Shellharbour marina .. lend the local koori's a hand!

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

Clif
barnacle

Post by Clif » Thu Jun 23, 2005 10:43 am

oh, off the forums for coupla days and find this!!

cheers wanto and johnno. on to it, send my letters off tom.

which peoples land is it...specifically? (so i can put in my letter) i only really know some of the qld crew.

be interesting if there was some dreamtime stories to put on here to get crew motivated. i'll check at the koori centre here at uni. get back to ya.

Boozer
barnacle

Post by Boozer » Thu Jun 23, 2005 12:22 pm

Members of the Wulu Ngulu and Gundangra mobs lodged a claim in 1993, unfortunately without success.

Clif
barnacle

Post by Clif » Thu Jun 23, 2005 12:41 pm

check out
http://www.wollongong.nsw.gov.au/librar ... tml#drtime

local's stories. history from western perspctive tho.

Johnno
Harry the Hat

Post by Johnno » Thu Jun 23, 2005 2:34 pm

Well I've sent a few illiterate essays off and to help keep this going just thought I'd ask if any one else has bothered.......sort of like a roll call. :wink:

One or two won't make a differance but a 100 or maybe 200, then they might start to think they have a problem, or dosn't anyone give a toss.

loco4olas
charger

Post by loco4olas » Thu Jun 23, 2005 2:51 pm

Anyone know if Surfrider is on this?

They're a little weak here-but have been VERY successful in the US.

They have a memberhsip that could get mobilized to start writing in etc.

Matt

mad
charger

Post by mad » Thu Jun 23, 2005 3:43 pm

As Arnie says."DO it NOOW"

Seen first hand corrupt beachfront development on the Tweed (e.g. casuarina and Salt), unbelievably got past shitloads of SEPPs and still got up.
Our ASP lives smack in the middle-nice touch of irony there, did a sweetheart with the developers me guesses, when they should have been front row and centre objecting to coastal dune/foreshore developments.
FWIW the Tweed council has since been sacked and is under ICAC investigation for corruption (shock horror).

Good to send the local koories a bit of support along the way. They're copping it pretty tough govt wise nowadays

marcus
Owl status

Post by marcus » Fri Jun 24, 2005 3:10 am

australand sounds like the same mob of japs that are building a golf course and development near the reefs at cronulla / boat harbour.
Oscar Wilde - "I am not young enough to know everything"

Johnno
Harry the Hat

Post by Johnno » Sat Jun 25, 2005 1:29 pm

Australand are every where, why they even have a development out in Warriewood Road, Warriewood.

Dream home, dream location, dream lifestyle

Sydney's Northern Beaches is fast becoming known as a millionaires' playground. Magnificent beaches and waterways with expansive wilderness-style national parks, greenbelts and golf courses are combined with restaurants, cafes, shops and schools, creating a cosmopolitan environment delivering the lifestyle you've always dreamed of.

Just 2kms from the beach, the Valley Views lifestyle offers you the choice of luxury homes and a spacious living environment that boasts indoor and outdoor living and dining areas, spacious tree lined streets, outdoor spaces and special places.

Check the link below and go to Homes and Land.

http://www.australand.com.au/
Last edited by Johnno on Sat Jun 25, 2005 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

big_spender
regular

Post by big_spender » Sat Jun 25, 2005 4:27 pm

i havent been to seal rocks for 2 years use i use to go camping with mates there heaps in the dunes..... last time we were there 2 rangers told us not to come back as this it is illegal.... anyway .... i was talking to this bloke the other day and he seemed to think the land there has been subdivided for residential and a asphalt road had been laid down..... can any1 confirm or deny this?? i hope its not true

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Sun Jun 26, 2005 10:12 am

This all paints a pretty bad picture for the east coast. When you add these developments together its going to be one overdeveloped mess after another. We are all responsible if we don't try to do something about it.
I don't even like going up to the Tweed Coast anymore. What a scam those very old local goverment officials pulled. They should go to jail. I'm sure like all the other developers from border to border they sleep soundly thinking they have done good for the community. The pathetic thing is they wont be around to live with the consequences.
We should support Shellharbour and Sandon Point indigenous land claims.
One of the things I don't get though with the land rights thing is when they win the fight and then take the money :shock:Do the original owners just get rolled or what?
Those new developments on the central coast were like that I think and I know the blocks for sale near the back beach at Crescent were part of a native title claim. Fingal Head up near the border appears to be one of the better outcomes from a native title claim. Its still looking good.I know owning land means you can do with it as you will but if it is that significant why sell it?
I was a supporter of The Surfrider Foundation but they really appear to be a toothless tiger compared to in the States. They need to achieve more mainstream attention to support their existence.

booter
Local

Post by booter » Mon Jun 27, 2005 10:27 am

dez wrote: shellharbour is already a monstrosity compared to 5-10 years ago..even without a marina..i heard it is gong to kill the shallows?? long gone are the days of mystics, redsands without a soul in sight..the locals must be fuming
we are fuming! Personally I'd be happy to see shallows gone but if it means more people in shellharbour in general - F## that

Rug
Local

Post by Rug » Mon Jun 27, 2005 3:48 pm

Them 'Tent Embassy' protesters are a joke and I for one can't wait for the Marina to be built.

Now you bleedin hearts might be miffed by that comment but when was there a 'Tent Embassy' out in a SW Sydney housing developmnt saying this portion of land has a Cultural Significance? NEVER because there's NO value in the land out there. They just want the 'COASTAL LAND' that has major value attached to it.

Sandon Point for example was a industrial dump site for years and years and was there any protestors complaining that Cultural Heritige has been contaminated because of the dumping? NO but as soon as it's been cleaned up and the VALUE of land sky rockets money hungry grubs stick their hand up wanting a piece of it because there's an apparent Cultural Significance.

I have no time for em and hope they get smashed in the courts.
The best surfer in the water is the one having the most fun.

"Stay happy and everything will be perfectly all right"... Jack Norris