Body Surfers & Swimmers

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

Should swimmers and body surfers be fined for not remaining in between the flags?

Poll ended at Mon Sep 12, 2005 3:06 pm

Yes
25%
No
64%
Physically Removed From The Water
11%

Total votes: 28

Shaunm
Snowy McAllister

Body Surfers & Swimmers

Post by Shaunm » Tue Jun 14, 2005 2:59 pm

I mostly surf @ Freshwater NSW. It is a very small beach and often over half the beach is flagged leaving little room for riding amongst a large crowd. If we as board riders may be subjected to fines if we surf into the flagged areas (Spring & Summer) and hit someone Should councils through the surf clubs be able to issue fines to swimmers and body surfers who refuse to remain inside their area? Ps I have nothing against propper bobysurfers!!!
Last edited by Shaunm on Tue Jun 14, 2005 4:07 pm, edited 3 times in total.

macca202
Harry the Hat

Post by macca202 » Tue Jun 14, 2005 3:25 pm

Bodysurfers can surf wherever the hell they like.

Johnno
Harry the Hat

Post by Johnno » Tue Jun 14, 2005 5:27 pm

Yeah providing they arn't going to sue me if I accidentally hit one with my board which can be the prospect these days.

Have on a number of occasions over the years come close to hitting one or two and with the numbers of ppl using city beaches, its in the swimmers safety not to go swimming where ppl are surfing.

Not everyone is a competent swimmer and not everyone a competent surfer so some commonsence should be displayed by both.

snakes
barnacle

Post by snakes » Tue Jun 14, 2005 6:04 pm

Johnno wrote:so some commonsence should be displayed by both.
I think you're asking a bit too much there Johnno mate :lol:

snakes

halfy
Local
Location: Don't you think you've had a little too much to drink

Post by halfy » Tue Jun 14, 2005 6:05 pm

it's there own ultimate choice where they go on the beach. They can stay between the flags where the potential to be hit by a surfer is minimal, or they can venture out beyond there section and run the risk of becoming roadkill surfer style.

halfy
Local

Post by halfy » Tue Jun 14, 2005 6:38 pm

mate there fine will be the giant gash they cop right in between the eyes. it will take a lifetime to repay that one

Tahn
Local

Post by Tahn » Tue Jun 14, 2005 8:03 pm

IMHO, if you don't like where ya surfin, surf somewhere else.. As for any morons that _repeatedly_ get in your way. Have a polite chat to them and if they continue to get in your way.. it is your duty to run 'em over..

halfy
Local

Post by halfy » Tue Jun 14, 2005 8:48 pm

or u could just straight up run 'em over, saves time and energy

roosters
regular

Post by roosters » Tue Jun 14, 2005 11:35 pm

on the road if you hit a pedestrian... pretty much in any circumstance, its the drivers problem and the driver can get sued, fined, sent to gaol etc.

i agree with many though, if you run the risk of being outside the flags, or walking the red light, then you probably deserve what you get. Having said that i do like to bodysurf and often find myself out of the flags ( flippers and hand ski on).

So its a catch 22. If your good enough to do it and do it safely then fine. If your not then piss orrrrrrf

BB

Post by BB » Wed Jun 15, 2005 8:16 am

I think it is pretty stupid to swim out amongst a crowd of boards. A couple of years ago I ran over a body surfer after surfing for 50m. He just dropped out of the lip straight under me then came up and accused me of dropping in on him! The problem is that body surfers often put their heads down when they are swimming for a wave so have no real visibility.

I don't think they should be banned and I'll try to take evasive action to avoid injuring them but really I think they should stay out of crowded line ups

dan
regular

Post by dan » Wed Jun 15, 2005 10:09 am

Bodysurfers are always in the way because they can only get on a wave at the very last minute and have pathetic paddling power. Gotta love it when you find that perfect uncrowded shorey on a small summer's day morning, then a bunch of retarded baby-boomers rock up and just float right in front of you looking like stunned mullets whenever you paddle for a set. None of them make any attempt to dodge you and have this mentality that if they just dunk their heads, the sharp pointed surfboard with extra sharp fins (heading straight for em) will just dissappear. It's this look as though they expect ya to do an aerial over their heads that really gets to me.

"don't fargen look, fargen move kook!"

Problem comes down to etiquette, surf etiquette to be precise. Many of them wouldn't have a clue about the rules and I bet that suits them fine. I know surfers that body-surf sometimes(not as their main sport) and they act totally different. They have a certain thing called "respect".

cha_cha_

Post by cha_cha_ » Wed Jun 15, 2005 11:07 am

it is frustrating in the middle of summer to fight tooth and nail to get a small handful of waves only to have to bail or pull back or go straight because of a bunch of swimmers in your area.

I don't think it's really an issue except for those mega busy days like boxing day, ny, oz day etc and i suppose i can get over it on those few days. go to a different spot or just sit out the back and enjoy the tranquility :? and wait for a set. THEN run people over :D

halfy
Local

Post by halfy » Wed Jun 15, 2005 5:58 pm

agreed

Johnno
Harry the Hat

Post by Johnno » Wed Jun 15, 2005 6:44 pm

Can be a distraction as well in summer as I seem to ride the wave to where those bikini clad beauties are frolicking in the shore break :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Gunther
Grommet

Post by Gunther » Wed Jun 15, 2005 7:14 pm

I know a couple of bloody unreal bodysurfers (that take on heavy reefs), and they are completely different than your average one that rocks up at the popular beaches.

Although i would hate to get sued for running over one (accidentally or not :lol: ) i dont think you should ban them from outside flags, coz its unfair to the guys i know can match it with any other surfcraft out there.....

seahag
regular

Post by seahag » Wed Jun 15, 2005 7:53 pm

There are a few issues aren't there? I think that if a swimmer has to be rescued and they haven't been swimming in the flags then they should wear the cost, especially if equipment has been damaged it the course of their rescue. Swimmers should be aware of their ability and if they are too fu(king stupid to stay out of trouble then they should be penalised for causing others to risk their lives.
I personally reckon that if you choose to swim at a surf beach you have to take responsibility for your own safety and not assume that a boardrider (including bodyboarders) can and will pull up for you. Ppl on boards have varying levels of expertise, and may not be able to do so.
And lastly what about when there are no flags and the weather is still OK for swimming, like now.
It really boils down to basic consideration hey.
On another note, good news that they got the Aussie hostage out isn't it. :)
Not a word about Michael Jackson though :roll:
Men are like steel. When they lose their temper, they lose their worth.
Chuck Norris

Johnno
Harry the Hat

Post by Johnno » Wed Jun 15, 2005 8:05 pm

seahag wrote:
Not a word about Michael Jackson though :roll:
Won't attempt to touch that .......................... :lol: