Surfing Competitions and Exclusion Zones

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

filthbarrel
regular

Surfing Competitions and Exclusion Zones

Post by filthbarrel » Fri Jun 17, 2005 2:25 pm

Following on from the frank and robust discussions we have engaged with this week, I offer the following.

In NSW, formal events at beaches require licenses, informal events do not. Generally, a board club will need a license. It is a bit grey, but if it is deemed that an event will not cause conflict to other beach goers and there are no structures (tent example given. . I said what about those personal igloos sun cancer prevention housings . .but then the person was getting annoyed at me -I do have that effect on many people - so I let it go).

Licenses are issued by Councils. Council controls cease at high water mark except beteen flags. Clubbies may take your details, not arrest, and pass them onto Council complince officer who may issue infringement notice.

Council condition on licenses include:
a) You have received approval from NSW Maritime -gone through application and recived permission to run an event.
b) Removal of rubbish
c) Rules on use of PA and airhorns (times:start and finish)
d) proof of public liability insurance

NSW Maritime may issue an aquatic license:
[url]http://www.maritime.nsw.gov.au/docs/app ... ticlic.pdf[/url]

I can reveal to you exclusively (Danny Weidler impersonation -hey, it's Friday) NSW Maritime stated that you can make an application for exclusive use of a waterway, but that this is hardly ever given to a local boardriders club -in fact the lovely bureaucrat said she was unaware of any exclusivity licenes given out in NSW to boardriders over the past 12 months except to EnergyAustralia Open at Newcastle (QS event). State Titles, Australian Titles yes. Usually exclusivity is given when there is concern for members of the public.

District Managers and Safety Managers discuss all applications for exclusivity and are reluctant to hand them out because they get too many complaints from public. When I put it to her that local boardriders clubs often claim an area for a day, she said that such claim is not enforceable in any way -except by, as we all know, a punch in the head.

So if you have the nads, paddle right out into the middle of that comp claiming the good bank. They will shout at you over the PA, but you have every right to seek out the contest director/official/fat bloke who eats all the sausages and explain that unless he can present a Maritime license permitting exclusion (and Maritime said these aren't cheap because the adverts have to go in local papers and be displayed prominently) then he cannot do anything about you surfing there.

Of course that does not stop 6 big boofy blokes on mals coming and sitting inside and outside you and blocking your every attempt to catch a wave -but that happens at most city beaches these days as a matter of course. Of course there are many tactics that can be employed to stop you enjoying a surf.

But no . . . a bunch of baggy arses with some flags cannot set up a tent and claim exclusivity to water without the exclusivity license.

Theoretically, the booger had every legal right to go into the contest zone at Sawtell unless there was an exclusivity license - no mention of this though in their most erudite discourse.

What about other States? There must be Gold Coaster who can tell us how to get an exclusivity license at the Superbank for April and May each year.

thermalben
charger

Re: Surfing Competitions and Exclusion Zones

Post by thermalben » Fri Jun 17, 2005 2:59 pm

filthbarrel wrote:There must be Gold Coaster who can tell us how to get an exclusivity license at the Superbank for April and May each year.
Great discussion FB. Just on the Quik Pro - I'm think that $$ have a lot to do with the council's decision - I can't recall the exact figures offhand, but the event injected a lot of cash into the local economy (many millions), along with a healthy dose of international recognition for the Gold Coast as a tourist destination.

I'm sure that any local club that could generate such impressive figures from their Saturday afternoon rally would also see a couple of cops on PWC's keeping the lineup free of non-competitors too!

Johnno
Harry the Hat

Post by Johnno » Fri Jun 17, 2005 4:06 pm

Thanks filthbarrel for checking that out.

Shaunm
Snowy McAllister

Post by Shaunm » Mon Jun 20, 2005 4:41 pm

Common courtesy should apply.
Even at small beaches like Freshie where they are now holding the odd comp, we who are not involved surf the other 2/3's of that beach not dramas, for larger beaches like Curly, Narra there should be less of a prob (except the old blokes last Sun of every month at Nth Curly who often surf outside the zone and let the mals fly when they fall off and wonder why they didn't get a score)
Never confuse ambition with ability