch_this » Tue Feb 24, 2004 4:16 pm

its not very easy 2 find aussie made/owned surf gear...specially wetties

buzzy
barnacle

Post by buzzy » Tue Feb 24, 2004 5:13 pm

I'm pretty sure Billabong was floated on the Oz stock exchange so I'd be really surprised if the majority of shares weren't owned by Australian investors.

As it is I prefer to buy Aussie companies, but I'm not that fussed if production is offshore. As long as the profits come home and some jobs are created here I'm not fussed.

spotty
Local

grassroots

Post by spotty » Tue Feb 24, 2004 6:44 pm

It is really important to buy local brands, the closer to home the better. But if a local product reeks i will buy os.

Surfchaser
Grommet

Post by Surfchaser » Tue Feb 24, 2004 9:03 pm

Slave 1970 -
You are the man, and there's nothing more to add.

Stuey -
Dude, get your ducks in a row before you start spewing. Is that a GM-owned Holden in the garage waiting for your return? Do you spread Kraft-owned Vegemite on your toast? Colgate? Do you mean Colgate Palmolive w/over 100 years of US ownership? Enjoy your Hahn Beer? You mean Chuck Hahn's Beer, Chuck Hahn the Canadian? Hell, even Dick Smith has made a deal with the devil! Want more.......?

Don't get me wrong Stewart I agree with you, think globally, act locally. But puleez dude, say it, don't spray it!

- SC

BTW....If you're interested, Hotline Wetsuits are handmade in Santa Cruz California. I know you'd like to have something Aussie owned and made, but just in case you want one of the best wetties not made in Asia.....

stuey

Post by stuey » Wed Feb 25, 2004 1:46 am

Ahh ta turfpacer. Don't worry mate, I don't live in a cave tho it kinda looks like I do. Know all about Palmolive(ex stockbroker) GM-(currently a consultant to one of their major suppliers). Me post is about SURFGEAR!! And yeah, I do know that bitsa everything is sourced from all over. I just try and buy the one that says made in Aus, cos I figure thats givin some bloke a job at home. Thats the point of me post-ta think about it. The big surf co's want ya ta think they are Ozzie, but they don't wanna set up manufacturin at home. At least yar local boardmaker is local. I dont wanna see yet another golbal co, put blokes outa work. Simple!